Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need a new door.

Xbox2202
12-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Well, I've said before that my car is down with the head gasket problem. So, I'm still trying to fix the rest of it while me and my dad work on the motor. The car has been torn to hell and back by the first owner, apparently he was a drunk with all he did to the car. The driver side door has been rammed apparently, because the door skin is loose, along with the rest of the non-structual parts, like the inside skin. When you shut the door, you can hear the fiberglass that someone used to try to patch it. Today, I was looking for salvage yards in WV, because I can't find any locally, and I find a place about two hours away. They suprisingly have three Camaros, a 94 Z28 that's black, a 95 base model that's purple, like mine, and a 96, but I don't remember what color that one is. So, the yard has some more cars and parts not listed on their site, but the 95 model is the same color as mine, but it has electric locks and windows. I need to replace the lock on the hatch, because it's jammed, and anyone can open it with any key, so I'm considering switching over to electic doors, and just buy the other door to. How much trouble would it be to switch from the manual to the electric doors?

Note, I have some extra money right now because of Christmas, I usually wouldn't be able to afford two doors for my car, so it's kinda now or wait unitl later.

92rs25th
12-23-2004, 11:39 AM
Hit up your local junk yards. you'll save money even if it's 100 bucks a door , you'll save that in shipping alone.

Xbox2202
12-23-2004, 11:42 AM
How much trouble would it be to change it over from manual to electric?

92rs25th
12-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Well if there was a electric in 94' then the fuse block and the wire harness is the same , it's just lacking inside the door. Grab an electric door and all the hookups should already be there. PLug it in and you should be good to go. It's liek the difference wbetween a 1992 auto and a 1992 manual speedometer. It's a light bulb , pull it out make it auto , put it in , get the stupid manual "shift" light.

Xbox2202
12-23-2004, 12:09 PM
Ok, so would it be that easy to change it over if it's pretty close to my year, like a 95 or 96?

Morley
12-23-2004, 12:36 PM
To convert it you'll want to grab the wirng harness' for the doors and the switches. Running the wires will make you insane before you're done BUT it will be much nicer to have them. Also, if the door you are getting has electric mirrors, get them too, a nice little extra to have at night.

Xbox2202
12-23-2004, 01:16 PM
I would be buying the doors as one piece. Would I need to buy something that isn't inside the doors?

If they have electric mirrors I'll probably get them too.

Xbox2202
12-23-2004, 10:05 PM
Ok, so I was looking at the electrical diagrams in my Haynes manual, and the diagram for the 93-95 seems a lot less complicated than the one for the 96 and up.

I'm pretty confident that me and my dad can do this, because he has some experience on working with cars. He's a carpenter, so he has at least some experience with wiring. He can do all the wiring to a house with no problem, but this is different, so I'm not too sure on how well he could do it.

So, what else would I need to buy other than the door, which would include everything that's actually on the door if it was in a car.

Sorry that I'm asking so many questions, but I'm just trying to get some experience with working on cars so that I can work on my car myself when I want to fix it, or do something to improve it.

scott07422
01-06-2005, 07:44 PM
Well if there was a electric in 94' then the fuse block and the wire harness is the same , it's just lacking inside the door. Grab an electric door and all the hookups should already be there. PLug it in and you should be good to go. It's liek the difference wbetween a 1992 auto and a 1992 manual speedometer. It's a light bulb , pull it out make it auto , put it in , get the stupid manual "shift" light.

i have a 91 and some one put a light bulb and now i get the stupid manual "shift" light is it hard to take the bulb out or just put black tape on it thanks scott

92rs25th
01-06-2005, 08:10 PM
you just twist the bulb out.
very simple.

kmdracer
01-06-2005, 09:35 PM
In answer to Xbox, it shouldn't be hard, provided that when you get the doors, DO NOT cut the wires anywhere! Take the time to unwire them all the way to the switches and fuse box. Good luck, and this is a great convenience mod!

Add your comment to this topic!