Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

What are some "rare" kits??

99civichic
11-21-2004, 11:30 AM
I see kits all the time at our LHS's, as yall say, and for all I know I could be glancing over a kit someone's been looking for for years. Model kits don't move much in Texas, people are too busy watching football and such. So what I was wondering is, what are some of the rare/desirable kits that avid modelers are seeking? I know there's a thread for classifieds, but there doesn't seem to be too much going on over there.

hirofkd
11-21-2004, 12:32 PM
IMO, the rare kits are the ones that don't show up on auction at all, like in the case where you have enough money, but just can't find the kit you are looking for.

To me, those are the Otaki's 1/24 Lamborghini Cheetah (which I managed to get one after a few years of searching,) and LS's 1/24 scale first generation Supra (Celica 2600GT).

Hawk312
11-21-2004, 01:07 PM
I`m not sure how many people are after this kit, but I have a copy of Scale Auto Enthusiast from the summer of 1994 that had an article about a promotional model for the movie "Used Cars". It looked like an old Monte Carlo or Grand Prix on the front (late 70`s, early 80`s). It also had a picture of Kirk Douglas (i think??) on the front, who was the star of the movie. I have never seen one of these for sale anywhere, and I`ve been in this hobby since `82. I think in the article, this was suggested as the rarest model kit, and only given out to a few involved with the movie.
Another one that I notice is very desirable on places like Ebay is Monogram`s 1/8 Trans Am. Usually they go $150 plus for the non-turbo version, and I`ve seen them go for alot more. Considering they sold for $30 or so at the time, that is a pretty good return. :) I would love to have one.

gasman03
11-21-2004, 02:34 PM
There are alot of rare kits out there that alot of people would like to aquire, most are from the 60-70's,

MPC 71 Dodge Demon,
AMT 66, 68, 69, 71, 72, 73 Impala's
AMT 65 Dodge Coronet
all get almost 200 bucks on Ebay, I saw an AMT 69 Impala go for $350 bucks at a show a few years ago.

vwman
11-21-2004, 02:37 PM
Revell Vw Corrado with Zender body kit. You can see it sometimes on ebay.

Layla's Keeper
11-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Well, you can hardly go wrong with anything out of the Gunze Sangyo "High Tech" series from the 80's. Cast white metal, tons of photo-etch, and all kits of desirable classic sports cars.

The most desirable of those kits are the Ferrari 250GTO's, the Ferrari 250SWB, and the Cobra Daytona Coupe. There's also a very good Jaguar E-Type roadster, an excellent Lotus Elan S1, a Triumph TR-3 and TR-3A, and the Austin Healey Sprite MkI that Zoom-Zoom built.

Also good to watch for are the Fujimi Enthusiast series Ferrari kits. Most of the Enthusiast series has been reissued, but the Ferrari 246GT, 246GTS, and the 365GTB/4, 365GTS, 365GT Speciale, and the rarest of rare 365GTB/4 Competizione, have yet to resurface.

It's a double shame because these are all excellent kits with tons of beautiful detail.

MidMazar
11-21-2004, 10:18 PM
Revell Vw Corrado with Zender body kit. You can see it sometimes on ebay.
yeh this kit is pretty rare, i want it so bad, but it goes up to like 100 dollars. Revell 62 chrysler newport convertable. i also want to get my hands on a amt golf mk1.

Jaymes
11-21-2004, 11:30 PM
how much are those MKI supra/celica kits worth? I've seen one at a hobby shop going for $40

TvD
11-22-2004, 12:59 AM
Tamiya's 1/20 Mclaren M23 is very rare and expensive as well...

Tim

cyclone1410
11-22-2004, 06:47 AM
Hasegawa's Grand Prix series including their Honda RA-272 in 1/24 scale. If you can find one you are up for over $100 and usually in poor condition.

vwman
11-22-2004, 08:02 AM
I nearly forgot, Revells VW Corrado and Corrado Rallye G60 are even more rare. I got very lucky if you see them on ebay; I have saw only once Corrado Rallye G60 on German Ebay.

Porsche Carrera
11-22-2004, 12:57 PM
Hasegawa Honda Civic Ferio Vti, it's pretty rare especially with the VX seven spoke rims.
Hasegawa Porsche 968 CS, I think. :confused:

pettercardoso
11-22-2004, 01:04 PM
Hmmm....I guess I'm pretty lucky to have found a Revell Corrado G60 for only €15 at a trade fair last summer....:D
I'd kill to get another one...:lol:

Dr.AK
11-22-2004, 02:59 PM
Well, I don't know if you could classify it as really rare but... I'm looking for a Revell Trabant RS600. In 4 months I only saw it once on ebay. And I sadly missed the end of the auction.

