Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Subaru WRX Sedan or Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VII?

TrvlynAlec
03-14-2002, 05:46 PM
Now even though the Evo VII hasnt came to the US yet, some mags have gotten some specs on it. The Evo has 300hp, AWD, 28,000-32,000(est.)...And the WRX has 227hp, AWD, and cost 24-28 thousand. Now of course you all say the Evo is better, "duh". But first of all I dont really know how mitsu's engines, trannys, etc. are, and whether or not a 300hp engine will ever last to 100,000+mi. with a 8.8:1 ratio. Also the engine is a long stroke engine, so it should have alot of torque(which is nice to have). On the other hand a WRX has a 8.0:1 ratio, a little less hp, and their engines last according to many owners and mags. Do any of you guys know other specs on the Evo VII, like torque, etc? And how are mitsu's in general? Which do you think is better?

THE4TH
03-22-2002, 08:03 AM
lancer my friend... jackie chan used to own one. you can't not want one if he had one....besides... everyone has a wrx here now...

azn_iMack
04-22-2002, 11:10 PM
i personally would go with the EVO because, to tell the truth, the EVO is a very sexy car. agreeing with the 4th, everybody has a WRX here. i hear from some people that mitsubishi's aren't very reliable but i wouldn't know whether or not to believe them. sorry to confuse, but i'm just throwing in stuff i've heard.

the EVO is a rally machine.

sometimes i wish i could call my MG an "MG-vo" but i think i'm just being a lamer.

THE4TH
04-23-2002, 11:50 AM
the evo is coming my friend and fast.... it'll be here soon, and with well over 250hp .. is what was officially stated... expect 276 or so maybe more.. awd, and the good stuff ....wait till it shows save now, get yourself a good deal... evo evo evo

banchi105
05-06-2002, 01:54 PM
mitsubishi makes nice cars and all
but in this market segment
subaru really knows how to put a nice awd
car together.

both good choices tho

THE4TH
05-10-2002, 10:50 PM
i have to agree subaru does put together a great awd car, but i just wouldn't want a car that everyone has... listen to me drivin a civic si... but you know what i mean

Kopernikus
05-12-2002, 12:28 PM
The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution...EASILY.

sn00pie_2002
05-12-2002, 12:38 PM
Although I think both the new Impreza and Evo are gone soft I think you should definitely get the Lancer.

THE4TH
07-07-2002, 01:48 AM
just make sure you get the killer lancer not this crap one they have now... and get a yellow one.. :)

Grendel
07-07-2002, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by THE4TH
just make sure you get the killer lancer not this crap one they have now... and get a yellow one.. :)

A yellow one? Remember how popular the WR Blue WRX's were? Now everyone owns a WR Blue WRX... I bet the yellow Evo's turn out that way...

I would rather get a black one if they offer it in that color... but im too poor, so I'll keep rockin the Z :P

Anyways... I have heard that when Mitsubishi cars get a lot of miles, they start dyin... dunno if thats the same for Subaru's... Probably just depends on how you treat em...

-Grendel

THE4TH
07-07-2002, 02:17 AM
well the other thing to think is the turbo on the wrx.. it's only been out for a few years i haven't heard any problems with it,.. but it is another thing to go wrong.. a pretty expensive thing to go wrong too..
but as i said i haven't heard any problems with it.. i agree with the yellow but come on it's yellow man you gotta have it

DaveHasselhoff
08-22-2002, 11:18 PM
If quality has anything to do with your needs, RUN, don't walk, away from the Mitsubishi.

THE4TH
09-09-2002, 04:40 AM
i personally like mitsubishi's but i do recall a few years ago there being major complaints of mitsu cheaping out on parts and people having real problems, like the fuel system coming undone.. the whole thing...
or parts falling off for no reason, even in the 3000gt, which one would think would be held by a better standard from the maker.. oh well..
but i would still go mitsu, all the car companies have come a long way, and mitsu, has come a lone way...

Ludachris
10-26-2002, 12:30 PM
Yeah, Mitsu has tons of quality problems :rolleyes: - I've got 150k original miles on my 91 Eclipse GSX (turbo AWD) with many mods and no quality issues to speak of. No engine or tranny rebuild yet and I'm still running the original turbo - and I run the car on the track every-so-often, so it hasn't been babied by any means.

I love hearing about Mitsu's quality problems - I just laugh. Same goes for when some Honda owners try and say Subaru quality is crap... These two companies are proving themselves in the racing circuit, proving many doubters wrong.

Oh yeah, and the engine that's used in the Evo VII (4G63T) is the same block that's in my car (an updated version of course) - it's been around for over 10 years and is proven. If it wasn't reliable, it would have been scrapped a long time ago.

I really like both cars - but Subaru is redesigning the WRX front-end for 2004 and it looks pretty damn good. I say it's a toss up. The Evo should beat the WRX in overall performance on the track, but they're close enough to where daily drivers wouldn't even notice the difference.

-Chris
DSMtuners.com

THE4TH
10-29-2002, 06:40 AM
i agree they will be little diff in a daily driver..
but if your buying one of the two you better not be just a daily driver.
that's what kias are for.. lol

GTi-VR6_A3
12-10-2002, 08:45 PM
ahh this comparison again. not a fair one. should be comparing the STi impreza against the evo vii then i would have no clue what to get. but as far as kik assness goes its the evo until we get an sti announcement.

-GTi-VR6_A3

THE4TH
12-11-2002, 08:45 AM
evo... :D again

dLocke
12-18-2002, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Ludachris
Yeah, Mitsu has tons of quality problems :rolleyes: - I've got 150k original miles on my 91 Eclipse GSX (turbo AWD) with many mods and no quality issues to speak of. No engine or tranny rebuild yet and I'm still running the original turbo - and I run the car on the track every-so-often, so it hasn't been babied by any means.

I love hearing about Mitsu's quality problems - I just laugh.

I had a 90 Eclipse GSX and it had problems. A transfer case recall and a transmission noise that I could never figure out. Of course, the recall was fixed for free but you still have to be careful with that car. If you don't keep the belts in good shape, they may break and your valves collapse and you pretty much just totaled you engine. Didn't happen to me, but it did to 3 guys I know.

axionsk8er677
06-07-2003, 09:26 AM
I think that the all new wrx sti is better than the evo 8 because it has over 300 hp and it ahs more tourque than the evo 8 the wrx sti is pushin 300 pound foot of tourque and the evo 8 isant even pushin that much plus the wrx sti has a better quarter mile time and top speed so you cant beat it so you might as well join it ya mean holla at me WRX Sti fo life

Add your comment to this topic!