Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Welcome!

enzo@af
01-20-2001, 01:23 AM
HEY! This is a new forum, Panoz. I requested it to the AF God. I just felt that these cars are well deserving of praise, so if you wish to praise them, feel free.

Well, these are some specs on the AIV roadster.

AIV stands for Aluminum Intensive Vehicle. The extensive use of Aluminum (70%) considerably cut weight.

http://www.panozauto.com/images/1_204m.jpg

It's powered by a Cobra 4.6L V8. With 4 Overhead Cams and 32 valves it puts out 305 hp and gets the car to 60 in 4.4 seconds!

http://www.panozauto.com/images99/car_collector2.jpg

http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~na/pics/cars/usa/panozroadster.jpg

carman
01-20-2001, 09:57 AM
sweet car.:)
Why don't I see it on the streets???
How much does it cost?

Also, who's AF God you're talking about??

enzo@af
01-20-2001, 09:22 PM
Well, the car costs about 55K, but they're handbuilt. It takes about 350 man hours per car! So, they're not a mass-produced car. In fact, they've only been around for a few years.

And the "AF god" is igor@af.

Chris
04-04-2001, 08:47 AM
I also like the AIV roadster.
And now it has a 320 hp cobra engine. :silly:
I think it is pretty sweet, and I would like one.
It is a very speciallized vehicle, though, it is not he most refined, for the price you could get a convertible vette with some aftermarket goodies that would blow it away, so you really have to be a driving enthusiast (or mega-rich) to have one.
Makes for an excelletn toy:smoka:

enzo@af
04-04-2001, 10:10 AM
Personally, I would buy one before a vette, and that's no diss on the vette. I love corvettes, it's just that I'd be one of a million vette owners, but only one of a select few AIV owners. Plus, the driving experience in one of these can only be imagined...open top, great handling. Fun.

Chris
04-05-2001, 08:53 AM
True...........
But personally, I would take the vette for a daily driver, which it can now do quite well.
The Panoz could do it, bu teventually it might get old.
Still, I think I'm crazy enough to get the Panoz, it is just so cool:devil:

enzo@af
04-22-2001, 04:19 PM
Yes, this isn't a daily driver at all. The 'vette is a much better daily driver (as it is to most sports cars), but it's impracticality makes it even the more cool.

For a "weekend-fun-car", this is the better choice, IMO.

vectorclub
10-31-2001, 11:38 PM
Just beware that this roadster has had issues with water leaking in with the ragtop in place. This car is very unique. It is close to being a true sports car. The orginal meaning of sports car was a car without side windows, little or no luxury features, and small in size. The Panoz is a good modern version of the traditional sports car. The Vette is a great modern style sports car. That new ZO6 is wicked.

Chris
11-01-2001, 12:28 PM
My friends think I'm nuts for not wanting a wicked system in my car. I'm talking about removing carpets, the backseat, etc
(some of the windows in plexiglass, even), to make it faster and more visceral. This is why the Panoz appeals to me.

vectorclub
11-01-2001, 12:59 PM
It sounds like your're a genuine sports car fan and your friends are just average car guys. Only real sports car fans sacerfice things such as deluxe stereo systems, back seats, and so on. If you take the back seat out you can put in a nice roll cage which should stiffen the car up for better handling. This all takes time and money, but if you are as dedicated as you seem I am sure you can do it.

Chris
11-01-2001, 02:33 PM
It sounds like you a genuine sports car fan

Thank you:)
Plus, I could use the money saved from a system and put it into the roll cage. My uncle has the tools to do it, so I could make it myself and save money (I have a guide how to do it, so it wont snap and not do anything). I would also look into removing the air conditioning in the winter.

Gunman
11-01-2001, 08:20 PM
Chris, have you considered a Mosler? Warren's philosopy is function before form, as you can see by the Consulier and Raptor...but the MT900 has looks too. The MT900S streetcar should sport 400+ hp, and come in under 2000lbs (900kg is the goal), bare carbon interior, and minimal luxury items. The MT900 streecar prototype runs 0-60 in 3.5seconds with 345hp at a "bloated" 2650lbs, can you imagine what the "S" will do?

Chris
11-02-2001, 09:13 PM
If I know Warren, it will have 650+ hp, or perhaps 900+ in the form of a Lingenfelter TT or 427 or 427 TT. This will also cost 200000+. I have maybe 3 right now. So unless he is really nice, no:(
But I do love Moslers!!

Gunman
11-02-2001, 09:46 PM
The first MT900S is giong to have a 435ish hp LS6, sticker price starts at $149,000.

