Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Friendly Fire (LT1 vs. the almighty LS1)

tha_new_guy
11-29-2004, 10:37 AM
So I was back in the bay area for thankgiving and I ended up chilling with my friend with a 97 Camaro Z28 with a filtercharger, lowered and I think Borla Exhaust. It's black, he has it on 18's, overall a very nice Camaro.

So we were heading back from Jack in the Box on Saturday night after seeing the usual array of drunken teen behavior and a few clean rides, including a white WRX on the bronze rally-style rims (why are those so appealing?) and we merge on 880 heading north at about 1:30 am. On our way back, we run into, lo and behold, ANOTHER Black Camaro on 18's, however this one was a 99+ SS, and it was proudly sporting an SS sticker that filled up the entire rear window...so knowing me, I go

Me: Don't pretend that you dont see that SS, you know you want to...
Him: It thanksgiving weekend, alot of cops out, i really shouldn't...
Me: DOO IT!
Him: :evillol:

So we're both looking over and the SS changes to the middle lane, pulling up right next to us and matching our speed, at about 70-75 mph. The driver holds his fingers up to count 1,2,3 and he's off. Unfortunately, we had traafic coming up in our lane, the left lane (who does 65 in the left lane in the bay area??) so he flys ahead of us and flashes his hazards.

Me: WTF? You gonna take that?
Him: Dude STFU, I had traffic
Me: Well lets do it again...

So we line up again, this time we are on the right lane and he's in the middle lane. This time, the passenger counts 1,2,3 and we are off again. He gets the jump, but surprisingly we slowly reel him in. At this point we are going just over 105 mph. Now, his passenger counts 1,2,3 again while we are already going and we're both like WTF?? :uhoh: At the third count, his car gets REALLY loud, drowning out our ride completely and he walks us Mercilessly. We might as well have been a Cavalier, the way he walked us. It turns out that he was just messin around with us till we kept up, then he felt the urge to destroy us. Anyways, we give him a thumbs up and go our own way.

Moral of the story: Beware of Camaro SS with a huge SS sticker on the rear window...they might be fast. :rolleyes:

Cliffnotes: There are none, now read, you lazy @#$%@!

Hypsi87
11-29-2004, 10:45 AM
So I was back in the bay area for thankgiving and I ended up chilling with my friend with a 97 Camaro Z28 with a filtercharger, lowered and I think Borla Exhaust. It's black, he has it on 18's, overall a very nice Camaro.

So we were heading back from Jack in the Box on Saturday night after seeing the usual array of drunken teen behavior and a few clean rides, including a white WRX on the bronze rally-style rims (why are those so appealing?) and we merge on 880 heading north at about 1:30 am. On our way back, we run into, lo and behold, ANOTHER Black Camaro on 18's, however this one was a 99+ SS, and it was proudly sporting an SS sticker that filled up the entire rear window...so knowing me, I go

Me: Don't pretend that you dont see that SS, you know you want to...
Him: It thanksgiving weekend, alot of cops out, i really shouldn't...
Me: DOO IT!
Him: :evillol:

So we're both looking over and the SS changes to the middle lane, pulling up right next to us and matching our speed, at about 70-75 mph. The driver holds his fingers up to count 1,2,3 and he's off. Unfortunately, we had traafic coming up in our lane, the left lane (who does 65 in the left lane in the bay area??) so he flys ahead of us and flashes his hazards.

Me: WTF? You gonna take that?
Him: Dude STFU, I had traffic
Me: Well lets do it again...

So we line up again, this time we are on the right lane and he's in the middle lane. This time, the passenger counts 1,2,3 and we are off again. He gets the jump, but surprisingly we slowly reel him in. At this point we are going just over 105 mph. Now, his passenger counts 1,2,3 again while we are already going and we're both like WTF?? :uhoh: At the third count, his car gets REALLY loud, drowning out our ride completely and he walks us Mercilessly. We might as well have been a Cavalier, the way he walked us. It turns out that he was just messin around with us till we kept up, then he felt the urge to destroy us. Anyways, we give him a thumbs up and go our own way.

Moral of the story: Beware of Camaro SS with a huge SS sticker on the rear window...they might be fast. :rolleyes:

Cliffnotes: There are none, now read, you lazy @#$%@!

Yea, I like to give the LS1 guys a hard time but, they make some awesome power. The dyno shop I work at does all sorts of LS1 work and computer tuning. The technology is amazing on them. Their only downfall is the expense. I always give alot of the new LS1, Cobra, etc guys a hard time about how my car can eat them for dinner any day for alot less money. Well, when those cars are cheap in like 10 years, we will have to see if I will be making the power for the price. When they cheapin up, it's gonna be crazy.

