Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

SRT-4's beaten Vettes Hugh???????

Pages : [1] 2

GreenGlowC5
11-12-2004, 05:11 PM
Guys.......Lets be real......

I have read so may post of a supposedly stock SRT-4 beating a C5...

It's just funny.....

My C5 ( wich is a slow one ) due to a 80 degre Hawaiian Track and being an automatic and having the slowest gears available ( 2.73 )

Stills runs a 13.5 at 104 mph bone stock through the 1/4 mile....

Thats a slow one!!!!!!!

Automatics with 3.15 gear or manuals with 3.42 gars can run 12.9-13.1 in 60 degre weater...

The fastest a BONE stock SRT-4 will go is 13.8 ( and thats being VERY generous)

Since most mags advertise low 14's...

But Ill belave that there are some gifted racers on a special night with the moon and the stars alighned perfectly that have gotten into the high 13 range...

Just like there are skilled drivers that get into the high 12's in stock vettes...

Im not taking anything away from the SRT-4.....If I wanted a Daily Driver while the Vette Kept the miles low.....The ST-4 would be it..

Great performance for a great price...

But the reality is that Ive ran NUMEROUS stock SRT-4's at my track with my bone stock C5..

Do to the 80 degree weather I only run around 13.5 and they only run around 14.5...

If we were i the mainland at a 50-60 degee track instead of the hot Hawaiian weather...

Id run 13.3 stock and the SRT-4 would run 14.3 stock...

HEY BEING A SECOND BEHIND A CAR THAT YOU COST LESS THAN HALF AS MUCH AS IS VERY IMPRESSIVE...

But these post about taking a C5 with your stock or 99 percent stock SRT-4 is jst not the way it realy works.....

Im not saying it cant happen bone stock vrs bone stock....

It can....

The first tme I took my C5 to the track I ran a 14.2....A 14.1.....A 14.3....And then my last run was a 13.9....

If I had raced an SRT-4 that had an Intake or exhaust ( still 99 percent stock) he would pull a 14.4 or 14.3 at my track instead of the 14.5 they pull at my track bone stock.....

We would have had a close race........

but that would only be because it was my first time launching the car.....

He on the other hand already went through his low 15....High 14 phase and is dead on most of the time with a 14.5.....

And that dead on 14.5 is now a14.3 thanks to an intake/ exhaust...

Now lets say that on that run I pulled a 14.36 compared to his 14.33...

He then might ( as Ive seen mny SRT-4 owners do) go post about how his car is quicker than a C5 and How he smoked one at the track with his close to stock car. And how the STR-4 is a Vette killer...

Realistically...After that first track outing I went to Corvette Foroum and learned how to launch the car...

I went back to the track a week later and pulled a 13.6 my first timeout....

Ive now got 70 passes with the stock C5 and havnt been in the 14 again since the first track outing...

I now run 13.5-13.7 all night...

REMEMBER......This is the slowest C5.....An automatic with 2.73 ( fuel economy ) gears...

Plus running at an 80 degree track in Hawaii.....

An SRT-4 in a pro drivers hands in perfect weather with a strong tail wind will not equl what my slowest model C5 can do in 80 degree weather....

It's a great car for the money.....But a second slower than a vette....

A C5 is a second slower than a Viper....Ive equaled Vipers in the quarter mile...

Not because my car is magicaly a Viper beater....But probly because the person just hasnt learnd how to drive it yet...

All things being equal My Corvett ( while awesome all around performance for the money) is a second slower than a Viper that cost 30 grand more.....

All things being equal, your SRT-4 ( while just as fast as an 30 grand S2000) is a second slower than my Corvette that cost 30 grand more...

So lets just be real about our post.....

OH BTW...If your gonna ge madd and start saying how your car smokes C5 vettes all the time...

Please post your mod list....

It's no big deal that a modded car can make up for a second...

I could do a H/C job fo 3 grand and put on some sticky tiers for 1 grand and run low 12's high 11's and smoke vipers...

But then my car is modded......I should be beating stock cars......

Im sure you guys can do stage #???? turbo and put on ome sticky tires or 4 grand and beat corvettes.....

A second diferance is big at the track...But not massive money wise...

Qwkslvr04
11-13-2004, 12:42 AM
Jesus, dude. You've got issues or something. Two words: seek help. Maybe you should've bought an srt-4 yourself?

JCCR
11-13-2004, 08:15 PM
i beat a c5 before

DanF
11-15-2004, 09:36 AM
There is no way a stock C5 pulls a 12.9 at all. The new C6's with the LS2 and a six speed with an immaculate driver can see a 12.9, with 50 more horse power. An old C5 might be able to pull a 13.5 with a very good driver and six speed with good gears. With the bad gearset you shoudl be able to pull a 13.8 and an auto might be around the smae or maybe pull a 13.9. I got the info on the LS2 C6 from car and driver so its pretty accurate as far as I am concerned. The wieght of the car makes 50 horse power a big loss or gain. So if you have the bad gears or an auto and the person has an SRT-4 and is a good driver its possible they can run door to door, and if the vette driver can't drive the SRT-4 can beat it. Most people don't unserstand that those cars are actually fast... I mean there still a neon... but the facts are they still move.. BTW I have seen an SRT-4 pull a 13.8 stock. And with the stage 2 upgrade can pull a 13 flat and possibly even a very high 12.

GreenGlowC5
11-16-2004, 02:10 AM
The C6 has been a dissapointment to us...

Pleas ont mention it's name again...He he..

You can look in anymag or check any forum or go to your local dag strip....

A C5 doe 0-60 mph in 4.7-4.9 mph depending on if it's an auto or manual...

The manual dose the 1/4 mile in anywhere from 12.9-13.3...

The auto dose the 1/4 mile in any where from 13.1-13.4....

