Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2400w x 2 @1ohm???

Pages : [1] 2

Dreamspawn
12-30-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm looking for a amp to push my 2 SPL W12s there rms is 2400wx2@ 1ohm. the only thing i can find is a audiobahn amp is it worth 360$??
If nebody knows of other amps that can do this drop a link here.

sr20de4evr
12-30-2004, 02:16 PM
damnit, I had a whole response typed up and then it didn't post and I lost it....in summary, those subs can't handle anywhere remotely close to 2200rms, don't dare go more than 1000rms each or there's an extremely good chance you'll melt down both of them. Also, those subs are dual 1ohm, which means a 2ch 1ohm stereo stable amp won't work, you'll need a 1ohm stable mono amp.

Something like a hifonics brutus 1800d would work, but be vary careful with the gains, who knows when those things will go up in smoke. And in the future, be very wary of any sub that claims a power handling greater than 6-700rms and is less than $200, and be even more wary if the only "specs" that the manufacturer lists are retarded cosmetic shit instead of the T/S parameters.

Dreamspawn
12-30-2004, 03:38 PM
They had a lifetime warrenty on them pretty sure. So if i smoke them get a new set. thinking bout getting rid of them for some mtx punch.

RickwithaTbird
12-30-2004, 06:52 PM
Also, those subs are dual 1ohm, which means a 2ch 1ohm stereo stable amp won't work, you'll need a 1ohm stable mono amp.

why is that?

sr20de4evr
12-30-2004, 07:07 PM
They had a lifetime warrenty on them pretty sure. So if i smoke them get a new set.

that warranty doesn't include abuse, and overpowering is abuse

sr20de4evr
12-30-2004, 07:09 PM
why is that?

each sub has 2 1ohm coils, which means each sub can be wired to .5ohm or 2ohm. Then you can take the two subs, and wire them together into a SINGLE 1ohm load or 4ohm load (depending on how you wired it). If each sub was say 1000rms, in order to power them properly you would need an amp that did 1000x2 @ .5ohm or 2ohm, or an amp that did 2000x1 @ 1ohm or 4ohm.

Dreamspawn
01-07-2005, 01:55 PM
I know its been awhile since i ever made a reply to this but been kinda busy. I wired them like the mnual side one side get the straight postive the other gets the stright negtive the criss cross. So what amp would i need? Or u think i should just try to sell them and go with somthing else? I know i want 2 12s that will thump the shit out of the maro.

schemo
01-10-2005, 11:28 AM
you can wire each sub in series to bring up the ohms to 2ohms, then wire the two subs together in parrallel to bring the two subs back down to 1ohm. if all you are planning to do is run those two subs i would get a mono punch amp from rockford fosgate they are iohm stable, and that will be more than enough. you never want to run your subs so high when down to 1ohm, you can burn out your voice coil in a snap!!!!

schemo
01-10-2005, 11:30 AM
oh and another thing read the specs on that audiobahn amp carefully they tend to overate the power rating to fool people that don't know any better

sr20de4evr
01-10-2005, 12:22 PM
you never want to run your subs so high when down to 1ohm, you can burn out your voice coil in a snap!!!!

?
it wouldn't burn out any faster than at say 4ohm if it was the same power

Dreamspawn
01-10-2005, 01:23 PM
So i need a 1ohm mono amp. Kk let the search begin.

schemo
01-10-2005, 01:24 PM
any amp working at 1ohm is working for times as harder than it would be at 4ohms. touch an amp working at 1000watts compared to an amp at 4ohms pushing the same power. which one feels hotter? 1ohm draws and comsumes alot more power than 4ohms.

and more power always equals to more heat and distortion (at higher levels).

all that would be needed is one low wave hard wave and you can easily burn out a voice coil, like you said speakers in your previous post the subs are warrantied, but not against abusive actions.

just my input from experience, by all means i am no engineer.

schemo
01-10-2005, 01:27 PM
you won't find to many 1ohm amps out there that are really good, in my opinion.

Dreamspawn
01-10-2005, 01:42 PM
What would u suggest?

