Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Spyder Subs

j13jjs
12-13-2004, 01:59 PM
I also posted this in performance... woops, Im new.

I have a 99' Spyder GS-T, its my 2nd Spyder first was a 97' GS. On all of my vehicles I like to go pretty big with the subs, I have been running into problems with my spyders. With my first one I put a Solobaric L7 12' in the trunk because it took small air space. Well it sucked because it rattled the shit out of all of the convertible componets and no amount of dynamat ever stopped it. I took that out and removed the back seat and built in a custom box with 3 p-miller 12's liquie cooled behind plexiglass. it worked well.

Now with my 99' I don't want to lose my rear seat, so im looking at other options. I have heard of taking out rear 6x9's and doing some fiberglass work to get 8's in their, but thats a lot of work for two 8 inch subs. I doubt anything will fit under the front seats. I called Hi-Fi buys and they say they can fit a box that holds 2 10's on the inside of the car out of site, he said it is between the interior and body, also said their was some minor metal cutting involved. This sounds like my best choice, but Im not going to pay Hi-Fi buys to do it? anyone have any ideas of set ups they did preserving the interior and still getting performance?

Report Post | IP: Logged

scottsee
12-13-2004, 04:56 PM
2 8's will not give you deep base, their for midrange. it all depends on how tric you want to be. i think fiberglass 8's in place of the 6x9's with 6 1/2 components right next to them would be a veary nice system. that sounds really good. i think i might just do it! i've seen a couple of cars that had subs where the passenger side airbags were (where everyone puts the lcd screen) i personally wouldnt do it. i dont know man, subs just take up so much space. and its just to easy to hide them in our cars. have you tryed asking around at 4g64.com? the seats dont fold down do they?

1stGenRocks
12-13-2004, 05:36 PM
if the spyder has a spare tire well you can mount a sub in there.

BoostedSpyder
12-14-2004, 04:47 PM
you are running into the same problem i got right now.

i had a JL w6v2 in a small box that was rokning very nice bass with not too much rattle. then i got a 10'' Alpine Bandpass box that barely fit into the trunk and it rattled the rear end like crazy. but then that got stolen.

now i have no idea how i'm going to go. i'm getting an ins check and probably tossing in an extra couple bux for a nice custon something or other... we will see and i'll get you guys some pix too :)

NOFX0617
12-17-2004, 08:27 PM
i think fiberglass 8's in place of the 6x9's with 6 1/2 components right next to them would be a veary nice system. that sounds really good.

yes they would sound good, if you liked the way your solo-baric L7 12 was good, then you will like the L7 8's they hit harder than most 12's i hear.

Zero8985
12-28-2004, 01:10 AM
I've come to the conclusion that the Spyder is no good for any subs whatsoever, no matter what you do. The top is just going to continue to rattle. I tried it once. I actually tried what 1stGen suggested and placed a 12 in the spare tire well, and had it secured, the box didn't move, though i couldn't cover it back up because it was too high up (also, below it was the windshield washer fluid tank). The amp stayed back there too. I left the cardboard flooring out, and it still sounded like shit. I couldn't see out the back window to well cause of the vibrations. After two days, I took the 12 and the amp out and my cousin put the 12 back in his box for his Tahoe.

Eh... it's fine though, cause the spyders are sexier than hardtops any day of the week. :D

Add your comment to this topic!