THIS IS PRETTY COMMON KNOWLEDGE....

Th C6 should thereticaly be destroying the C5...

It weighs the same but has 4 more rwhp...

But do to GM screwing up the pcm on it...

The car is boging off the line andonly averaging around 13.0..

To date....The quickest one BONE STOCK one www.corvetteforoum.com is only a 12.7....And it's an automatic.

In retrospect..The quickest bone stock C5's run 12.7 on our board...

So the C6 just int a good tool to use in this evaluation...

I cant beleave you think a Auto C5 cnt run a 13.5 or better....

My 13.5 is actually on the slow side compared to most C5's due to my 85 degre track here in Hawaii...

I was ashamed to even post that time....

I am not doubting that there are some factory freak SRT-4's out thee tht when combined with th right driver can hit a 13.8-13.9 like you said you saw someone do....

There's even a guy on Corvette Foroum who posted how he sa his neibors bone stock SRT-4 run a 13.9...

It dosent happn often but it can happen....

What Im trying to explain to you i that while a high 13 in an SRT-4 is AWESOME....

In a C5...If you ran a best ever of 13.8-13.9....You'd be really dissapointed...

The guy who claims to have the slowst Corvette on our Foroum pulld a best of 13.9 Bone stock.....

He got a Lemon from the factory...

Other than him..The slowest you here of any 2000 and up C5 runing is a 13.6..

And thats usualy due to weather conditions ( like my self running in 85 degree Hawaii) or just not knowig how to drive to the full potential of the car...

So you take a SLOW SLOW SLOW auto matic vette that only runs 13.7 on a cold 60 degree night due to eghter car bing a factory weak one or driver just being horrible..

Now onthe flip side take a factory freak srt-4 that runs 13.8 right out of the box with a great driver....

Put them both on the same track right beside each other.......Even thoug the C5 was a weak one and only ran 13.7 (Horrible for a C5) it would still beat the insane for anSRT-4 that ran 13.8.....

Thats just how much quicker a C5 is....

We just gotta be real about this....

A stock C5 took on a stock Mustang cobra about 6 months ago in Motor trend....

Th C5 pulled a 13.0 and the Cobra pulled a 13.1...

If an SRT-4 had been in the comparo it would have pulled around 14.0...

Thats just the truth....Take any magazine for example...

And I hate using magazines but sometimes it's appropriate....

They will say tha the C5 runs 13.1-13.3 in the 1/4 at 109 mph

They will say that the SRT-4 runs 14.0-14.3 in the 1/4 at 102 mph...

Thas a pretty significant differance...

The undrdog is always so quick to say that if you took a really strong SRT-4 with a great driver and put him against a AUTO C5 with an Horrible driver that a Door to door race might be possible...

An SRT-4 would have a better chance against an manual C5 than a Auo...

The manual might mis a gear or not be proficient with a stick...

Te auto just slams the pedal and goes....

Everything Im reading says the SRT-4 dose 0-60 mph in 5.5 seconds..

A slow C5 dose 0-60 mph in 5.0.....Quick ones in 4.7..

How is this dor to door race gona be possible??????

ACHOTS......Hey Ive taken a Viper and a Supercharged Z06 before......

But I still no that if the person culd drive or got traction I would have been destroyed......

A viper is a second quicker than me like my car to your car.....I know my role.....

WHY CANT YOU GUYS NO YOURS....

Jus come look at our foroum for a second.....

Go to the C5 sction and then go to the performance results section...

Theres Daily first time track goers reporting what there bone stock C5 did it's first time out....

www.corvetteforoum.com

GreenGlowC5
11-16-2004, 02:18 AM
OOPS..Sorry..try this link instead...

www.CorvetteForum.com

dampachi
11-16-2004, 07:58 PM
SRT-4s are fast but not THAT fast..I've never been beat by a stock SRT-4. I've been beat by a stage 2 one, yes..but never a stock one. I beat a stock SRT-4 when I had two passengers in the car. I drive a stock 02 GT mustang. :)

darien99
11-17-2004, 12:37 AM
You're joking, right? A stock '02 GT Mustang runs 15.1, maybe a little faster with a MTX. Stock SRT4 consistantly run 14.3. Are you sure that SRT wasn't parked?

GreenGlowC5
11-17-2004, 12:42 PM
The guy in the mustang may have really beaten the guy in the SRT-4...

But it has nonthing to do with being faster.....

The guy in the SRT-4 could hav not known how to drive or blah blah blah...

Just like an SRT-4 could take a vette owner who just really couldnt drive...

The average guy at the track in an mustang Gt on a 60 degree night will pull a 14.7-14.9....

The car is capable of pulling 14.5-14.6 with an extremely good driver...

The average guy on a 60 degree night in an SRT-4 will pull a 14.1-14.3...

The car is capable of pulling a 13.9-14.0...

As you can EASILY see the SRT-4 IS a full half second quicke than a Mustng GT....

For some reason many Mustang GT owners thank there driving a Corvette or somthing when there car is actually a heavy car that dosent handle well and has a pretty weak V8.... ( only produces 260 HP )

Mustng GT's at the tack run mid to high 14's....

SRT-4's at the track run mid to low 14's....

The SRT-4 is the car I would want between the two...

But just like the SRT-4 will trounce an Mustang GT by half a second on average.........

The C5 Corvette will trounce the SRT-4 by a full second on average....

The SRT-4 will run mid to low 14's all night with the occassional one hitting a 13.9...

