Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1988 Acura Legend (anti lock light)

fischerj
12-23-2004, 09:26 AM
What does it mean when the Anti-Lock Brake light comes on. It makes a sound like a pump or compressor tries to come on then when it fails, the light comes on. When the car is warm, it may not come on but at all.

Thank You for any help with this!

uglyasamuddfence
12-26-2004, 09:46 PM
You need to add some more information. Is the light coming on when you are actually engagging the ALb (such as on packed ice, and slamming the pedal down), or is the light always on? The ALB on these cars will show the ALB light when your brake fluid level is low, and the ALB system will shut down (most people do not activate thier ALB portion of the brake system more than 1 or 2 times a year) You will still have normal braking, but no pulsating peddle on ice or gravel. If the brake fluid IS low, don't just add fluid, your pad linings are likely low, and need to be replaced. This should restore the fluid level and turn your light off. If the light appears only when you try to activate the ALB system, and the car skids when you lock up the brake, then you have a computer or sensor issue on one of the wheels. Hope this kind of helps.

fischerj
12-28-2004, 07:54 PM
When the car first moves forward (in the morning mostly), it sounds like a pump (humming noise). When the humming quits, the light comes on. The humming lasts about 3 to 4 minutes.

If I remember right, my front breaks were replaced about 1 year ago. I'll have to check the brake fluid though.

Thank You so much for your input.

ba_rickjames
02-01-2005, 04:18 PM
what is the linings that you speak of is it in the abs resavoir or on the pads them self.

Corjus
12-17-2005, 09:09 AM
I have the same problem. Were you able to fix it?

Thanks

Add your comment to this topic!