Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

engine will not crank over

dukester56
01-05-2005, 10:17 PM
i have recently purchased a 1995 camaro w/a 3.4L and automatic trans. i bought the car from a salvage yard. the car had been vandalized. the present condition of the car is that someone had taken the steering wheel off and removed the ignition key mechanism from the column. i can, of course,turn the ignition "on" using a pair of needle nose pliers. when i do this, the dash lights come on. when i move the mechanism to the "start" position, nothing happens and nothing is heard. i don't even hear a click from a starter solenoid or relay(i am assuming it has one or the other or both). the way it acts is if you try to start a car w/automatic with it in drive or reverse. the fuses appear to be good and the battery is up.

since the key is "chipped"(i don't know if that is the correct term or not) and the mechanism has been removed from the column, is this preventing the starter from turning over? i actually suspect that the problem already existed and that is why someone had taken the steering column apart but i just don't know the history.

i am open to suggestions.

many thanks

Genopsyde
01-05-2005, 10:21 PM
yea, sounds like the vats system is keeping it from starting.

greyrealsteam
01-06-2005, 12:08 AM
this sounds kinda stupid. and something minor, but.. since its an auto, did u try pressing on the brake? then trying to start it!?! if u didnt do that already,

89IROC&RS
01-06-2005, 12:30 PM
no its the passkey system. you have to have one installed. and a new vats module as well i believe. that would be the easiest way to do it. or you could buy a new ignition lock cylender, and try every key code untill you got the right one. the car wont start without a signal verifying that the key in the ignition is of the right resistance.

greyrealsteam
01-06-2005, 01:53 PM
where would you get one of those keys? i need one for my camaro, and if i lost it, id never be able to drive my car ever.

89IROC&RS
01-06-2005, 06:39 PM
dealership

KPot2004
01-06-2005, 06:42 PM
make sure you have proof of ownership with the vin# on it

dukester56
01-06-2005, 09:38 PM
yep, i figured there was some smart folks out there. thanks to everyone for their response. now i have a starting point.

Add your comment to this topic!