Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Size pref.

x~Underoath~x
12-24-2004, 02:26 AM
My and my uncle are building a system(shh). Which would be better for hardcore/metal stuff? 10" or 12" sub? I was thinking 10s because of the tightness being able to handle the wicked fast double bass better. But any suggestions?

BTW I want tight punchy bass, not LOW bass.

imtheoneandonlyD
12-24-2004, 02:29 AM
10 are prolly a good way to go then. the bigger you go the better the low bass gets

x~Underoath~x
12-24-2004, 02:56 AM
Good thing...thanks man. Now I just have to wait till next week to peice it all together. Any suggestions on what brand? Im getting a RF amp. I dont want anything competition grade...just good sounding.

I think RF has a deal w/ buying an amp and getting 2 free speakers(BestBuy). Would they suffice? I think they are the Punch series.

george536
12-24-2004, 03:00 AM
Im thinking audiobahn always had a good reputation. 2 10s bandpassed would sound great. i see some online for pretty cheap brand new on ebay.

x~Underoath~x
12-24-2004, 03:09 AM
I always thought Audiobahn(sp) were like superior to all in quality...and price. And we really dont want to buy off ebay...just a thing. So I dont know how far that gets me. And I may have to pitch in some myself to get really good stuff. (Its an xmas present).

x~Underoath~x
12-24-2004, 02:57 PM
While im on the subject...Talons and Eclipses have the same trunk shape and space, right? Becuase im getting whatever i find first. And i have my GS...so i can take measurements from it and it would work for everything else, correct?

EDIT: Were custom making the box...thats what the measurements are for.

TreeFrog
12-24-2004, 04:06 PM
i run a single 12", it works good for me cause its a really small car so 2 subs take up too much room. what 2 subs can do 1 sub with a higher wattage can do. so i bought a 12" diamond audio tdx 4 (1600watts RMS). this way its in a smaller box and takes up less room in the trunk.

i went 12" cause i listen to a vareity of music. a 10" won't be able to hit the really low base. so you want some bump get a 12"

george536
12-24-2004, 04:34 PM
i run a single 12", it works good for me cause its a really small car so 2 subs take up too much room. what 2 subs can do 1 sub with a higher wattage can do. so i bought a 12" diamond audio tdx 4 (1600watts RMS). this way its in a smaller box and takes up less room in the trunk.

i went 12" cause i listen to a vareity of music. a 10" won't be able to hit the really low base. so you want some bump get a 12"
Do you have it bandpassed? or is it open box?

TreeFrog
12-24-2004, 06:06 PM
its in a Lambrinth box. think bose wave radio. it reverses the signal of when the woofer goes in. making it louder an all frequenceys instead of just 1 like a port

x~Underoath~x
12-24-2004, 09:15 PM
So what about a 10" or 12" square Kicker? I think they are L7s? How many watts can you push through those?

EDIT: Okay...L7s are really pricey...so how about the L5s? Would the 12s hit as hard and still be tight as a 10? I could prob. power it with a monster amp if it could take it.

TreeFrog
12-25-2004, 07:51 PM
squar subs will never sound as good as a circle one would.

bighauns
12-26-2004, 10:31 PM
Well, first off... if you want great SQ dont go with audiobahn, they are all SPL. as well, bandpass does not sound good at all, it is a waste of money, time and space.

If you want good quailty for a decent price, i would check out eclipse or xtant.

If you want tight clean bass, grab two 10's and put them in a SEALED box, not ported or bandpass. That is where the great quality it.

Make sure that you do not build some piece of crap thing either, make sure it is the right size, the right specs and sealed properly. The right box makes ALL the difference. A box can make a shitty sub sound AWESOME and a amazing sub sound like crap.

So, that is my opinion. Bandpass is the worst thing you can do and audiobahn is not good for SQ, but it is cheap, i will give you that much. Although I am pretty sure you can get xtants pretty cheap on ebay right now as well.

As for kicker, dont touch it if you want SQ either. Dont hit rockford either, if you want a cross between the two go with Alpine or JL Audio.

Hope it helps...

PS>If you want some help or explainations or anything toss me an e-mail bighauns@hotmail.com

x~Underoath~x
12-31-2004, 12:06 AM
Okay...here it is. 2 12" Kicker Comps, 600watt RMS Kicker amp, and jl audio wires. We spared none, and the speakers are the only thing not in posession, they should be in in about 2 weeks. So ill post pics of the custom box and the whole setup. And If you see this, I would personally like to thank you with everything I have. Thank you Scott. My uncles cooler than your uncle. haha

Add your comment to this topic!