Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

4G63 swap

sicSS396
12-09-2004, 03:31 PM
can anybody give me details on the 4G63 swap? can it be done? i want to do some engine mods, but the 4G64 in the mighty max isn't the most common in the aftermarket. please help!

poorboyj
01-06-2005, 10:24 AM
Yeah, I did something similar.

http://www.v8eaters.com/uploaded/jays/turbotruck054.jpg

http://www.v8eaters.com/uploaded/jays/turbotruck140.jpg

Any specific questions about it?

Jay

CivMoeEJ8
02-03-2005, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I did something similar.

http://www.v8eaters.com/uploaded/jays/turbotruck054.jpg

http://www.v8eaters.com/uploaded/jays/turbotruck140.jpg

Any specific questions about it?

Jay

What did you do as far as mounts and tranny?

poorboyj
02-03-2005, 08:13 PM
What did you do as far as mounts and tranny?

Stock block and tranny, I never pulled them.

Jay

CivMoeEJ8
02-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Stock block and tranny, I never pulled them.

Jay

4G63 Head is a direct bolt on to the 4G64 block!?!?!

CivMoeEJ8
02-04-2005, 09:28 AM
That's magnificent! What all did you need to do the swap besides the head? Did you use the 4g63 ECU? What about the engine wiring harness?

poorboyj
02-08-2005, 06:29 AM
That's magnificent! What all did you need to do the swap besides the head? Did you use the 4g63 ECU? What about the engine wiring harness?

Here's the list I have so far:

Parts:
Turbo exhaust manifold
TD05H turbine housing w/ wastegate
Rebuild turbo - new bearings
Cyclone intake manifold w/ actuators & sensors
Star/Quest FMIC
1G BOV
Turbo oil & water lines
Denso upgraded fuel pump
Turbo manual 450cc injectors
92 turbo ECU, manual, federal
91-94 NON-Turbo throttle body w/ sensors
91-94 CAS
Stock paint valvecover
91-94 engine wire harness
Mitsubishi '94 Galant 2.4L DOHC composite head gasket
Mitsubishi '94 Galant 2.4L DOHC timing belt
Thermostat housing
91-94 fuel rail
1G turbo fuel pressure regulator
Misc gaskets - front case, oil filter housing, oil pickup
Timing belt gears - crank & oil pump
Knock sensor
Timing belt covers
Misc parts - hoses, lines, etc.
Intercooler piping - (2) 2 1/2" 180 degree U-bends
Exhaust piping - (1) flange, (1) 2 1/2" 180, (3) 2 1/2" 90
Turbo outlet flange - downpipe flange
Dynomax muffler - Ultraflow, round, 2 1/2" in, 2 1/2" out
Limited Slip Differential
Galant 2.4 DOHC exhaust cam gears (2) - MD189399

Modifications:
Thermostat housing - 3" interference with firewall Thermostat housing relocation
CAS - 1" interference with firewall Alter firewall for 1" more clearance (BFH)
Balance belt - different tooth pitch Delete balance shaft operation
Timing belt - different width Use DSM timing belt gears & "plate"
Power steering bracket - will not bolt to DSM head Use modified DSM PS bracket to block
Front case - no provision for hydraulic tensioner Use DSM front case
Cyclone intake manifold - throttle body mount on wrong side Block inlet, new flange on other end
Throttle cable - attachment Custom bracket w/ adjustment???
Heater hoses - affect intake manifold fitment Omit heater
Water pump - ~1/4" interference with tensioner arm Clearance
Alternator - won't fit with DSM front case Use DSM alternator
Air conditioning bracket - ~1/4" interference with idler pulley Clearance
Timing belt tensioner arm - ~1/4 interference Clearance
Fuel pressure regulator - interference with throttle body Switch fuel rail inlet & outlet
Brake booster - ~1/2" interference with intake manifold Clearance with BFH
Intake manifold stay - ~1/2" interference with intake manifold Remove
Front motor mount - excess material Cut off excess
Fuel inlet hose - piener Replace with spliced DSM hose
Turbo wastegate actuator - placement & clearance under manifold Drill & tap, use long bolt w/ spacer
Exhaust - 5" clearance between turbine housing and firewall 2 1/2" U-bend, 2 1/2" under truck
Radiator fan - Interference with front mounted water outlet Use electric fan with thermostat (3/8NPT)

CivMoeEJ8
02-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Is all of that stuff necessary? I know the head, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, turbo, charge pipes, BOV, engine harness, timing belt and headgasket and maybe ECU would probably be sufficient.

CivMoeEJ8
02-11-2005, 06:46 AM
Here's the list I have so far:

Parts:
Cyclone intake manifold w/ actuators & sensors

What is the cyclone intake manifold from?

poorboyj
02-11-2005, 07:34 AM
What is the cyclone intake manifold from?

The cyclone intake manifold is a 3 piece cast intake manifold from some Japanese Mitsubishi cars. It has actuators that control a set of butterflies in the manifold to open a second set of runners. I was hoping, being 3 pieces, I could reverse the top piece, but that wasn’t possible. You could just use a DSM intake manifold, but I got this for about the same price and it included a JDM coil pack and igniter.

Jay

dinoraver3466
02-12-2005, 08:18 PM
the 2.0 head also has oil ports .. the 2.4 block needs to be plugged in those spots.. so as far as the firewall.. all that had interferance was the thermostat??? what tranny?.. wide or narrow??? 2.0 auto, or 2.4 manual??? what rearend?? this is my wish l;ist........ 2.4 bottom end.. 4g63t cyclone topend.. rx7 jdm turboII tranny.. starion axels.. stock 410 gears..

