Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transmission Problem

Markasaur
01-15-2005, 02:47 PM
I have a 1995 Mystique, 6-cylinder.

Ever since after going up a steep driveway ramp and hitting bottom, the car has a problem of downshifting when it normally shouldnít. So the RPM goes to about 3k and then has trouble switching back to the correct gear. It does this only after about 8-12 minutes, before that it drives normal.

I went to the dealer and they say Iíve got worn motor-mounts ($850), which I donít believe.

Any idea what this problem might be??

clydes270
01-18-2005, 03:08 PM
Motor mounts usually give a harsh shift condition, such as from a stop to start. Or, even putting the car into gear. Eventually, they will give an obvious cluck of metal on metal.

To inspect them quickly, have an assitant start the car and shift into Reverse. Wait, then shift into Neutral. Wait, then shift into Drive. Do this several times. See if the engine rotates more than normal as the transmission gears are engaged. If possible, compare this to the same vehicle type or another FWD vehicle.

If you want to examine the mounts more closely. You'll have to look for torn rubber or use a crowbar to slightly lift on the motor mount to see the tear or separation of rubber.

Add your comment to this topic!