The 650hp twin turbo will run you about $250,000 :-)

Mousespudd
11-26-2001, 02:29 AM
I bought a 1998 Panoz AIV Roadster and absolutely love driving it. It's not the most practical car, but it's sure a rush to drive and it attracts an unbelievable amount of attention. The convertible top is useless cuz you can't get into or out of the car while the top is on. They have only made 235 of the cars (production stopped in 1999), so it's pretty unique.
I also have a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger which is another small car with a V-8 engine.

CreedC3
12-21-2001, 11:29 PM
I build cars For Panoz. The AIV is Sweet, the Esperante are a mean demon with the superchargers some customers are ordering as a package item. Next week I will be the proud new owner of the very red car you see posted with the black interior. Goodbye Z28, Hello AIV?? (Still deciding..it sure is nice to put those TTops back in when it rains and is cold. ) the AIV Roadster is blazing fast and a total kick in the crotch to drive. Cramped, Rude at 55mph and LOUD. Everything you want in a Harley with 4 wheels! **snicker**:flash: :p

hadaz
12-23-2001, 11:06 PM
I have to agree that when the top is on it is near impossible to get in and out of the vehicle. I also own a 98. The vehicle is a blast to drive. I live in an area that is common for Vettes, Porches, Ferrari's etc. I can pull along side one with my Panoz and I get the attention. All the other cars are more common. I considered the Z06 for 2002 and also the Lotus Elise with the Honda V-tec conversion. After doing a bunch of research I bought my Panoz and do not regret it at all. I also live in an area where I can driver pretty much year round and do not need the top so I am extremely lucky. Glad to see another Panoz owner on this forum. You up for any more competitive biddding on e-bay?

Mousespudd
12-24-2001, 11:41 AM
Hadaz,
It seems to me that we were bidding against each other on one of those Panoz showroom signs. I finally ended up with one, as the person who put the first one on Ebay had another, and I won the bidding on that one. $350. I had been lead to believe that there were 500-600 AIV Roadsters being built a year. As it turns out, only 235 total vehicles were produced. I bought 2 extra windshields. Maybe I should stockpile a fender or two also.
I'm envious that you get to drive yours so regularly. Up here in the Seattle area I just put the beast away for the winter. I don't drive it or my '65 Sunbeam Tiger at all in the winter rains... :stormzap:
Thanks for the reply.
Any other AIV owners out there??:wave:

hadaz
12-25-2001, 08:55 AM
I knew about the second sign. After the 1st auction the guy who had them e-mailed and told me about the other sign(s). I was lead to believe that he had 2 more from the way the e-mail was worded. Anyway I am glad to see you got one of them. I guess I still can wait, my time will come. Here are the actual production numbers by year:
1990 1
1991 0
1992 10
1993 23
1994 7
1995 6
1996 1
1997 56
1998 76
1999 55
I do not have the information on how many colors in each year. Also only five were built with JAMCO superhargers. Those five were part of the 10 built as anniversary models.
I wonder if they are still putting JAMCO's into the cars or did they switch to another brand. I was considering on putting one onto my car.

tommy saleen
12-27-2001, 09:32 PM
I have a showroom sign I'll sell ya.

hadaz
01-13-2002, 11:33 PM
So did you buy the AIV? Haven't seen any posts on it. Two AIV's up for auction in Arizona this month. One of them is from Park Place LTD (1999) the other is a 98 from where I do not know yet.

Sham365
01-17-2002, 10:45 AM
Rare...but still...That's a bad mamma jamma!

Ando_Rules
06-25-2002, 07:29 AM
wow guys nice a$$ pics, the yellow makes it look so sweet thanx for that pic Enzo. ya i know i have never seen one of these on the streets, is it limited production so that there isnt a lot around???

jsb88
06-26-2002, 11:22 AM
can i get one in the UK
i remember playing with one of these with my friends midtown madness chicago edition...

jsb88
09-16-2002, 02:13 PM
What aftermarket goodies are there for this car? That would be very nice, a "souped up" Panoz AIV.

Gunman
09-17-2002, 07:09 PM
It uses a Mustang Cobra engine, so any mods for it, should work in the AIV.

Chris
09-21-2002, 10:01 PM
Well, you will have to worry about space. That means, lots of work 'customizing' parts, you will need a good garage:)

jsb88
10-29-2002, 01:18 PM
I want one! did they ever make RHD?

