Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1978 F150 fuel problem

05cowgirl
02-01-2005, 09:38 PM
I bought a beat-up '78 F150 for $300 and it ran great coming home. After I got it home, however, I noticed a gasoline smell and looked under the truck, only to find that there was a gas line spewing gas everywhere! I have tried everything to figure out where the stupid thing came from, but to no avail. I was hoping somone here could help! The line comes from somewhere in the front end of the truck (I couldn't trace it very well as it was above a lot of other things I couldn't see past). It ends right next to the in-tank fuel pump on my main tank (on the right hand side of the truck, about two feet from the back edge of the door), but there is nowhere for it to connect. I checked out the fuel pump, the tank, and even looked to see if there was another portion of hose that it should have been connected to - NOTHING! It didn't break, since the end is a clean cut and even has an indentation where there used to be a clamp. Can someone PLEASE tell me where that thing goes? Thank so much!

FORDTRACMAN
02-03-2005, 02:49 AM
You said main tank-so,must be dual tanks. How about the selector valve on the frame?

05cowgirl
02-03-2005, 09:20 PM
That might be it, but where on earth would you find that thing? The hose is only about 5-6 inches long, so whatever it connects to has to be very near that fuel pump, and I can't find anything on the frame that looks like the fuel tank selector valve. Maybe it fell off somewhere along the way? Where would it be if it was there? If it helps, I can try to post some pictures of the offending hose...

FORDTRACMAN
02-04-2005, 06:41 AM
I'm sure it didn't fall off.Your other tank feul line runs to it also.It shouls be mounted on the inside frame rail.

Add your comment to this topic!