Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Whats the coolest Exotic Car ever

Pages : [1] 2

Roadster2
02-23-2002, 07:39 PM
it can be then now or future but i dont care it is still the Shelby Cobra 427 S/C whether it be the old or the Kit Cars it is still the best

http://www.fordfans1.homestead.com/FORDFAN1.html

NISSANSPDR
02-24-2002, 02:28 AM
Ferrari F40

2.9 Liter V8 TT
5 Spd Manual ; Mid engine RWD
Curb weight 2420 lbs.
478HP ; 425lbs of Torque
0-60mph in 3.8 seconds
Quarter mile in 11.8 seconds (stock)
0.94g (lateral acceleration)
Front:235/45ZR17 Rear: 335/35ZR17

http://www.afn.org/~afn47047/cars/images/f-40b.jpg

crayzayjay
02-25-2002, 02:55 PM
I couldnt possibly choose between the following:

McLaren F1
Porsche 959
Porsche GT1
Porsche 993 GT2
Porsche 996 GT3
Ferrari F40
Ferrari F355
Lamborghini Diablo (any bar roadster)
Mercedes-Benz CLK-GTR
Bugatti EB-110

the list is endless..

cheers,
jay

RSScamaro
02-25-2002, 09:30 PM
McLaren F1 without a doubt !

TatII
02-25-2002, 09:43 PM
its a though one. its either the F40 or hte mclaren F1

MBTN
02-25-2002, 09:54 PM
The F40 is 3.0 liters...:mad: Anyway, I love the F40, my favorite car. :) But, I can't help but mention the Lamborghini Countach. The super-car legend. Other notables are the Diablo and Testarossa.

Morpheus XIII
02-25-2002, 10:46 PM
Bugatti Veyron EB16-4--Just too damn weird to pass up. Plus, the most exotic cars are the ones that the mass majority of the public can't identify or recognize. The 1001 hp W16 16-cylinder quad-turbo engine with 7-speed sequential double-clutch transmission to all four-wheels doesn't hurt either.

Update: First finalized top speed: 252 mph, wheelbase now up to 106", automatically extending rear spoiler added.

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/09_01/bugatti/01.jpg

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/09_01/bugatti/02.jpg

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/09_01/bugatti/03.jpg

http://www.vwvortex.com/news/09_01/bugatti/05.jpg

The Ford GT90 is a close second for me.

crayzayjay
02-25-2002, 10:47 PM
hmm.. i dunno.. the Testarossa isnt very "cool" in my eyes, i can think of 10 Ferrari's above it for me

as always: to each his own :)

cheers,
jay

crayzayjay
02-25-2002, 10:49 PM
That Bugatti is something else, it must be admitted. Im not sure what to make of it, it sort of looks like an insect in some weird way.. i like the back though, and the interior.. and 1001bhp :D :D

cheers,
jay

Mugen_Power
02-25-2002, 11:34 PM
:flipa: Gotta long List :flipa:

1.Porsche Carrera GT
2.Ferrari F50
3.Lamborghini Diablo
4.Mclaren F1
5.Buggati EB110 GT
6.Jaguar XJ220
7.Noble M12
The best of course is the : Pagani Zonda C12S

(Pay no attention to the numbering it doesn't mean anything)

Mugen_Power
02-25-2002, 11:40 PM
:flipa: Gotta long List :flipa:

1.Porsche Carrera GT
2.Ferrari F50
3.Lamborghini Diablo
4.Mclaren F1
5.Buggati EB110 GT
6.Jaguar XJ220
7.Noble M12
The best of course is the : Pagani Zonda C12S

(Pay no attention to the numbering it doesn't mean anything)

NISSANSPDR
02-26-2002, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by MBTN
The F40 is 3.0 liters...:mad: .

2936 cc = 2.9 Liters

http://www.fast-autos.net/ferrari/f40info.html

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/lancia/58/classic/ferrari3.htm

http://home.swipnet.se/~w-66830/ferrari/ferrari2.htm

http://www.planetfastcars.com/cars/show_car.php3?car=ferrari_f40

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8377/ferrari.html

:angryfire I hate to be told I am wrong...:angryfire

MBTN
02-26-2002, 02:51 PM
Hmpph. Perhaps I have been betrayed by my sources! :eek: :bloated: I guess you win... I've always read 3.0 liters in books and stuff though.:licker:

Morpheus XIII
02-26-2002, 07:39 PM
Eh, 0.1 L isn't a huge difference.