The C5 will run mid to low 13's all night with th ocassional one hitting 12.9..

dampachi
11-17-2004, 01:59 PM
I ran a 14.2@101mph stock. And, these were street light encounters from a stop. With my superior amount of torque..of course I can get off the line faster.

dampachi
11-17-2004, 02:03 PM
Oh...and to darien99...The only GT mustangs to run 15.1s are automatic convertibles. And unless the driver of the SRT-4 was stupid enough to park his car at a redlight on a busy highway after revving on me...then I'm sure it wasn't parked.

dampachi
11-19-2004, 01:23 PM
I guess you guys aren't going to post anymore. :( BUT I have one other thing to comment on..greenglowC5 says my mustangs 4.6 V8 is weak because it only produces 260hp and 300ft/lbs of torque..Yet...his mighty 5.7 V8 dyno'd at 299hp and 309ft/lbs. Though his numbers are to the wheels..let's just say I'd dyno somewhere around...230rwhp. Though I know it'd be more..this is for arguements sake. now. That would mean you make 69 more hp. With a whole 1.1 litre more of displacement, about 66 cubic inches...you're making 69hp more. So I wouldn't exactly say I have a 'weak' V8.

DanF
11-19-2004, 02:17 PM
I doubt that you ran a 14.2 stock... Better than a 15.1 is possible but I haven't seen any stock stangs do better than a high 14... But like greenglow said it comes down to driver you could have beaten an SRT-4 if the guy couldn't drive and you are a pretty good driver. But you are saying you beat a car that has around 1000 pounds on you... in terms of heavy cars, over 3000 pounds 100 pounds transfers to 1/10 faster on the 1/4 mile or roughly 10 hp, but with a car under I think it 2800 pounds its only 60 or so pounds that makes a 1/10 difference... so if you look at it that way, the SRT-4 makes up for the 30 horses and then some with the wieght difference.

Green Glow, I'm not doubting you, but I can't see how logically a car with 50 less horse power the same casic drivetrain and right around the same wight can pull the same times as a car with 50 more horses... It just doesn't seem right to me... but then again I'm not a vette guy either. I was just saying it was possible for an SRT-4 to beat a stock vette, if it was an auto... a manual unless the guy in the vette couldn't drive to save his life then no.

Sickened SRT-4
11-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Guys.......Lets be real......

I have read so may post of a supposedly stock SRT-4 beating a C5...

Stock SRT-4 vs Stock C5 it's a drivers race.

Do some more math before running your mouth.

SRT-4s are fast but not THAT fast..I've never been beat by a stock SRT-4. I've been beat by a stage 2 one, yes..but never a stock one. I beat a stock SRT-4 when I had two passengers in the car. I drive a stock 02 GT mustang. :)

NO WAY, I'm calling bullshit. I've wasted 01, 02 and 03 GT mustangs.

02 GT mustangs have LESS then 300 HP, and weight in at 3200 pounds.
Power to weight ratio dictates your running your mouth, or the SRT-4 wasn't racing you (or just can't drive).

SRT-4's ARE fast, in capable hands. Even faster with the right mods and tuning.

Right now I'm at 285 HP, and gaining. Mods: Stage 1, AGP WGA, Psi-Fi Power pack, 3" Downpipe w/ cat, 3" exhaust, water injection, intercooler sprayer, all in all less then $1500 in mods. Is it fast, YES. I'm running mid 12's WITH traction problems.

People that run their mouthes with little to no backing of facts ERK me.

dampachi
11-19-2004, 11:28 PM
Is it fast? Sounds like it. Is it stock? NO. Now shut the fuck up. If you're trying to 'call bullshit' because I say I beat an SRT-4 with a GT mustang you're a moron. I didn't say I beat an SRT-4 with a V6 mustang and a grand piano tied to my roof. I'm running my mouth? I don't know about that...but I do know that I am running a 14.2@101mph stock. That's what your average driver can pilot an SRT-4 to.

Drifty
11-20-2004, 08:45 AM
dampachi im sorry but i myself got recently an srt 4 and just started to learn how to launch and i was succesful in beating an 03 stang gt a 97 z-28 and of course a civic on a 4 lane street and i had harder luck pulling away from the z-28 with his flowmaster sounding exhaust than the stang which seemed stock. and the driver of the z-28 was some 40 year old guy who's a proffesor at my college, and he's a serious enthusiast. the stang was driven by some guy that seemed like he knew what he was doing and of course the civic is your average 17y/o guy with a big exaust

dampachi
11-20-2004, 03:19 PM
Well...I don't know what else to say. I've beat stock SRT-4s. If you live in MD, and have a stock SRT-4 and wanna race. Let me know.

Sickened SRT-4
11-20-2004, 03:43 PM
Is it fast? Sounds like it. Is it stock? NO. Now shut the fuck up. If you're trying to 'call bullshit' because I say I beat an SRT-4 with a GT mustang you're a moron. I didn't say I beat an SRT-4 with a V6 mustang and a grand piano tied to my roof. I'm running my mouth? I don't know about that...but I do know that I am running a 14.2@101mph stock. That's what your average driver can pilot an SRT-4 to.

I'm calling BULLSHIT, for the simple reason a stock GT mustang, with the HP and weight, just can't do that. If you've run sub 14.5 lets see time slips.

An average SRT-4 driver still pulls 14.0 - 13.8 Which is true. A piss poor srt-4 driver is above 14. So my fact still stands. He wasn't racing you.

dampachi
11-20-2004, 05:25 PM
Okay, okay. First of all. Yes. He was racing me. He revved on me and initiated the race. Second of all...the 2004 SRT-4s 0-60 is 5.8 seconds. Whereas a Mustang accelerates from 0-60 in 5.5 seconds. Hm..looks like thats three tenths faster. And we were on the streets..racing to about...60mph. Maybe a little more. and I won.

Sickened SRT-4
11-20-2004, 07:39 PM
I'd be thinking along the lines of he jsut couldnt drive. I've gotten my 0-60 down to 5.5 when my car was stock. I'm really ashamed of the "book" numbers our cars run. Since most people that wrote them are fully capapble drivers. I don't see how they turned such horrible times.