The cyclone intake manifold is a 3 piece cast intake manifold from some Japanese Mitsubishi cars. It has actuators that control a set of butterflies in the manifold to open a second set of runners. I was hoping, being 3 pieces, I could reverse the top piece, but that wasn’t possible. You could just use a DSM intake manifold, but I got this for about the same price and it included a JDM coil pack and igniter.

Jay

CivMoeEJ8
02-12-2005, 10:43 PM
the 2.0 head also has oil ports .. the 2.4 block needs to be plugged in those spots.. so as far as the firewall.. all that had interferance was the thermostat??? what tranny?.. wide or narrow??? 2.0 auto, or 2.4 manual??? what rearend?? this is my wish l;ist........ 2.4 bottom end.. 4g63t cyclone topend.. rx7 jdm turboII tranny.. starion axels.. stock 410 gears..

He just bolted a 4g63t head on his 2.4L block...

CivMoeEJ8
02-12-2005, 10:44 PM
If you use a dsm manifold the throttle body will be against the firewall....

Jay

dinoraver3466
02-13-2005, 09:16 AM
then i believe he missed something............i have used 2.0 heads on a 4g64 block without plugging anything...... but every post i read about the 4g63t head says" because its dohc you have to plug some oil ports."

He just bolted a 4g63t head on his 2.4L block...

CivMoeEJ8
02-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Plug oil ports on the head or the block?

then i believe he missed something............i have used 2.0 heads on a 4g64 block without plugging anything...... but every post i read about the 4g63t head says" because its dohc you have to plug some oil ports."

dinoraver3466
02-13-2005, 09:58 PM
on the block...... go to www.dsmtalk.com and read about the 4g64t swaps..... lots of good info...should keep you busy for a couple of days.....lol good stuff.. :grinno:

poorboyj
02-13-2005, 10:01 PM

You are correct, on "7 bolt" 4G64 block there are oil drain ports to plug. I am pretty sure these are from 1993 and up. Fortunatly, my block is a 1990, so there were no ports to plug. Again these are oil drainage "ports" so there is no oil pressure in them, but it would make a mess if you didn't plug them.

Jay

CivMoeEJ8
02-14-2005, 10:47 AM
That website is down and they don't know if it's going to be back up!

on the block...... go to www.dsmtalk.com and read about the 4g64t swaps..... lots of good info...should keep you busy for a couple of days.....lol good stuff.. :grinno:

poorboyj
02-14-2005, 10:54 AM
That website is down and they don't know if it's going to be back up!

Well, I know you've seen this site: http://www.4g64.com I found this on there:

http://www.4g64.com/users/raycer97/2g_parts.htm

Jay

dinoraver3466
02-14-2005, 09:13 PM
that is another great site....... didnt know there was a 7bolt 2.4..... i was under the impression that was only 2.0................... i.e: crankwalk.........

Well, I know you've seen this site: http://www.4g64.com I found this on there:

http://www.4g64.com/users/raycer97/2g_parts.htm

Jay

slmd90mitz
02-14-2005, 09:47 PM
Any mitz motor with the 4g block code will work, all of the 4g series motors have the same head bolt pattern and bell housing pattern

poorboyj
02-14-2005, 10:13 PM
Any mitz motor with the 4g block code will work, all of the 4g series motors have the same head bolt pattern and bell housing pattern

That isn't completely accurate. There are two distinct bell housing patterns, dubbed narrow block (standard DSM size) and wide block (typically found in RWD configurations).

Jay

dinoraver3466
02-15-2005, 06:05 PM
4g63 standard tranny- narrow block
4g63 automatic tranny- wide block
4g64 standard tranny- narrow block
4g64 automatic tranny- wide block
2.6liter. head is not the same and nothing else either.

now a secret for everybody with a truck... galant sohc 2.4 has roller rockers, and a huge lobe cam ... AS LONG AS YOU REBUILD THE HEAD you can use that setup and gain a redline of 6300 .. i run an eclipse ecu, galant rockers & cam, modified mas " cut out half the honeycomb" , 4g63t injectors & fuel pump, all on a sohc .. no numbers yet but its not bad.. im waitning till' summer to do my 4g64t swap.. motor is ready should put 375 to the wheels ... tranny is good till' 450hp.. i think i might do s-10 rear end so i can tub it.. well we will see.........

That isn't completely accurate. There are two distinct bell housing patterns, dubbed narrow block (standard DSM size) and wide block (typically found in RWD configurations).

Jay

CivMoeEJ8
02-23-2005, 05:09 PM
How are you planning on putting 375hp to the ground with a stock motor? Just b/c you put a new head on it and bump the redline up doesn't mean it's going to give you 200+ hp!

now a secret for everybody with a truck... galant sohc 2.4 has roller rockers, and a huge lobe cam ... AS LONG AS YOU REBUILD THE HEAD you can use that setup and gain a redline of 6300 .. i run an eclipse ecu, galant rockers & cam, modified mas " cut out half the honeycomb" , 4g63t injectors & fuel pump, all on a sohc .. no numbers yet but its not bad.. im waitning till' summer to do my 4g64t swap.. motor is ready should put 375 to the wheels ... tranny is good till' 450hp.. i think i might do s-10 rear end so i can tub it.. well we will see.........

dinoraver3466
03-16-2005, 09:52 PM
there are trucks with over 500 at the crank... did i say stock motor?

Add your comment to this topic!