Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Reprograming Remote Entry Unit?

pingiii
12-05-2004, 11:40 AM
I had to replace the batteries in my remote entry unit. There were some instructions printed inside the unit which said to press the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for seven seconds but this hasn't worked. The unit will not open or lock my doors. How do you reprogram these units? I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!

89IROC&RS
12-05-2004, 05:17 PM
you probly just need to re-sync it. Stand outside the car about three feet away, and hold down the lock and unlock buttons for 10-15 seconds. The door locks should lock and unlock, and it should be programmed.

pingiii
12-05-2004, 06:04 PM
you probly just need to re-sync it. Stand outside the car about three feet away, and hold down the lock and unlock buttons for 10-15 seconds. The door locks should lock and unlock, and it should be programmed.

Hi 89IROC&RS,

Thanks for your reply, but I tried what you suggested but I didn't have any luck. Nothing happens. After doing as you suggested, the door locks did not recycle. I have two remotes and tried this with both but neither works. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, PINGIII

89IROC&RS
12-06-2004, 03:02 AM
ok in that case, lets see if i remember this correctly..

get in the car, and put the key in the ignition with it off.

hold down the lock and unlock buttons on the driver side door, and while holding them, cycle the key from off to on three times, and the locks should cycle lock and unlock, when that happens, take the first remote, and hold the lock and unlock buttons on it for 10-15 seconds, the locks should cycle, then repeat with remote number two, start the car to exit the programming setup.

if memory serves thats the procedure, but its been a good six months sense i did one of those.

pingiii
12-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi 89IROC&RS,

Thanks for your reply, but I tried what you suggested but I didn't have any luck. Nothing happens. After doing as you suggested, the door locks did not recycle. I have two remotes and tried this with both but neither works. Any other suggestions?

Thanks, PINGIII

OK, At least this time it was different, but they still don't work. On my 97 Camaro there is only a single rocker type switch for the locks on the inside of the door. You can toggle to either lock or unlock, but you can't hold down the switch in both directions at the same time, so I couldn't do that part of your instructions. I also tried the cycling procedure you suggested, but that didn't work either until I removed the radio fuse. Someone else told me that this disables the security system and allows the system to enter into program mode. After doing that and moving the key to the on position three times, the door locks did cycle from lock to unlock. I then held down the remote lock and unlock buttons for over 15 seconds but nothing happened. I put the fuse back in and they still don't work. I tried the above procedure multiple times but without success. I must be missing something else. Any additional suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

89IROC&RS
12-06-2004, 02:00 PM
ah HA forgot about the radio fuse and the toggle, its slowly coming back to me.

try doing what you did before, with the radio fuse out and cycling the key, while holding the unlock button down the whole time. and attempt to reprogram the remotes. If that still dosnt work. take the key fobs to the dealership and have them tested for functionality. it takes about 2 seconds apeice. and while youre their, ask them to print up the directions for reprograming the remotes so you have them on record. If they refuse, remind them that the law states they have to give you that information, or do the work for free.

pingiii
12-06-2004, 02:40 PM
OK, At least this time it was different, but they still don't work. On my 97 Camaro there is only a single rocker type switch for the locks on the inside of the door. You can toggle to either lock or unlock, but you can't hold down the switch in both directions at the same time, so I couldn't do that part of your instructions. I also tried the cycling procedure you suggested, but that didn't work either until I removed the radio fuse. Someone else told me that this disables the security system and allows the system to enter into program mode. After doing that and moving the key to the on position three times, the door locks did cycle from lock to unlock. I then held down the remote lock and unlock buttons for over 15 seconds but nothing happened. I put the fuse back in and they still don't work. I tried the above procedure multiple times but without success. I must be missing something else. Any additional suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

I guess I'll be going to visit the dealer. Tried again with your suggestion but they still won't program/work. You said in your note there is a "law" that says they must give me the instructions or reprogram these units for free. What or where is this law written? I'd like to take a copy with me so I don't get into a hassel with these guys. Better to be prepared if possible.

Again, thanks for your help and patience.

89IROC&RS
12-07-2004, 01:30 PM
i dont know where it is written, but the short hand version is that a dealership cannot entrap you for repairs. for instance,

some manufacturers say that aftermarke parts void warrante, say aftermarket sparkplugs. well, if they hold true to that, and require you to use factory parts, they have to provide them for free. They cannot require you to use only their parts.

that should hold true to the idea with the remotes. If they are going to force you to let them do it, by not giving you access to the information required to do it yourself, they cannot charge you for it. they will probly charge you to test the remotes for operation.

Add your comment to this topic!