GreenGlowC5
11-20-2004, 11:56 PM
Sickened SRT-4.....

You seem like you have some knowledge but cursing or being rude is not the way to show it....

Im not trying to hate on your ride.. A mans ride is a very personal thing..

BUT...Saying a stock SRT-4 vrs a stock C5 is a drivers race is like saying a stock C5 vrs a 02 Viper is a drivers race...

Thats just not the way it is.....

The average SRT-1 will pull around a 14.0-14.2with a good driver in good weather....

There are some strong ones that can hit a high 13 but this is not the norm....

Vettes run 13.0-13.2 in good weather with a good driver and the ocassional strong one can hit a high 12...

Saying thats a drivers race is like saying that a C5 that runs 13.1 is a drivers race against a 02 Viper that runs 12.1...

Theres a HUGE advantage there for the Viper just like theres a huge advantage there for the C5....

Theres an Echolon that you just HAVE to go buy...

SRT-4...Capable of high 13's....

C5 corvette......Capable of High 12's.....

03 Viper.......Capable of high 11's.....

Sure an SRT-4 can take a C5...

Or an C5 can take a Viper.....

ACHOTS.......

But it will only happen 5% of the time..

The other 95% of the time the car that is a second quicker in the1/4 mile will win....

Like Ive posted many times...

My car is a slow one do to being an automatic with the numerically lowest gear ( 2.73) and racing at an 85 degree track here in Hawaii..

Ive still turned a 13.5 BONE STOCK almost every time Ive went to the track....

At a 60 degree track in the mainland Id be around 13.3....

But I wont even go there...Ill just use my weak 13.5......

A 13.5 is still enough to beat even the best drivers in the strongest STOCK SRT-4's at the best tracks in the USA on the best density Altitude nights by a solid 2-3 tenths.....

I can give your car every advantage in the world and you still wont be able to match the performance of my bone stock 2.73 geared automatic C5 driven at a 85 degree track in Hawaii by a normal driver..

Thats the point Im trying to make...

Is your car quicker than a MUSTANG GT....Yes..Normally by a half second..

Is your car quicker than an 350Z.....Yes..Normally by 3 tenths..

Is your car quicker than a S2000...Yes...Normally by 2 tenths....

IS YOUR CAR QUICKER THAN A C5..NO...NORMALLY BY 9 TENTHS..

For some rason you guys are so qick to aknowledge tha your car can smoke an Mustang or 350Z or s2000...

Even though there all within a half second or more of your performance...

But when a car can beat you ( by quite a considerable margin) you put up every excuse to why your car could hang in there and it's a drivers race....

You compare your best time ever posted in a mag...The 13.8....To every thing....

OK...Im gonna use the best time ever posted in a mag nd say that all Vets run 12.6....

Thats Bull Crap.....But it was done by professional drivers...

How ever ...Every other mg post any where from 12.9-13.3....

Just like most mags post a 14.0-14.3 for your car..But you still insist that every SRT-4 is capable of 13.8????

It's just a simple power to weight formala that we all have to live with..

C5's dyno around 300 rwhp at the wheels.....

And they only weigh 3250 pounds on average.....

What dose your car dyno and what dose it weigh.....

EXAMPLE......Mustang Cobras dyno around 365 at the wheels but weigh 3650 pounds on average...

Due to the added weight....The Cobra will run a very similar 1/4 mile to the C5 Corvette...despite having 65 more rwhp....\

GreenGlowC5
11-21-2004, 04:44 AM
I just got back from the track...I was hoping for a 13.4 but ended up having a really crappy night....

I ran betwee 13.7 and 13.9 all night!!!!! My 60 fts were from 2.167-2.4 all night....Pretty bad...Decent for a stock C5 is 2.0-2.1

Im usualy btween 13.5-13.7 all night....

Im hoping that nonthing was wrong and it was eighter badd air or the fact that I ran with 3/4's of a tank of gas vrs my normal 1/4 tank....

I was only trapping 101 mph......

Im normally 102-103 with 2 runs in the 104 range....

TONIGHT JUST SUCKED SO BADD.....

except for one thing......

1) even though I was running 2 tenths slower than usual..I still won every race out of 7 tips through the 1/4..

2) There were these two SRT-4's there....

They had been racing all night...

One of them goes and talks to the other one and then he comes over to me and ask e if I want to run...

Ive got to say that I was honestly intimidated...

You know how you feel on those nights when your cars running like crap...

You defiently dont wanna race someone....

And I was thinking about how it would suck even more if one of your SRT-4's would take me out after Ive been writing all this stuff...

So I talk to the guy and he says his is a 2004 and he has a few mods but runs high 14's.....

SO I DONT SAY ANYTHING BUT I THINK TO MY SELF...

THIS GUY TRYING TO SET ME UP...I SAW HIM TALK TO HIS BUDDY BEFORE HE CAME OVER TO ME...

STOCK ONES AT THIS TRACK RUN MID 14'S WITH GOOD DRIVERS..BUT HIS LIGHTLY MODDED ONE RUNS HIGH 14'S..

BULL CRAP!!!!!!

So we line up and go for it...

I pull a weak 13.7 and he runs a 14.7..

HE WASNT LYING!!!!!!!

We raced a few more times and I beat him by a second each time..

I raced his friend who had an exhaust and the out come was the same...

Im assuming that the weather effected there cars the same way it affected mine...

13.7-13.9 is really slow for my car...And Im sure that 14.6-14.8 is also very slow for a SRT-4 with a cat back....

But it still just goes to show that it is not a drivers race...

I destroyed those cars....1 second at the track is a pretty big deal...