Scott 02
01-21-2003, 09:51 PM
Not sure, Think is were im form i see them all the time in car magazines but never seen one in person.

450HPviper
03-13-2003, 05:08 AM
Seen I in a car show back in 99. I didn't know they were so rare.

ac427cpe
03-13-2003, 09:40 PM
here's one at an autoX in phx, sadly, i wasn't racing at this one...

Gafoto
05-23-2003, 10:35 PM
Isn't the 0-60 under 3 seconds? This thing is wack!

PanozMike
09-29-2004, 10:24 AM
Just beware that this roadster has had issues with water leaking in with the ragtop in place. This car is very unique. It is close to being a true sports car. The orginal meaning of sports car was a car without side windows, little or no luxury features, and small in size. The Panoz is a good modern version of the traditional sports car. The Vette is a great modern style sports car. That new ZO6 is wicked.

No, what you described was the traditional definition of a roadster, not a sports car.

PanozMike
09-29-2004, 10:27 AM
Isn't the 0-60 under 3 seconds? This thing is wack!

No it's about 4.5 seconds. If you can find of of the 4 factory supercharged cars, it'll do it in like 3.8 seconds!

ZONAProadster
07-12-2005, 08:41 PM
a couple of yrs ago the panoz was not a rare car around my town. a guy lived no farther than a 100 yrds and owned a 1998 blue with black int.. one day when i was heading home from a day of cruising on the beach i happened to see the blue panoz and another red with tan int. but now i have the only one.

this car is a blast to drive (driven atleast once a month), gets plenty of attention and is very rare
#22 of 76

ZONAProadster
07-17-2005, 06:59 PM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=45219&password=&sort=1&cat=3382&page=1

Thunderchero
11-24-2005, 08:46 AM
HEY! This is a new forum, Panoz. I requested it to the AF God. I just felt that these cars are well deserving of praise, so if you wish to praise them, feel free.

Well, these are some specs on the AIV roadster.

AIV stands for Aluminum Intensive Vehicle. The extensive use of Aluminum (70%) considerably cut weight.

http://www.panozauto.com/images/1_204m.jpg

It's powered by a Cobra 4.6L V8. With 4 Overhead Cams and 32 valves it puts out 305 hp and gets the car to 60 in 4.4 seconds!

http://www.panozauto.com/images99/car_collector2.jpg

http://www.chem.ucla.edu/~na/pics/cars/usa/panozroadster.jpg
Hey- I just got my 98 AIV and I'm sooo pleased with it, Iresearched these cars for almost 2 years and tried to buy 3 of them but every time I got close- they were gone! Not this time- Black with tan- 15k - nice nice nice with the optional tool kit. What a riot- like a street rod-(had several)- like a sand rail(had several)- like my Harley but faster & much cooler. I work in a dealership with all kinds of exotics- This got everybody's attention.
Anybody come up with a better set up for the speaker covers?

Day Dreamer
11-27-2005, 05:06 PM
Congrats on your new Roadster, Get used to your new question "What is it? I have a '98 triple Black, so I'm telling you by experence, everybody want to ask you about it. Fun to drive on those warm summer nights or cool fall days. Have fun! There is still good days, here in Tennessee when you can go for a cruise.

Thunderchero
11-27-2005, 06:01 PM
Congrats on your new Roadster, Get used to your new question "What is it? I have a '98 triple Black, so I'm telling you by experence, everybody want to ask you about it. Fun to drive on those warm summer nights or cool fall days. Have fun! There is still good days, here in Tennessee when you can go for a cruise.

Went to a cruise in Friday night- got plenty of questions & pics taken. Wanted to go to the Turkey rod run in Daytona this weekend but couldn't go. What a blast to drive! Scared myself a couple of times. Are your speaker covers banged up. Seems every AIV has the same problem. I'm thinking of having a piece made of billet aluminum to cover both speakers or trying to find a cover that will fit & look good and not bend

Day Dreamer
11-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Went to a cruise in Friday night- got plenty of questions & pics taken. Wanted to go to the Turkey rod run in Daytona this weekend but couldn't go. What a blast to drive! Scared myself a couple of times. Are your speaker covers banged up. Seems every AIV has the same problem. I'm thinking of having a piece made of billet aluminum to cover both speakers or trying to find a cover that will fit & look good and not bend

I have replaced my covers twice, the last time Panoz Factory replaced them with a newer model Eclipse cover that seems to be a lot better. They have the screws visible from the outside, but still look good. Once you replace them, you will be careful with your elbow and should not have any more problems.

Add your comment to this topic!