Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

door handles and brakes 92' Prizm

mfulper
02-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Hi,

I just recently bought a 1992 Prizm with 130,000 miles for my daughter. It has a few problems like the front inside door handles are broken. Where can I get new handles and are they hard to replace? Also, I had the brakes inspected and was told that I will need to do the back brakes...drums, shoes, and cylinders before too long. I checked with Auto Zone for prices and was told that the 92 Prizms don't have cylinders. But the brake place said something about the cylinders leaking. Who is right...do they have cylinders or not? Anything else I should know about this particular year Prizm. I would like to get at least another 20,000 miles out of it. Thanks.

It is a car!
02-11-2005, 04:23 PM
if a car uses drums and shoes then it must have a cylinder with little pistons to push the shoes against the drums to stop the car.

and cylinders do leak when old.

some brake shops give you free brake inspections and overstate concerns to get your car in their shop. (keep that in mind)

ps.
maintance items frequently overlooked:
fuel filter!
trans fluid and differential fluid!

smokey041369
03-17-2005, 03:37 PM
the only way to get handles is from a junk yard or the dealership.
as far as the brakes, anytime you by a used car you should change the brake pads, shoes, turn the rotors, turn the drums, and replace the wheel cylinders in the rear.
auto zone = left wheel cylinder part # 33871 , the right wheel cylinder part # 33872

mfulper
03-17-2005, 07:18 PM
Thanks, I found some new handles at a salvage place, cost $30 for two but it beats having to roll down the window all the time to get out. Also had the timing belt changed. The previous owner told me they never did and they checked with the person who sold them the car and they never did either. With 135,000 miles on the car, thought I better get it done.

myproblem
11-10-2005, 03:48 PM
You did the right thing on the belt. You might have a starter problem down the road. If you do check Ebay you might save some money.

mfulper
11-10-2005, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the tip, I may be needing it soon. My daughter said she had a little trouble starting it the other morning, that does not mean there is a problem, but you never know. We are 10 months into this car and so far, so good. I have been happy with.

myproblem
11-11-2005, 01:54 PM
my 92 Geo Prizm has about 100,000 miles more than yours. If this means anything to you. My Geo is a 5 speed manual and I really like it. I have a problem with the heater don't put much heat. You might want to get you some radiator flush and flush the radiator

Gemini555
11-17-2005, 01:25 PM
if a car uses drums and shoes then it must have a cylinder with little pistons to push the shoes against the drums to stop the car.

and cylinders do leak when old.

some brake shops give you free brake inspections and overstate concerns to get your car in their shop. (keep that in mind)

ps.
maintance items frequently overlooked:
fuel filter!
trans fluid and differential fluid!

YES! Trans AND differential fluids are contained in separate reservoirs on this vehicle and need to be changed independently. We have four Prizms in the family, and just found this out when Jiffy Lube drained both on my mother-in-law's car, but only refilled the trans. So, differential went out after a week or two resulting in an entire trans replacement (not economical to replace just differential).

Add your comment to this topic!