Mannyb18b
01-10-2005, 02:27 PM
what are you talking about? Dreamspawn dont listen. There are a ton of 1ohm stable amps out there. what is your budget on an amp?

p.s. dont listen to a newb that questions/argues with sr20

bumpinstang77
01-10-2005, 02:40 PM
Schemo your wrong. 1 ohm stable amps are usually class D which mean they have a different way of making the power and a lot of class d's running at 1 ohm are working under less stress then a class a/b amp bridged at 4 ohms. And class D amps usually run very cool at 1 ohm most class a/b amps running at minimum impedance get VERY hot. Blowing your speakers has nothing to do with what impedance theyre running at. 1000 watts at 4 ohms and 1000 watts at 1 ohm is the same thing. So go esearch before you post and give the wrong info to people.

sr20de4evr
01-10-2005, 06:34 PM
any amp working at 1ohm is working for times as harder than it would be at 4ohms. touch an amp working at 1000watts compared to an amp at 4ohms pushing the same power. which one feels hotter? 1ohm draws and comsumes alot more power than 4ohms.

and more power always equals to more heat and distortion (at higher levels).

all that would be needed is one low wave hard wave and you can easily burn out a voice coil, like you said speakers in your previous post the subs are warrantied, but not against abusive actions.

just my input from experience, by all means i am no engineer.

yes an amp that is running at 1ohm is working 4 times as hard as when it's running at 4ohm, but a 1ohm stable amp running at 1ohm is working just as hard as a 4ohm stable amp (such as a bridged 2ch) running at 4ohm. In either case you're running the amp at its minimum impedance, and assuming similar design and build quality, you can expect the same amount of distortion and reliability from either. And as bumpin pointed out, due to the lower efficiency of the class ab 2ch (assuming it is a class ab and the 1ohm amp is a class d, which is normally the case), it will actually run hotter and suck more power from the electrical system than the 1ohm amp.

As for the subs, speakers can only blow 2 ways, thermally and mechanically, both of which are directly related to the current running through the coil. More current means more motor force which means the cone moves farther, and more current means more heat buildup in the coil. You have to treat the 2 coils independently, since they are in fact, independent coils doing their own thing. If you have a dual 2ohm sub wired in series to 4ohm that's receiving 1000 watts, you will have 15.8 amps (P=I^2*R) running out of the amp, through the first coil, and then through the second coil, and then back to the amp, so each coil will have 15.8 amps running through it. If you have the same sub wired in parallel to 1ohm and is receiving 1000 watts from some different amp, you will have 31.6 amps running out of the amp, which is then split, half of which (15.8 amps) goes through each coil, so you still have 15.8 amps running through each coil. The sub will behave the exact same way in both wiring schemes, both thermally and mechanically, the only difference is how the amp is affected. And as was said above, if you have an amp running at its minimum impedance it will have similar distortion and heat buildup as any other amp of similar build quality and typology running at its minimum impedance, regardless of what that impedance actually is.

And there are a ton of VERY high end amps that are 1ohm stable: helix, brax, dls, genesis, us amps, zapco, arc, linear power....should I go on?

bumpinstang77
01-10-2005, 07:13 PM
OOOOK mr technical but yea what he said NOOB

Dreamspawn
01-10-2005, 08:00 PM
This is getting interesting ne way my budget is around 350$tops so let the suggestions begin. Once again the speakers say 1100rms a piece at 1ohm. So let the amp suggestions begin.

sr20de4evr
01-10-2005, 08:26 PM
hifonics brutus 1500d or 1800d

bumpinstang77
01-10-2005, 08:55 PM
ED nine.1

Mannyb18b
01-11-2005, 12:03 AM
I second the nine.1

Dreamspawn
01-11-2005, 12:11 AM
ne body have a link for it i looked on google for ED nine .1 but i can't find ne place selling them.

Picquerist
01-11-2005, 01:02 AM
power acoustik a3000d

Dreamspawn
01-11-2005, 01:42 AM
holy Sh*t thats alot of watts

bumpinstang77
01-11-2005, 02:58 AM
www.edesignaudio.com It will definately put out more then a bx1500d and prolly pretty close to a bx1800d

schemo
01-11-2005, 03:20 AM
mannyb18b, first off according to your age that's listed on your profile, i have 10 years of worth of life and experience than you. so please don't be so prompt to say don't listen to a newbie. just because i have less posts than you and signed up after Jun 2004 doesn't mean i don't know what i'm talking about. i was messing with this stuff while you were still in diapers, and as i stated in my post i was speaking by experience. also i wasn't arguing with sr20. he asked a Q and i responding with an anwser. i personally thinks he knows quite a bit. we were both helping Dreamspawn come to a decision. (maybe i delt with ancient technology)

if you can why don't you list some decent 1ohm amps here for him? and when i mean decent i mean that pushes out a constant amount of power, not something that jumps like a frog? i'm sure that will help him out quite a bit. as for me i would go with a punch from rockford fosgate. although those amps are in the higher cost bracket. like i said in my post.....you won't find to many 1ohm amps out there that are really good, in my opinion (i see that sr20 list a couple)

Dreamspawn, take your advice how you want it and go from there. if you need further assistance just pm me. i'll help you out to the best that i can.

