Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

resonnator bottle removal

$hott-boi$
11-22-2004, 06:34 PM
my friend was telling me about removing the resonator bottle, but unfortunatly he's in college and cant help me out with it first hand, so can anyone help me with some instructions, he said its pretty easy....

Gateway
11-22-2004, 06:47 PM
http://www.3si.org/pages/resonator.html

Thourun
11-22-2004, 06:56 PM
Its real easy, hardest part is finding something to block it up with.

Im2Fast4U
11-22-2004, 08:46 PM
You could just get a hard intake pipe. It eliminates the resonator easily and gives you some nice bling under the hood :smokin: . 3SX and Dynamic among others have them.

Linebckr49
11-22-2004, 09:04 PM
You could just get a hard intake pipe. It eliminates the resonator easily and gives you some nice bling under the hood :smokin: . 3SX and Dynamic among others have them.

ya if you're goin for bling, then the intake hard pipe is the way to go. however, you won't gain any hp.

BUT, if you just want to remove the resonator to make your intake sound louder, then simply remove it and i've heard that the top from a peanut butter jar will fit nicely. heck, just measure the diameter of the opening, then go to the grocery store and shop for similarly diametric food jar tops.

happy shopping!

Stealthee
11-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Peanut butter jar lid is way too big. You need something like a pill bottle lid. I used the lid off a bottle of Pepto Bismol.;)

Kev3000GT
11-22-2004, 11:08 PM
Milk jug bottle cap for me!

Hotshot8792
11-22-2004, 11:19 PM
Milk jug bottle cap for me!

just make sure whatever you use that you clamp it down so that it doesnt get sucked into the throttle body

sLADe781
11-22-2004, 11:59 PM
So removing the resonator is only for sound right? What if when you replace it with an intake pipe like the one from 3sx. What happens to the resonator then? Do you still need something like the jar to hold it in place or whatever? Also, since the jar is made of plastic, wouldn't it melt? What's the point of the resonator to begin with anyways?

3000Star
11-23-2004, 11:09 PM
well its 12am and i was bored and i desided to bypass my bottle and it only took me five minutes a screwdriver and a tylonel cap..wow that was easy

Thourun
11-24-2004, 04:39 PM
Its like a silencer or muffler for your intake. Take it iff and theres just a hole in the tube, replace hte tube with an aftermarket one and there is no more hole.

Linebckr49
11-25-2004, 11:19 AM
Its like a silencer or muffler for your intake. Take it iff and theres just a hole in the tube, replace hte tube with an aftermarket one and there is no more hole.

that's exactly one of the problems that's arisen here in this thread. i think most people agree with me when i say that to replace the intake tube with an aftermarket one is just pure bling. our intake flow characteristics are just about efficient as they can be. that's why this thread is titled "Resonator Bottle Removal," that is what we're trying to do, and for the sound gained, your only expense is a bottle top, instead of a $50+ new intake tube that will net you 0 hp.

Pulowski22_7
11-26-2004, 09:28 AM
i took mine off yesterday and took the car out to see if i could hear the difference. there really isnt a difference but at 6k rpms there is a high pitch squeel and then it stops when i keep it gunned. what is this sound? does it mean my replacement for the hole the bottle leaves is not tight enough or strong enough? i used a cap off of a shoe cleaner spray. just like a spray paint bottle cap. should i use something stronger? im thinkin i should just put the res bottle back on

Igovert500
11-26-2004, 12:28 PM
2 easy ways to check if it is leaking air.
1 soapy water, 2 a thin strip of paper, whichever you go with, put the soapy water around the seam, or move the slip of paper around the edges...as you are doing this, have a friend give it some gas. IF you get bubbles or if hte paper starts waving from escaping air..u found a leak...if not, hten I'd think your fine.

Add your comment to this topic!