Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

F'ed up headlight q's

kaho
02-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Hi. Today I got myself a new pair of head light bulbs to put on. I installed it, wiped them with rubbing alcohol before putting everything together in case my finger oil had gotten onto it, then tried it out. At first it went fine, but 5 seconds later I heard a tingling sound from under the hood of my car, followed by my right head light going back to darkness.

I opened the hood, worked my way back into the headlight, removed the dead bulb, and found that most of the glass of my bulb has burst away, leaving broken glass all over the inside of my headlight pod.

I was told not to touch the lens part of any halogen bulbs as the oil from finger will create a hot spot and the bulb would burst shortly, and if I did touch it, clean it with alcohol cleaners. This is what I exactly do and it didnt seem to matter. Was I missing out something? Also now that I have broken glass inside my light pod, will new bulbs be damaged by them after I put new bulbs into that pod? How would I need to clean them out?

Thank you.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/262684bitch_002.jpg
The bursted bulb. I used to have a pair of Sylvania cool blue bulbs put on and they work fine (their cool blue bulbs dont look blue at all though) HB4 55W are the same specs as the stock ones. This blue bulb, eventhough runs the same specs and bulb type as stock, made a mess.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/262684bitch_001.jpg
The brand is call Eiko. I got it from auto value. Is this brand heard of? I am quite new to these stuff. I just got my car recently.

tacoma man.
02-14-2005, 05:46 PM
i always use a cloth or a rag to change mine out

kaho
02-14-2005, 09:13 PM
You mean everytime when u want to change a new light bulb right?

Its too late, I guess the whole bulb burst thing wouldve been prevented using a rag...its ok now, seems like my new bulb didnt burst, and the shattered glass from the previous one didnt affect this new one in any way.

Add your comment to this topic!