Schemo

Dreamspawn
01-11-2005, 01:45 PM
what bout the power acoustik a2400 the ed nine is nice but only puts out 1200 watts and i want to atleast put a 1000 to each. The most powerful punch i could find was 800w. Nemore suggestions? U think if emailed SPL maybe they could throw some suggestion? I know its highly unlikley but worth a try?

Dreamspawn
01-11-2005, 01:52 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796&item=5722520478&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18796&item=5726470702&rd=1

Hifonics Colossus XI ???

Mannyb18b
01-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Ok, im not even gunna start.
To DreamSpawn- The eD nine.1 is more like 1400 watts, real true power. The nine.1 is a pure quality amp and is UNDER RATED, unlike Rockford Fosbreaks that are overrated. Some rockford fosgate amps are pretty good ill admit that, but thats about all that can be said about them. Nine.1 rapes the Rockfords, period. And Schemo, what system do u have in your car???

bumpinstang77
01-11-2005, 08:06 PM
the nine.1 runs 1500 in a decent electrical system and dude lookin for the amps I'm tellin u don't put gobs of power to them esp. an amp that's overrated and will distort easily the nine.1 and bx1800d are very nice power wise..... If you did your electrical system right that nine.1 would put out every bit of 1600 watts plus.

Dreamspawn
01-11-2005, 09:14 PM
i have a stock battary/altenator with a 2400watt amp kit put in.

Dreamspawn
01-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Power acoustik 3000watt 339.99
http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/catalog%20page.asp?Product+%23=A3000DB

the power acoustik for less but has differnet specs?
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=149107&_LOC=US

Boss Ripper 3000watt 229.99
http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/catalog%20page.asp?Product+%23=RIPD3

sr20de4evr
01-12-2005, 12:05 AM
power acoustik = no
boss = hell no

please listen to us

bumpinstang77
01-12-2005, 12:24 AM
yea wut he said

Dreamspawn
01-12-2005, 12:37 AM
kk going with ed nine

bumpinstang77
01-12-2005, 02:05 AM
GOOOOOOD CHOICE now make sure when ou set it up set the gains PROPERLY those subs will prolly croke getting over 700 watts if distorted.

schemo
01-12-2005, 03:18 AM
Mannyb18b,
i really didn't want to start anything, but i have been playing with this stuff since you were about 5 years old, but enough of that. i just bought a new deck pioneer dvh-5000mp i believe is the model number, plays dvd video, 15 band eq, 6 1/2 components on the front doors, 4-way 6 by 9's on the rear deck, 4 10'" pioneer subs in the back, two pioneer amps 2 channel and a 4 channel. nothing impressive just good enough for me. where i'm at i can't play the system loud cause it WILL get stolen in a heartbeat. i got all pioneer in my car. but now i'm planning on trying other brands.

what do you have in you car???

i will admit times has changed from when i started to today, more than half of whats on the market didn't exist back then.

i want to sell my 4 10's and get 4 12's and want to run them at 1 ohm, but not sure what amp to get? i want at least 500 watts minimum to each sub, also i would like a mono. anyone have any input??? since the old man is out of date with the times?????

bumpinstang77
01-12-2005, 05:05 AM
yea pioneer should stick to HU's and cheap factory replacement speakers i'm not a big fan of their stuff. And for schemo check out this stuff www.adireaudio.com
www.ddaudio.com
www.reaudio.com
www.incriminatoraudio.com (was down last time I checked cuz nick put up a shit load of CES pics)
www.stereointegrity.com
www.trutechnology.com
www.jlaudio.com
www.arcaudio.com
www.avionixx.com
www.edesignaudio.com
www.mmatsproaudio.com
www.cadencesound.com
www.phoenixgold.com
www.treoonline.com
www.ascendantaudio.com
www.soundsplinter.com
www.CDTaudio.com
www.dls.com
www.zapco.com
www.audiotec-fischer.com
www.alpine.com
www.eclipse-web.com
www.maxxsonics.com
www.soundstream.com
www.maaudio.com (good amps for competition) www.mtxaudio.com (good amps subs suck)
www.kicker.com
www.audison-america.com
http://car.rainbow-audio.de/home/home.php?lan=3
www.usamps.com
www.koveaudio.com
www.powerbassusa.com
That's enough for now

schemo
01-12-2005, 06:17 AM
i used to live right down the street from where JL audio built their all there stuff in hollywood fl. after seeing how they built their stuff i was never a fan of them again. they had a bunch of mexicans working on the assembly line, truely sad.

