Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Putty Differences

Spitfire7
12-19-2004, 11:25 AM
Hi guys, i'm just ordering the items i will need for my Sierra project. To fill in some of the vents on the bumper, i'll need some putty, although i've never used the stuff before. I'm ordering from Media Mix Hobby, and they have two types of putty available; Tamiya basic putty and Tamiya Epoxy putty.

Based on the picture i've included of what i have to do, can you tell me which of these two types of putty would be suitable for the job, thanks.

http://www2.comco.ne.jp/~garage/seisakuki/sieera-s-02.jpg

http://www2.comco.ne.jp/~garage/seisakuki/sieera-s-03.jpg

freakray
12-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Tamiya epoxy would be better if it's a large area.

mike@af
12-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Epoxy putties are for building, and puttying large areas. These putties do not shrink as much as air dry putties do.

Basic putty is used for filling small pin holes.

If you are going to be doing anything thicker than your thumbnail, use a catalyzed (chemically hardened) putty.

RallyRaider
12-19-2004, 02:36 PM
Epoxy putty would be good for that as would polyester putty. The former comes in two different coloured strips that you knead and mix together. Then you sculpt the shape like clay, normally takes overnight to harden. The polyester comes in two tubes, a large one of the basic putty and a smaller tube of hardener. This type is a bit more liquid and messier than the epoxy but usually dries a lot quicker, 15 minutes or so.

The basic putty mentioned is I believe an air-curing type and no good for filling large areas.

willimo
12-19-2004, 03:20 PM
The way I would do it (are ya'll ready for this big surprise?) would be to cut bits of styrene sheet or strip to fillt he large areas. You can sand these to the general shape, and cement in place. If you do it well, there should be only a very small gap, that you can fill with the tube type putty. That method is quick, and clean, and strong. But if you use entirely putty, an epoxy or other two-part would be best.

ImolaEK
12-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Epoxy putty would be good for that as would polyester putty. The former comes in two different coloured strips that you knead and mix together. Then you sculpt the shape like clay, normally takes overnight to harden. The polyester comes in two tubes, a large one of the basic putty and a smaller tube of hardener. This type is a bit more liquid and messier than the epoxy but usually dries a lot quicker, 15 minutes or so.

The basic putty mentioned is I believe an air-curing type and no good for filling large areas.

Is polyster putty like Bondo Body Filler? I have to try that stuff :iceslolan

hirofkd
12-20-2004, 01:55 AM
Bondo body filler is polyester putty. It's cheap and works great.

> Spitfire7
What you can do is put a tape on the front surface, and fill the areas with polyester putty from the inside. Once the putty is cured, remove the tape, and the putty should be flush with the bumper, saving you time to file and sand the putty. After finalize the shapes of the two openings using a needle file, apply Tamiya's basic putty very thinly or use Gunze Mr. Surfacer 1000 to blend the puttied surface and bare plastic. Then, smooth the areas with the sand paper.

When using different materials, make sure to prime and polish the modified areas, or the difference in texture will be noticeable after the body is painted.

Good luck.

Add your comment to this topic!