BUT I CAN SEE HOW ON THE INTERSTATE YOU'D THINK THAT YOUR STOCK srt-4 HANGED WITH A vETTE..

10 CAR LENGTHS ON THE STREET DOSENT SEEM LIKE YOUR LOOSING BY THAT BAD WHEN YOUR DOING 100 PLUS MPH...

dampachi
11-21-2004, 02:19 PM
"Is your car quicker than a MUSTANG GT....Yes..Normally by a half second..

Is your car quicker than an 350Z.....Yes..Normally by 3 tenths..

Is your car quicker than a S2000...Yes...Normally by 2 tenths...."

That's interesting that you came up with those figures seeing as how all three of those cars will run very similar, if not the same 1/4 mile times.

GreenGlowC5
11-21-2004, 07:43 PM
Dmpachi...

Im sorry that you feel left out in this speed war..

If you had th Cobra id be saying how your car is typically a tenth faster than my car across the country....

But you dont have the 390 HP Cobra....

Or even th 300 ish Hp Mach 1...

Or even th 05 mustang with 300 Hp...

You have the base model V8......

Your car has 260 HP but is consideably heavy....

Especialy when compared to my 3250 pound Corvetteor an SRT-4...

As posted a few times now...Your car will run a 14.5-14.9 with a normal driver....

Ths is not slow by any means......

If I wa gonna build th engine Id rather have the Mustang GT than the SRT-4..

If I was gonna leave it stock Id rather have the SRT-4....

You have claimed that your car ( at a drag strip) ran a 14.2 BONE STOCK.....

This is probaly very close to being a record but it is possible that your a great driver with a very strong car and went to the track on pefect day and had a strong gust of wind behind you.....

But what Im talking about is not my car vrs your car or vrs Sickened SRT-4's car....

Im talking about the norml C5 that runs 13.2 and the normal SRT-4 that runs 14.1 an the normal Mustang that runs 14.6..

All stick versions of course....

IF YOU DONT BELEAVE THAT PEOPLE ONLY RUN MD TO HIGH 14'S IN MUSTANGS..GO TO YOUR OWN MUSTANG GT BOARD AND READ UP...

YOU'LL BE SURPRISED HOW MANY PEOPLE ARE STILL IN THE LOW 15'S...

260 HP Just isnt a big dal any more on a car with 3500 pounds of weight..

These days you can buy altimas that have 260 HP...

I know you probaly grew up like I did and thought Mustangs where just awesome.....

And they are....Just not the base V8.....

But if you think of it from a $$$$ view point the Mustng GT is awesome...

26,000 for a car capable of running mid 14's.....Very agressive looking.....Nice sounding V8........Great History.......great after market.....

In the Neon you get even beter performance...But it's a 20,000 car with no history AND IT'S STILL A NEON.....

But the SRT-4 is making a name for it's self....

Half the time I forget it's a neon.....

dampachi
11-21-2004, 08:26 PM
Mustangs weigh about 3200 pounds. Okay, you seem to love quoting my 'weak' horsepower rating...but what about my 300ft/lbs of torque? I guess torque doesn't really matter huh? Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races.

DanF
11-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Dude it doesn't matter how much torque you have, the car still only runs a high 14 normally and maybe a mid 14 with a good driver. It has been proven, I will goto the track and see stock stangs throw down high 14's all night, but you come around claiming your car is faster stock for stock than a car that is allot lighter and doesn't have that much less horse power, which in a 1/4th mile is more important than torque in most cases. It comes down to power to wieght ratio, the SRT is much less than 3000 pound where as your car is over it. I was under the impression your car wieghed in at at least 3400 but even if it doesn't the SRT does have 300+ pounds on you and thats more than enough to make up for 30 horses. I find it nearly impossible for a stock GT to run a 14.2 stock. When I had my Turbo Coupe I used to destroy stock GT's my car was not stock by any means, but I mean even the closest races weren't that close. I only raced an SRT-4 once and it was closer than the mustangs were able to pull, granted it probabaly wasn't my best run but it was much closer than any of the stangs ever pulled on me. Just face it dude, your car just isn't that fast.

Green, I'm not trying to hate on vettes at all, they started the whole muscle car era, but I'm sorry I just can't believe your facts at all. I will look it up more on my own, I beat auto vettes with my Turbo Coupe and was able to run door to door with a manual until maybe 100 miles per hour when the vette would start to pull on me just because of aerodynamics. I mean Vettes are fast, hell my nieghbor a while back had a lingenfelter and thats about as fast as the Nova in my garage which for a stock car is amazing. Vettes have my respect but I think your blowing thier capabilities out a proportion.

GreenGlowC5
11-22-2004, 01:24 PM
DANF...

Yea just go do some reading...

Thats what I always do before I state my opinion....

You can allways go to www.corvetteforum.com and read what people run bone stock....

You'll be surprised how many are in the 12.9-13.2 range....

My car is slower than most with a best of only 13.5 bone stock....

Once again....You'll always be faster on a 60 degree track in the mainland than an 80-100 degree track in Hawaii...Florida or Texas...

Weather plays a huge role in performance......So dose elevation...

And then of course so dose the driver.....

Thats why computer racing just isnt good....

One guy can have a Ferrari in canada and race at an elevation of 4000 feet and not be a great driver...

Another guy in an SRT-4 can race at an elevation of 0 feet ( sea level) and be a great driver..

The guy in the Ferrari might pull a best of 13.9 and the guy in the SRT-4 might pull a 13.8...

Dose that mean the SRT-4 is faster...NO WAYYYYY...

If they both raced at the same exact track the ferrari would be a good second and a half quicker than the SRT-4 with equal drivers....

So the best way to really evaluate stock performance is to just go by the magazines....