The normal version (http://i4.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/de/00/61_1_b.JPG) is pretty common on ebay of germany, and goes for about 5-10€ each. But that racing version... Gah I want it!

RallyRaider
11-22-2004, 04:34 PM
Tamiya's 1/20 Mclaren M23 is very rare and expensive as well...

Tim

Yeah and their 1/12th Texaco-Marlboro liveried one as well. Even more desireable for me is the 1/12th Protar MP4/2C. Passed on the chance to buy one years ago and have been kicking myself ever since!

freakmech
11-22-2004, 06:48 PM
I will make this clear to you if your looking to buy up old models and sell them on E-bay. Any car kit that is 1/12 or larger will bring in a profit. They are rarely made any more but desired by many. One of the prides of my collection is a 1/12 Ferrari Tessarossa Spyder by Italeri. I found it in a shop on sale for $23.99. Ive been offered $275 for it and that was at the mention of having it. Also buy any pre 80's kit but be sure its not a re-issue! originals this old will turn a profit. the 80's models are tricky and the best thing to do is check e-bay to see what they are going for before buying. In fact you can take pics of the models at the store then check what they sell for. BUT....
A word to the wise.... I was doing this for a smalll amount of time and found rare kits in the southeast and sold (or couldnt sell them) them on e-bay and i found that the people that wanted the kits and would pay what they were worth never seemed to come up with the money so the chances that your hobby shop is siting on a gold mine is unlikely but there might be a few hundred to be made to buy some models you want.

freakmech
11-22-2004, 06:54 PM
P.S. and as with everything on E-bay is right time right place. you need to find a buyer that wants the kit so bad he'll pay what its worth. Its better to go to forums and search for what people are looking for and buy those kits. e-bay you could lose money just placing adds over and over again. hope this helps.

99civichic
11-22-2004, 08:44 PM
I wasn't looking so much as to turn a profit as to help people out here. For all I know, I could be looking at a kit that would complete someone's collection, or that someone's been looking for with no luck. I go to hobby stores across the state of Texas.

Murco
11-23-2004, 01:12 AM
I`m not sure how many people are after this kit, but I have a copy of Scale Auto Enthusiast from the summer of 1994 that had an article about a promotional model for the movie "Used Cars". It looked like an old Monte Carlo or Grand Prix on the front (late 70`s, early 80`s). It also had a picture of Kirk Douglas (i think??) on the front, who was the star of the movie. I have never seen one of these for sale anywhere, and I`ve been in this hobby since `82. I think in the article, this was suggested as the rarest model kit, and only given out to a few involved with the movie..
LOL- That was the annual "april fools" issue!! :iceslolan
Another one that I notice is very desirable on places like Ebay is Monogram`s 1/8 Trans Am. Usually they go $150 plus for the non-turbo version, and I`ve seen them go for alot more. Considering they sold for $30 or so at the time, that is a pretty good return. :) I would love to have one.
I've got one... Let's talk!!

A gunze "hi-tech" Jag XKE went for $56.00 on e-Bay last night, they normally go over $175.00!!! Damn movie date!!!

99civichic
11-23-2004, 01:41 AM
This is will:

I used to have a huge model of a 3rd gen trans am that was twin turbo...It was my bro's and it had a poor start and by the time i got it it had tons of broken pieces and was a lost cause...I stole the big turbo's for a single turbo conversion or so on a supra and tossed the rest of the model.

William

tonioseven
11-23-2004, 10:36 AM
I'm forever searching for an MPC 1971 Bonneville and Grand Prix....

freakmech
11-23-2004, 04:33 PM
well if that is the case i am always willing to buy any and all of the 1980's Testors kits that are in big bright yellow boxes

freakmech
11-23-2004, 04:55 PM
these are what im looking for.... this series, any car, there were about 20+ cars in this series i want them all!!!!! http://files.automotiveforums.com/gallery/watermark.php?file=/503/77057DSC01552-med.JPG

Hawk312
11-23-2004, 06:03 PM
LOL- That was the annual "april fools" issue!!
Yeah! Someone else has this issue!! :D
I liked the article about spraying your model boxes to avoid "pock marks" left by "plastids". :D Or the Melf`s; the cars that look like the tires have melted down, complete with coverage of the "Melffest". :D
The "Used Cars" model was one of the few legit stories in that one.

I've got one... Let's talk!!
You got a PM!

Add your comment to this topic!