Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Intake systems

krazy8
02-27-2002, 04:57 PM
I heard that you could get about 40 extra horse by adding a cold air intake and I found this one from Nopi (http://www.nopionline.com/partdetails.asp?ProductID=705206) and its tight cuz the yellow would match the car but I cant find any specs on it. Anyone have a clue how much horse this will actually add?

Is there a better intake I could find? I need one installed by saturday so any info would be appreciated. thanks!

--krazy8

s0yb0mb
02-28-2002, 09:02 AM
There's no way, EVER that a CAI wil add 40hp.

Especially on the IS300. The IS's ECU is actually mod-unfriendly... in order to maintain it's emissions, the ECU can over compensate w/ any mod you put in and make performance even WORSE than stock... that is the reason why people w/ forced induction end up going w/ a stand-alone system.

That being said, there are currently only 2 intakes on the market worth getting. Area 51 Fabrications, and SRT. Both intakes incorperate a piggy-back ECu that alters the signal coming from the MAF sensor to trick the stock ECU into leaning out the A/F ratio a little.

Your second option is to get a plain Injen or AEM intake and then add something like the Apexi S-AFC to basically do the same as above, but the S-AFC is adjustable whereas the 2 above are not. This become important if you want to add headers or other mods... the problem is in terms of cost: you have to dyno-tune the car each time a change/mod is made, and that cna cost over $100 a session.

Add your comment to this topic!