MBTN
02-26-2002, 09:17 PM
Sure it is!:D

Tom_S8
02-28-2002, 03:01 PM
For me it's between porsche 959 and ferrari F40 for the 1st place
Then again between Eb110 and McLaren F1 for the second
I love the Diablo GT and SE 30 too... Somehow i can't like any of the todays supercars somehow , i don't know but the only one that is actually acceptable is the Zonda S... But i don't like the engine , it doesn't suit a supercar good , a MB engine , it's too "calm" IMO... Also Cadillac Cien and Bugatti Veyrons are extremely powerful but i somehow don't like them either... As for the Lamborghini Murcielago it's nice , but i really like Diablo more... I don't know , but it is just the way it is...

hermunn123
02-28-2002, 08:23 PM
easy, the McLaren F1. only 64 examples were made. there are fewer than that now. it has 3 seats, driver's seat in the middle. 6.1 Liter V-12 with 627 hp. 0-60=3.2 seconds. 0-100=6.6 seconds. top speed=240.14 mph. the fastest production car in the world. (the bugatti has not been tested yet.) there's so many things that make this car better than the rest. the bugatti, IMO, is nowhere near a car like the F1. it may have 987 hp(1001 hp is a weird European scale), and may have a higher top speed(by how much we don't know yet), but it would get raped on a track. the F1 is just an awesome car. oh yeah, in its first year at Le Mans it won 1, 3, 4, 5, and 13. 4 positions out of the top 5! sexy! there's a lot more i could blab about, but i think you get the point.

Morpheus, where did you hear the the Bugatti did 252 mph? that is just an estimate, it's not real.

Morpheus XIII
03-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Correction:

You're right, I misread my facts--the 252 mph is a performance figure released by the VAG, not yet a statistic, to be determined in the near future. I say again, whoops. :D

Personally, I'd hate to have this thing for a track race. It would be like navigating a rocket powered aircraft carrier around with its amazing bulk. But in my eyes, "exotic" means just that: adj.: 2. a. Of or pertaining to, or characteristic of a foreigner, or what is foreign (now rare); hence b. Outlandish, barbarous, strange, uncouth. Also, having the attraction of the strange or foreign, glamorous. (taken from the Oxford English Dictionary).

Basically the weirdest yet most inspiring car should be classified as an exotic. The McLaren is only one of the two, as it really is not weird enough (and that's a good thing). If this thread had the word 'supercar' rather than 'exotic car', I'd have to rethink my decisions. But as it stands, few other automobiles has all this. If all's the world's cars had that traditional McLaren F1 appeal, then the automobile industry would be pretty damn boring. It's refreshing to have something like this to spicen up the upper rankings in the industry.

crayzayjay
03-01-2002, 03:17 PM
hermunn123>
i was pretty sure 100 McLaren's were built. where did you get 64?

also, how can you say the F1 would rape the Bugatti on a track? what do you know about the bugatti to say that? you cant say stuff like that cos its basically a load of cr*p, youre just saying "no, the bugatti wont beat the F1 cos the F1 is so awesome" when you know very little about the Bugatti. as you said in your post, and i quote:the bugatti has not been tested yet
Q:so what do you know?
A: nothing

I rest my case

NISSANSPDR
03-01-2002, 09:14 PM
I dont find the McLaren that fun though...yeah it could kick the snot out of any car on the street but...there are cars for less that can do that...you dont need to shell out $1M to do that...I mean look at the:

Porsche Carrera GT (Price tag $350K-$400K)
V10 5.5L
558HP/442lbs of TQ
6 spd manual
2752 lbs
8 Piston Calipers on 15 inch ROTORS all around...
and a top speed of 205 mph

That could kick some major butt in almost any town...stock vs stock...you arent going to find many other stock cars that can beat it...and you dont need to spend all that extra money ($600K) for those extra 27 mph on the top speed

McLaren : not the coolest of them all...just b/c it can do 232mph

Porsche
03-01-2002, 09:43 PM
crazyjay, Hermunn123 is quite right, they built 64 Mclaren cars for the road, the others were race models and aren't 100% supercars, they are really modified race cars to go even faster.