Take Motor Trend for example......

They test nearly every car they get in the 1/4 mile...

They go to the same track every time with the same driver every time..

So that takes track differences (ie... sticky track..Elevation) all out of the picture.....

So ...so far you have the same drivers at the same track testing all these different cars...

Thats pretty fair...

Then to make it even better..They take the different weather out of the picture too...

Say they tracked an SRT-4 at their track in June when it was 85 degrees out...

But then tracked a Corvette in december when it was 60 degrees out...

THAT wouldnt be fair would it????

Every 10 degrees is roughly a tenth...

The Corvette ran in a 20 degree lower teperture than the SRT-4..

That would give the Corvette a 2 tenth advantage...

NOT FAIR....

So what they do is the CORRECTION FACTOR.....

They use a weather calculation system to show what the SRT-4 WOULD have ran if the Temp had been 60 degrees with a Density altitude of 0...

Basicly thy convert what ever time the car pulled to the time it would have pulled on the PERFECT racing night...

Thats why you very rarely see people pull the times that the magazines pull...

You'd have to eighter...Been lucky and go a factory freak ( a car that for no known reason dynos 10-15 rwhp higher than all the othr stock cars from the factory)...

Or practice your butt off....

Those guys are professonals...you have to get your tchnique to match theres...

Then...On top of that you have to get your technique to match thres on a night that is close to the PERFECT night that they used the CORRECTION FACTOR to convert there times too...

The Perfect nights are rare...But they do come some times...

A person who has really practiced hard with there car can some times even do better than what the magazine has posted....

They not only matched the performance of the professional driver...But slightly exceede his skill after there numerous times through the quarter mile.....And they did this on a perfect night....

WALAH..You got a guy in an SRT-4 that claims he pulled a 13.9 bone stock...

Could any one do this....NO WAYY...

- he was a superb driver ( better than professionals)

-He went out on a perfect night ( 60 degrees with DA of 0)

-his track was extremely well prepped ( very unusual..unless a private rental...launch area gets destroyed pretty quickly)

The average guy will pull a 14.0 at best...Some will hit 13.9

Motor trend pulled a 14.0 at 102.7

I beleave Car and Driver pulled the Famous 13.8 that every one quotes...

In retrospect....Car and driver pulled a 13.3 in the C5

Car and driver pulled a 13.0 I beleave....

If you look in the September 04 issue of Motor trend ( the one with the yellow C6 on the cover) you'll see that they compared the C6 to the C5 and Z06....

The C5 -0-60 mph in 4.8...1/4 mile in 13.3... skid pad 0.91...top speed 175 mph

The C6-0-60 mph in 4.3...1/4 mie in 12.7...skid pad 0.95...top speed 186 mph

he Z06-0-60 mph in 4.1...1/4 mile in 12.4...skid pad 1.00...top speed 172 mph

As you can see the C5 is 6 tenths slower than the C6 and 9 tenths slower than the Z06...

But with a 0-60 time of 4.8 and a 1/4 mile of 13.3 it's still an heck of a performer....

13.3 just like 14.0 is about what an average goy can do in a SRT-4 or C5 on a good day with a great driver...

The 13.0 and 13.8 posted in Car and driver is possible but very unlikely...

the guys we have pulling 12.9-13.1 in our stock C5's only do it once or twice after a lot of practice...

13.3 how ever isnt a big deal....

NOW to the why is the C6 only running 12.9-13.2 at the track when I see them question..

The C6 has proven to be very dificult to launch do to a bogging problem off the line...

the computer is telling th engine to quit during launch...

The C6 auto dosent seem to have this problem and there are some on our board running 12.7...

But the MN6 c6 has this problem and it is killing the performance..

The C5 is much easier to get the full potential from and thats why yo'll see lots of people running low 13's in there C5 and hanging right besidethe C6 through the 1/4 mile...

If the guy in the C5 has a good run of 13.2...

But the guy in the C6 cant do any better tan a 13.0 do to his pcm...

it would appear that the cars are very close performce wise....

But if you had the same to cars race to 100 mph from a 30 mph roll the C5 would get it's feelings hurt....

dampachi
11-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Well, once again I'm just going to say... SRT-4s 0-60, 5.8 seconds. Mustangs 0-60, 5.5 seconds. So tell me...which would accerlate to 60mph quicker? So who would 'win' on the street? There you go.

GreenGlowC5
11-22-2004, 03:40 PM
Dmpachi....

I apologize to you....

The Mustang GT is a better performer than I realized...

I did a search on your car and found that it has 260 HP and 302 tourque..

The HP still isnt impressive considering we both have V8's......And I have 90 more Hp than you...

But your tourque on the other hand is strong.....302 is very good....

The Corvette has 375 feet of tourque...

I also found out that your car weighs in between 3270 and 3320...

Or roughly 3300 pounds....

The Corvette weighs in between 3220 and 3245.....Or roughly 3250 pounds...

I found two different 1/4 mile sources for your car...

the first was done by Modern Racer,,,

0-60 mph in 6.1...1/4 mile in 14.2

The second was done by Motor Trend in 99...

0-60 mph in 5.4...1/4 mile in 14.0...

your 1/4 mile according to Motor trend is exactly the same as the 1/4 mile they gave the SRT-4....

sO ONCE AGAIN..

CAN YOUR CAR BEAT A MUSTANG GT???? YES/NO.....DRIVES RACE..

DANF....

I went and did some more esearch on the corvette...

It is very possible that C5's you have seen run at the track or heard of running times at the track or that some one hanged with in there SRT-4 are the 97-2000 model....

The 97-2000 model C5 corvette looks EXACTLY like the 2001-2004 Corvette...

There ia slight differance though...

The 97-2000 C5 had a different cam, intake manifold and some other minor engine changes than the 2001-2004 corvette...