Mannyb18b
01-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Mannyb18b,
i really didn't want to start anything, but i have been playing with this stuff since you were about 5 years old

Alright, i thought this was over. Why dont you just leave this forumn, there are already forum regulars that think your an idiot, an thats pretty bad for bein a noob. So far you havnt helped anyone out, when i corrected you, you started this. You may have been "messing" with this stuff when i was 5 years old, but on any given day I could put together and install a system a whole lot (<being generous) better than what you could put together

schemo
01-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Mannyb18b,
we'll leave it at this, you have your opinions and have mine. you think you're better than me, you can think that. forum reg's think i'm an idiot, i can fucking careless? i've done more shit in my lifetime than most of YOU forum reg's can even think of. do you even have a system? or you one of those that just read specs and hide behind your identity to claim you know what you are talking about?

does you mother know you're on here thinking you're a professional in audio field?

if i was you i'd focus on graduating if you havn't yet already,
a boy like yourself that hasn't even started life out yet has a big mouth to talk shit with nothing to back it up with.

you still never did anwser my question on what you have in your car if you even have one or maybe your mothers' car that you claim as your own?
when you grow up you'll learn to stop sucking other peoples dicks, and let them suck yours, you fucking fag!!

bumpinstang77,
thanks for the links!

sr20de4evr
01-12-2005, 03:00 PM
www.dls.com

that's www.dls.se btw

it's the only one that jumped out at me

Mannyb18b
01-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Mannyb18b,
we'll leave it at this, you have your opinions and have mine. you think you're better than me, you can think that. forum reg's think i'm an idiot, i can fucking careless? i've done more shit in my lifetime than most of YOU forum reg's can even think of. do you even have a system? or you one of those that just read specs and hide behind your identity to claim you know what you are talking about?

does you mother know you're on here thinking you're a professional in audio field?

if i was you i'd focus on graduating if you havn't yet already,
a boy like yourself that hasn't even started life out yet has a big mouth to talk shit with nothing to back it up with.

you still never did anwser my question on what you have in your car if you even have one or maybe your mothers' car that you claim as your own?
when you grow up you'll learn to stop sucking other peoples dicks, and let them suck yours, you fucking fag!!

bumpinstang77,
thanks for the links!

Hmmm. Frontstage= 6.5 eD/CDT Components w/ nine.2, Clarion deck. Substage= currently 2 Audiobahn 12's w/ 2 PA 980/2's. On its way-RE SX 15 nine.1, so suck that fagget.
Oh and graduating...well, im currently a junior at Sac High, an am debating on accepting a 2 year scholar-ship to Fresno State for SS, or continue on what I am doin now.

Pretty easy to talk shit over the internet, think you would say the same thing to the face of a 6'2" 210lbs S Safety. Please tell me you live somewhere near Sacramento

schemo
01-12-2005, 03:56 PM
6' 1'" 220lbs, former Army ranger, sapper, and pathfinder. like i said little boy i've been there and done that, you ain't got shit on KING KONG! prepare you ass cause if you go to Fresno they're just going to fuck you like the little bitch that you are. you REALLY have a big mouth, i'd love to stuff it for you!
and sorry i would love to make a house call for you and YOUR mother, but i live around the world.

keep your mind in school and not out on the corner selling your little ass for fast cash to buy your system.

se voi tu puoi vieni qua, per fare qualcosa pezzo di merda! dirli tuo mama che mi piace la figa di lei, stronzzo

Mannyb18b
01-12-2005, 04:08 PM
I could care less if you were Tyson, guaranteed i'll go 1 on 1 with you n fuck you up. Ranger? wanna bring guns into it? you got the balls to pull a trigger on the street?..no. me, unfortuantly yes(would ulike me to send u the legal doc.). another guaranteed i'd split your wig. Aight got shit on King Kong? thats the dumbest thing ive heard on this forum. live around the world huh, please, anytime your near stop by. 1200's Grand ave. Sacramento 95818.