TypeS
11-29-2004, 10:48 AM
Now, his passenger counts 1,2,3 again while we are already going and we're both like WTF?? :uhoh:

Haha, that was hilarious. I can totally see that happening.

CassiesMan
11-29-2004, 12:20 PM
Bay area H town or Bay Area

-Josh-
11-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Nice story, it entertained my while im in class with my partner yapping in my god damn ear....god he wont shup up that ignorant bastard.... but good race...

dampachi
11-29-2004, 02:35 PM
Yeah, me and my GT mustang get picked on by LS1 camaros/trans ams all the time. they're so weird to race...I mean...you think they're going all out...and you're like pfft, this is all this car has? and then about the same second you're thinking that you hear VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR and it's gone.

tha_new_guy
11-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Bay area H town or Bay Area
Bay area as in San Francisco, the REAL bay area.

97Lude
11-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Very nice race its funny how he counted again when you guys kept up with him and then he just walked you.

jleighty17
11-29-2004, 06:48 PM
did he spray on you ?
JLI

TypeS
11-29-2004, 07:04 PM
did he spray on you ?
JLI

That's disgusting, save it for the homosexual forums.

I only spray on my girl.

Hypsi87
11-29-2004, 07:20 PM
That's disgusting, save it for the homosexual forums.

I only spray on my girl.

ez killer, lets try to keep the post somewhat clean.

CivRacer95
11-29-2004, 07:39 PM
Yeah, me and my GT mustang get picked on by LS1 camaros/trans ams all the time. they're so weird to race...I mean...you think they're going all out...and you're like pfft, this is all this car has? and then about the same second you're thinking that you hear VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR and it's gone.

That is so true. Does anyone have any opinions on what year Trans Am to buy. Late...

2000LS1Z28
11-30-2004, 12:22 AM
Yea, I like to give the LS1 guys a hard time but, they make some awesome power. The dyno shop I work at does all sorts of LS1 work and computer tuning. The technology is amazing on them. Their only downfall is the expense. I always give alot of the new LS1, Cobra, etc guys a hard time about how my car can eat them for dinner any day for alot less money. Well, when those cars are cheap in like 10 years, we will have to see if I will be making the power for the price. When they cheapin up, it's gonna be crazy.
I don't think you've been looking up Gran National prices lately, cause they ain't exactly cheaper. I've seen them going for $12K+, depending on their condition of course. You can buy a 1998 LS1 powered Z28 for $8K+.
In response to CivRacer95, the 2001-2002 Trans Am's are the one's to get (They have a Z06 intake manifold stock).

Broncodriver
11-30-2004, 12:29 AM
I like picking on the newer Z28s with the LS1 while driving my bronco. I stand no chance what so ever, but i love to watch my buddy kick it down and get all squirly in the road, lol. I keep telling him that ill race in the mud, or when its pouring down rain, but he wont go for it, lol.

christophv
12-01-2004, 11:45 AM
white WRX on the bronze rally-style rims (why are those so appealing?)

simply because the look so good!
If I ever get rims, Ima get them in bronze (and considering they're not for my benz)

Volk TE37!!
http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/emenu/setups/sports/large_01.jpg

tha_new_guy
12-01-2004, 01:40 PM
simply because the look so good!
If I ever get rims, Ima get them in bronze (and considering they're not for my benz)

Volk TE37!!
http://www.rayswheels.co.jp/emenu/setups/sports/large_01.jpg
:drools:

Hypsi87
12-02-2004, 09:38 AM
I don't think you've been looking up Gran National prices lately, cause they ain't exactly cheaper. I've seen them going for $12K+, depending on their condition of course. You can buy a 1998 LS1 powered Z28 for $8K+.
In response to CivRacer95, the 2001-2002 Trans Am's are the one's to get (They have a Z06 intake manifold stock).

I ment cheaper to modify cheaper to get power out of. HP vs. dollar.

90Stangjc
12-03-2004, 02:00 PM
I ment cheaper to modify cheaper to get power out of. HP vs. dollar.
He's got a point with that one. I was looking up prices for exhaust the other day on mine. SLP sells a Camaro muffler for about $522.00. Hmmm let me think...... :cwm27:

huckleberrydude
12-03-2004, 05:55 PM
I have a Z06 intake manifold stock

fearsomefairmont
12-03-2004, 10:06 PM
Hi Folks,
It is truly amazing how fast indeed those LS1 cars are, even barely modified. The powerplant, despite being a pushrod engine, has extraordinarily advanced port and chamber design that is extremely efficient.

You can make muscle car V8s put out power like that but to get that power with a dead stock idle and great fuel economy? No way.

Despite their redneck reputation many knowledge tuners are moving into the LS1 scene. Its the wave of the future, and damn expensive!

May I emphasize - damn expensive!!!!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!