The 97-2000 corvette is rated at 345 HP and 350 Touque...It runs 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 13.3-13.6 seconds depending on wich magazine you read....

The auto matic version dose 0-60 mph in 5.0 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 13.4-13.7 seconds depending on wich magazine you read....

So a great driver in a strong SRT-4 that rus 13.9 could have a door to door race with a guy in an pre 2001 Corvette that has an automatic...

Especialy if te C5 is close to the 13.7 range..

If the guy cant drive that great he will easily be in the high 13 range...

And within stabbing distance of an SRT-4....

If i's a 2001 and up Corvette with the diffent cam and Z06 intake that came standard on all Corvettes in 2001...

The car has 350 Hp and 375 feet of tourque....(360 feet of tourque for the automatic version)

Even the slow poke automatic thats a 2001 and up will turn a 13.2-13.5 in the1/4 and eat a SRT-4..

No door to door racing there...

dampachi
11-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Yep, see...14.2s are very possible with stock mustang GTs.

DanF
11-22-2004, 11:44 PM
The vette was a 98, at least I think it was a 98, so that would explain it.

I was never dissin' vettes or doubting thier abilities just siting what I had seen personally. Same with the GT stangs.

The GT's are quick cars, don't get me wrong. But I'm just kinda tired of people with these cars thinking thier the fastest on the street. They really are good performers, but then again there is allot on the streets that are faster or just as fast. The SRT-4 being a good example. And a newer SS Camaro or WS6 Tran-am being at the top, for not too and extreme jump in price.

I'm just saying its possible for an SRT-4 to beat both of the cars, I never said all the time I said it was possible for the vette with an auto and maybe the bad gearset 6 speed, at least in the older ones, because I did not know they changed cams/intakes and what have you. But personally I have still never seen a GT stang pull a better than a mid 14 stock. Perhaps it was just a horrible driver... but still.

NEON-J-ROC
11-30-2004, 01:14 AM
I don't know what all this whining is about what can beat what, the only way to solve this dispute is on the track, some drivers don't do their cars justice, maybe an srt 4 shouldn;t beat a vette, but it does happen, but whether it does or not, its a kick ass car for the price. Its a 4 banger competing with v8's thats pretty cool if you ask me.

dampachi
11-30-2004, 08:44 PM
It's a turbocharged four banger competing with N/A V8s. You make it sound like it's more than it is.

NEON-J-ROC
12-01-2004, 05:04 AM
It's a turbocharged four banger competing with N/A V8s. You make it sound like it's more than it is.

Nice to see you actually know a thing or 2 about cars, but the srt 4 still kicks ass for a turbo charged 4 banger priced around 20 000 $$$, I'm not trying to make it sound like a rocket ship, I'm simply stating my oppinion, no need to be a F**kin smart ass!!!!!!!!!

dampachi
12-01-2004, 08:06 PM
It sure is.

Cobra01TT
12-01-2004, 08:17 PM
OK, I don't want to get in a big argument here. I just want to put my point of view in.

I have gotten beat by a SRT-4. Only one.
It was at the track, and he was running low 13's on DR's.

On the street however I have raced 4 and never lost.
My car weighs 3614 lbs on the track scale. Ran a 14.791@94.91 mph. The track is around 6000 ft. I can't launch on the track, bad wheelhop. I had Nitto 555's (not drag radials).

They should do better vs. me here in colorado due to lack of air, ie they got forced induction.

So yes, they are a great deal for the money, but no supercar.

TEXSRT4
12-02-2004, 06:05 PM
your kidding right? 14.2! every srt i know, and i know dozens of them. cut 14.0 or quicker at the track! i myself cut a 13.8 1/4 stock. and dont try and pull anything here. 300hp hahahahahahaha. i use to be the sevice manager at one of the best speed shops in the state of california. 2001 mustang GT with headers and exhuast pulled a wopping 208 hp and 215 ft/lbs of torque on our dynopack dyno! and you need to watch out. just because your mustang makes more power (and that is questionable, srt4's dyno 230hp 240lb.ft torque stock) the mustang weighs a lot more. heck a diesel semi makes more than 3000lb/ft of torque, but even a honda can beat them off the line. accelaration is power/weight ratio

and yes, stock for stock, a corvette will beat an srt4. i hope so. the srt is a $20,000 4 door sedan. the vette is more than 2x the cost, and way more than 2 times the motor. but its not that much faster.

NEON-J-ROC
12-02-2004, 07:16 PM
I agree with you man, nice stand, long live mopar performance, :grinyes:

TEXSRT4
12-02-2004, 07:25 PM
its not that im opposed to vette's. in fact i love them. worked on dozens of them. everything from ZR1's to callaways, twin turbo'd c5 or supercharged. even helped my buddy rebuild his 73 (i think it was a 73). i love them, but i needed a car that can hold people. the srt4 with its instant power delievery won me over. the car is great, true it isnt a "sports car" but it does play. with my few suspension mods, the car does suprisingly well on the autocross track, as well as the drag strip.

now on to mustangs. hahaha. never liked them. worked on everything from my buddies 64.5, my friends 1999 saleen, all the way up to 2004 models. done motors, superchargers, rearends, suspension, nitrous, you name it i have done it. i have worked on GT350's GT500's (even a convertable) BOSS 429 (rare, and by far my favorite, but not all that powerful, that hemi style engine was cool), Mach 1's (both new and old), and many others. they just never did anything for me, except for the 2003-2004 cobra's. those do it for me!

