Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Timing belt change.

drmattdogg
12-07-2004, 09:58 PM
well lately ive noticed my timing belt has been pretty squeaky. im just curious if thats a sign that it needs changed? i was just wondering how i should go about inspecting it? as to my knowledge, it hasnt been changed since i bought the car with 75k miles on it, its up to 118k now. also what kind of price range should i expect to have that done because this is not something id want to attempt myself. it seems a pretty labor intensive job and i dont have the tools for it really.

beyondloadedSE
12-10-2004, 11:01 PM
zetec of duratec?

drmattdogg
12-14-2004, 01:26 PM
its a 4 cylinder, i think zetec? if i remember ill recheck it

beyondloadedSE
12-14-2004, 08:07 PM
its a 4 cylinder, i think zetec? if i remember ill recheck it

I would definetely get it changed just for preventive measure, as the belts can stretch over time. I certainly wouldnt recommend doing it yourself if you dont have the proper tools and a service manual.

xuto
05-18-2006, 12:51 PM
well lately ive noticed my timing belt has been pretty squeaky. im just curious if thats a sign that it needs changed? i was just wondering how i should go about inspecting it? as to my knowledge, it hasnt been changed since i bought the car with 75k miles on it, its up to 118k now. also what kind of price range should i expect to have that done because this is not something id want to attempt myself. it seems a pretty labor intensive job and i dont have the tools for it really.

At 75k you are getting pretty close to a timing belt change.However the squeaking that you here is not your timing belt because timing belts can't squeak, they have teeth like a gear. The squeaking noise you are hearing is coming from your serpentine belt. This should be replace and it is significantly less expensive.

Add your comment to this topic!