schemo
01-12-2005, 04:22 PM
who said anything about guns??? i didn't, but have you ever been in combat is another question? and could you sleep good at night knowing what you did to the enemy!! i've done shit that you and your father if you have one, has dreamed about. so please don't talk shit mr big 17 year old. finish high school first then talk shit on a forum

you've got to be the biggest bullshitter i've seen in a while, you got busted for popping your bb-gun on the street and now you're a hero and a college wants to give you a scholarship??? what the fuck world you living in??? la la land??? i'm a trained professional, the only thing you're trained in is wiping your ass after you get fucked!!!

keep passing out the water, waterboy maybe you can move up to passing out towels

and sorry for the military slang, i should have known you wouldn't understand

Mannyb18b
01-12-2005, 04:31 PM
How about i send you photocopies of the letters, and legal docs. Waterboy? why dont u use your "google" an look up the leader in solo tackles for 2003 in the Valley. Tell me what name u come up with, im sure it will look familiar. Ahh, an your saying you have to finish high school to talk shit on a forum...hmm, old fag who thought he was something in the Army, wich in reality you probably carried around the ammo for the real soldiers. I know real soldiers, and they dont spend there time on the internet, specially on forums. What are you? a med? do u put oil in the tanks? somethings not right with what your saying

sr20de4evr
01-12-2005, 04:33 PM
dumbest e-battle EVAR!!!!

schemo
01-12-2005, 04:35 PM
was a combat engineer 12b and then reclassed to infantry 11b.

manny18b how long do you want to continue this nonsense?

Mannyb18b
01-12-2005, 04:37 PM

very true!

Mannyb18b
01-12-2005, 04:39 PM
was a combat engineer 12b and then reclassed to infantry 11b.

manny18b how long do you want to continue this nonsense?

ey im just standing my ground backin up everything I say

schemo
01-12-2005, 04:56 PM
posted by sr20de4evr

that has to be the funniest shit i heard this week!!!! yeah you're right graduate with honors!!!

Mannyb18b,
wanna call it quits? we both wasted 30 mins of of lives on an e-battle?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! with no wins on either end, (good laughs though) as for myself i had enough, keep up the tackles!!! graduate with honors if you are as good as you say you are i'll catch you on monday night football!!!

untill next time fellow audio lovers!!!!!!!

Mannyb18b
01-12-2005, 05:00 PM
ya, you fuckin tired me out man. eh, it was kinda fun while it lasted. Good shit though. N the future i'd like to help u out on your system, that is if you trust my opinion....hopefully

schemo
01-12-2005, 05:26 PM
honestly, i plan on buying a 1ohm (stable) amp in the near future. and i will take anyones advice when the time comes.

manny18b,
no hard feelings

bumpinstang77
01-12-2005, 09:23 PM
woah dude don't bash JL they have a very good porduct..... assembly lines w/ mexicans is hand built shit mexicans work there arses off. yea that forums battle was too funny. It was like freggin bryan lynch vs rambo good shit there.

Dreamspawn
01-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Sombody tell me how a car capacitor works? From what i understand it unsures your amp gets enought juice from the battary correct? Do i need one to make sure the ed nine1 gets enought or will my 1800watt amp kit be enough. I did notice with my old amp that the system hit harder when the car was off.

sr20de4evr
01-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Sombody tell me how a car capacitor works? From what i understand it unsures your amp gets enought juice from the battary correct? Do i need one to make sure the ed nine1 gets enought or will my 1800watt amp kit be enough. I did notice with my old amp that the system hit harder when the car was off.

A capacitor stores energy and basically just keeps the voltage across its terminals from changing instantly, that's it. After a second into a bass hit it will be discharged enough where it will be doing no good and will just be another strain on the system. Don't waste your money, upgrade the battery and magic 3 instead.

Dreamspawn
01-14-2005, 04:16 PM
magic three? forgive me i've done systems b4 but the is the first big one that i've really gotten into all my other systmes were like 400watt tops.

sr20de4evr
01-14-2005, 04:18 PM
wiring under the hood

batt - to ground
batt + to alt
engine block to ground

add your own 4awg or larger wire in parallel with the stock wiring in those locations

Add your comment to this topic!