Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

AWD Conversion

AutomotiveArticles
01-27-2005, 08:31 AM
SUMMARY: We have just finished the AWD conversion on the project GST.  This article contains a complete walkthrough of how to perform the AWD conversion on a 2nd gen DSM.

View full article (http://www.automotivearticles.com/AWD_Conversion.shtml)

What do you think about this story? Post your comments below.

97_3clipse
02-27-2005, 10:51 PM
it looks solid ,BUT i would like to see alot more pics for everyone to get a good idea of how much labor it is....but with that said i give it a "A"

civicblumagik021
02-28-2005, 10:51 AM
if i get an rs and i turbo it would it make sense to do the awd conversion? how much would it cost? please reply asap thank you

97_3clipse
02-28-2005, 05:47 PM
if i get an rs and i turbo it would it make sense to do the awd conversion? how much would it cost? please reply asap thank you
RS :nono: do you understand alhow much work that is? lets see...4g63 swap =alot of fabercation then awd conversion even more work... i would expect that to take a year to complete at the minunium!

civicblumagik021
03-01-2005, 12:25 AM
i am new to dsm's because i have been a honda guy so please tell me if i want to put a turbo on an rs, i would have to swap out the entire motor? I thought the turbo models have the same motor as the non turbo models (aside from turbo)

TsiTalon9587
03-01-2005, 10:14 AM
No, they are entirely different. If you actually wanted to turbo your rs, no you would not have to swap out your entire motor. A turbo came with a 4g63, while a n/a came with a 420a. Also, if you want awd, buy a dsm that came sock like that, easier in the long run, as is if you want a turbo dsm, buy one that came stock like that.

civicblumagik021
03-02-2005, 12:16 AM
thats a lot of cash that i don't have i was hoping to get the money to turbo it later... i havn't bought a dsm yet but my budget (for car only ) is $3400 so do you see what i mean?

Jaded Mitsu
03-08-2005, 10:40 AM
does the awd have to come from a 2g eclipse?

97_3clipse
03-11-2005, 11:26 PM
^^yes.

tynebeach
07-23-2005, 02:24 PM
thats a lot of cash that i don't have i was hoping to get the money to turbo it later... i havn't bought a dsm yet but my budget (for car only ) is $3400 so do you see what i mean?

That doesn't mean that you can't buy a turbo AWD DSM though. I bought my 91 Tsi for $3000, a friend of mine picked up a 90 Laser for $2000 and another friend picked up an almost mint 95 Tsi for $5000. If you really want a 2g then save up some money and get a 95/96 (2Ga) all wheel drive turbo.

Thor06
12-18-2005, 07:05 PM
I'd just like to say damn, nice job on the write up.

TurboedV6
01-22-2006, 01:15 AM
Hey, I'm doing the same swap, I'm about 75% done but we are having trouble wiring up the new awd fuel pump, I just seen your write up and I was wonder can you give me more information on how you wired the fuel pump. Thanks A Lot!

TurboedV6
01-22-2006, 01:20 AM
Also, did your parts car have ABS?

MontrealSoft
02-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Hi,
I just got myself an Eclipse Tsi Spyder and an AWD Talon Tsi of the same year. So I have most of the parts I will need, yet the spyder is A/T and the donnor car is M/T, so at the end of the project, the transmission will be replaced by an AWD A/T tranny, most probably JDM.

My question is : I just found out the donnor car doesn't have ABS :banghead:
What parts are missing to get an ABS car at the end of the project ? (so, A/T Tsi AWD Spyder)

Also, since I'm never doing things in the usual order (known problem with me), I don't have a garage, but I will soon begin the construction of a new house w/ 20*25 garage, so the AWD conversion will probably wait till I'm moved in.

Thank's for the one who created the conversion walkthrough !

gthompson97
02-06-2006, 08:07 AM
i hope you last few guys realize this thread has been up for over a whole year. you might want to personally pm them for more direct info.

montrealsoft...it's pretty tough to convert a car over to abs if it didn't come with it...alot of electrical stuff needs to be switched/installed. it'd be easier just to not have or it or just get a different car.

MontrealSoft
02-06-2006, 08:13 AM
i hope you last few guys realize this thread has been up for over a whole year. you might want to personally pm them for more direct info.

Was just giving it a try

montrealsoft...it's pretty tough to convert a car over to abs if it didn't come with it...alot of electrical stuff needs to be switched/installed. it'd be easier just to not have or it or just get a different car.

Well, as I said, the spyder already HAVE the ABS. Only the donnor car doesn`t have them. So the rear end I will fit on the FWD car won`t have ABS and I wonder what is different between an abs rear-end and an non-abs rear-end, and if those parts are compatible between FWD-AWD.

Luc

gthompson97
02-06-2006, 10:36 AM
the setup should be the exact same...you might have to do a brake swap or something like that to get the abs to fit (ie. put your spyder brakes on the donor hubs, etc) and stuff like that but all the axles and control arms are all the same. i believe the abs is just some wires and sensors to run to the back wheels.

monicle
02-19-2007, 01:32 PM
what options are there besides going awd? say for instance a fella has a 2g gs and a evo 8 motor (on friday). is there a fwd tranny that will bolt to it?

SpyderGuy97
03-02-2007, 11:24 AM
what options are there besides going awd? say for instance a fella has a 2g gs and a evo 8 motor (on friday). is there a fwd tranny that will bolt to it?

Sell the engine, sell the car, buy a GSX.

silvercoupe97
05-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Great write-up Jacob. It definitely came in handy last year.

Ooops, make that 2 years ago, lol.

dsmtuner1987
08-14-2007, 08:42 PM
the awd conversion in no way is an easy task, but as i have known, it is not impossible, but siding with the other side, its better to just buy a gsx/tsi awd in the first place.

because, there are a lot of differences in just the rear end that you dont wanna be off at all. all factory awd cars should be perfectly aligned from front to back (and im not just talking about the wheels, im talking about the entire underbody/frame/suspension components) and its not that good of a ride if its not (not to mention unsafe).

and yes, you can find some good deals if you look hard enough, i found my first tsi awd (unfortunately automatic) for 600$, and thats not a lie

Add your comment to this topic!