TEXSRT4
12-02-2004, 07:29 PM
mustangs just dont make the power that they should (again except for the 2002 and up cobra's) and those that can cant really plant it! much like a cat trying to run accross a glass floor. just all over the place. now i know there are some serious mustangs out there, and i recognise that there are a lot of cool ones, good buddy of mine has a serious saleen stang, another one has a pretty wicked 5.0. but for the most part, they are over weight and underpowered.

it comes down to the fact that with the right amount of money, any car can be fast. heck i know a guy stuffing a v10 dodge motor in a 75 pacer!

Talon69
12-03-2004, 05:49 PM
You got to be joking here!!!!!!! I believe the srt 4 will beat your vette and second of all the mustangs are slow ass junks!!!! i was at the track every week for 3 months and i have seen alot of shit run and the mustangs always run 14.5 or higher without heavy mods. I have seen a few stock srt 4 run and they were running between 14.2 and 14.4. i mean damn my talon with stock T25 and $120 in mods i ran a 13.72 in a 1/4, since then i have put the big 16g in and a few other things. i have slips up on eclipse forum if ya dont believe me, also have video. anyways the srt 4 is a good car im not nocking it and my AWD will eat your little vette and mustag up. Cuz now i have even more mods done but track closed now so i have no clue what i will run

TEXSRT4
12-03-2004, 05:54 PM
i dont know where you guys are racing at, but those times are aweful. i have seen dozens of stock srt's in the high 13's. also remember guys, the car makes 240+lb/ft of torque at 2500rpm, launched through a fwd chasis, and put down with 205/50/17 tires. those are super thin, wider tires alone make the car a mid 13 car no problem! add on intake, exhaust, simple computer upgrade, and a decent driver, and your in the 12's. simple math = power/weight ratio

dampachi
12-07-2004, 02:59 PM
Stock GTs will win on the street stock SRT-4s will win on the track.

TEXSRT4
12-07-2004, 05:09 PM
please define what you mean by win on the street.

just as a side note all the srt requires is a little wider tire than stock to drop your 0-60 time significantly!

Seansurfn98gsr
12-08-2004, 09:53 PM

u drive a 2002 stock gt and beat our cars stock um no man your cars power-weight ratio to ours makes it sounds like that srt4 driver cant drive cause i beat ur cars ALL THE TIME over and over and over and over again freeway and in quarter mile but i can drive GOOD

dampachi
12-09-2004, 06:14 PM
I'll definitely go with the guys I beat can't drive. That's most likely the case. And by 'on the street' I mean a 0-60 type race...not an all out drag race..in which case a stock SRT-4 will win. Well...wider tires wouldn't be stock. I agree the GT mustang isn't the fastest or greatest stock car out there..but I never intended on staying stock for long anyway. :)

TEXSRT4
12-09-2004, 08:16 PM
agreed, wider tires arnt stock, i was just stating a fact. now i dont know where magazine writers learned to drive a car. or how to launch, but i too was able to get my 0-60 times to 5.5 easy. i was also a 13.8 stock car. from the first time i ran the car against a GT stang (after my breakin of course) i was running them down from the hole, and beating them almost all the time. the occasional event i didnt win, was because they were modded! never lost to a stock stang when i was stock, GT stang that is - Cobra's are bad*ss cars!!!!!!!! now that im modded, a GT cant even get my attention. heck even the mach 1's are too slow to play with, but they are getting closer

dampachi
12-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Mach 1s too slow? So I guess you destroy SS camaros and ram air trans ams all the time? What kind of mods do you have?

TEXSRT4
12-09-2004, 09:54 PM
i do play with them. putting down more than 275 hp and lb/ft of torque.

intake, exhuast, stage 1 and boost controller at 16psi.

TEXSRT4
12-09-2004, 10:15 PM
plus a top notch suspension set up and inch wider tires than stock! all of that together makes my car get up and move fairly quickly. still lites them up in 3rd if your not careful

so the car not only runs pretty fast in a straight line, but does pretty well in the twisties or on the autocross track. its a fun car, but i do with it was AWD or atleast RWD.

dampachi
12-10-2004, 03:02 PM
damn. whats your 1/4?

TEXSRT4
12-10-2004, 08:46 PM
with a good launch i will run mid 12's

TEXSRT4
12-10-2004, 08:48 PM
thats on street tires, with slicks i should be low 12's. from a 30mph roll or so, i will hang with Z06 vettes no prob. front wheel cars cant launch worth anything. but once im moving the car runs like nothing else

dampachi
12-11-2004, 12:30 PM
You against a slightly modded LS1 trans am/camaro would be a really good race.

JCCR
12-11-2004, 12:57 PM
the srt4 are damn fast for the money! i had a chance to race one. i dont know if he had any upgrades but i took him. 1st and 2nd we were almost dead even and when my 3rd gear came around i started to pulley away.

i also race a '99 LS1 camaro. he has down pipes, mass flow air sensor, exhaust, throtle body spacers, wider tires, and something else, he wouldnt tell me. i was stock and he took me by a car length.

dampachi
12-11-2004, 04:56 PM
JCCR, and you have what exactly?

JCCR
12-11-2004, 07:13 PM
300zxtt

JCCR
12-11-2004, 07:15 PM
1996 300zxtt! its pretty fast and heavy to. but it makes plenty of power to carry it weight

dampachi
12-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Stock LS1 anythings usually beat me buy atleast a car length..and I've raced a 300zx twin turbo a few times..once I won by about half a car..second time we ran dead even..third time I had something infront of me so I wasn't flooring it...so of course he pulled away.

CRX-Crooks
12-13-2004, 11:35 PM
My niehbor hood has hella srt-4 and i have to stay there fu***g fast. The fastest fwd car in production for under 20gs. street and strip. my friends srt-4 runs high 12s with intake, exhaust, ecu upgrade, turbo timer and boost. just admit it were all haveing trouble keeping up wit them and were screwd when the srt-6 comes out.

Add your comment to this topic!