hermunn123
03-01-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by crayzayjay
hermunn123>
i was pretty sure 100 McLaren's were built. where did you get 64?

also, how can you say the F1 would rape the Bugatti on a track? what do you know about the bugatti to say that? you cant say stuff like that cos its basically a load of cr*p, youre just saying "no, the bugatti wont beat the F1 cos the F1 is so awesome" when you know very little about the Bugatti. as you said in your post, and i quote:
Q:so what do you know?
A: nothing

I rest my case

woah, calm down buddy.

first off, there were 64 McLaren F1's made. there were 3 F1 LM's made. there were 5 F1 GT's made. the rest were GTR's, the racing F1. trust me, i know my McLaren's.

and second, about the bugatti it seems that i know more about the bugatti than you do. the 16/4 has 987 horsepower, not 1001 hp. the 1001 hp is on a European scale, not American, hence the difference. straight line acceleration is not all important in a road race. sure it helps, but braking and handling are just as, if not more, important. the bugatti is massive. there is no way it will the approx. 2500 lbs. the F1 weighs. more weight leads to worse handling and braking. so the bugatti wins in 1/3 out of the required elements needed for road racing. the F1 would get passed in the straights, but it would build up a lead very quickly.

in conclusion, i would like to add this: you saying that i do not know anything makes it sound like you're the one who is clueless as to what is going on.

peace out yo:)

Morpheus XIII
03-02-2002, 12:57 AM
Great theorizing on both parts, but the bottom line is, the Veyron will probably never see the light of day on a racetrack with the McLaren. It's more of a carpet queen, and it does a great job doing that too. Just check out the interior, which is comparable to the likes of the Mercedes SLR cabin! It's got a W16 not for racing but just to keep the car proportionate by heft and class.

By the way, I've never heard of a European horsepower scale before... Could you elaborate? All reports give the W16 the same 1001 bhp (brake-horsepower) which I thought was the same label given to automobiles Stateside (bhp).

MBTN
03-02-2002, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by NISSANSPDR
I dont find the McLaren that fun though...yeah it could kick the snot out of any car on the street but...there are cars for less that can do that...you dont need to shell out $1M to do that...I mean look at the:

Porsche Carrera GT (Price tag $350K-$400K)
V10 5.5L
558HP/442lbs of TQ
6 spd manual
2752 lbs
8 Piston Calipers on 15 inch ROTORS all around...
and a top speed of 205 mph

That could kick some major butt in almost any town...stock vs stock...you arent going to find many other stock cars that can beat it...and you dont need to spend all that extra money ($600K) for those extra 27 mph on the top speed

McLaren : not the coolest of them all...just b/c it can do 232mph

The McLaren is coolest because of everything it could and still can do... Just do some research and reading on that car. It's one of the greatest pieces of machinery on the planet. It is fantastic at everything it does. Some cars may be able to out accelerate it, some may have higher speeds, but can those cars do everything the McLaren has done?

Morpheus XIII
03-02-2002, 02:49 AM
I mentioned this before as my 1st runner-up for car most fitting the term exotic, but I want to elaborate on the Ford GT90.

Why does this concept car befit the title quite well? Once again, be not confused between the terms "exotic" and "supercar". Exotics don't need to be racecars, since they are designed to be off the deep end. That's why the Veyron comes so clearly in mind, but the GT90 has its own share of foreign appeal.

For starters, the beast actually HAS exotic material. And I'm not talking about carbon fiber. I'm talking about ceramic tiling. The same tiling used on the underside of the space shuttle for resisting the intense atmospheric friction upon re-entry. The GT90 uses two V8s fused together (with 2 cylinders removed on each), only to be blown apart by the intense heat (1500 degrees F) of four turbochargers. The ceramic tiles are needed to prevent the engine from initiating a meltdown from within.

What makes this car less of a race car and more of almost non-indigenous exotic? It's a concept car, and therefore, it has conceptual technology as well. Such features include fiber-optic derived headlamps (which could have evolved to laser technology had the study continued), and blind-corner warning systems (which shoot infra-red beams in radar/sonar fashion to detect vehicles on its side flanks.

And here are some photos for your viewing pleasure:

http://supercars.ifn.cx/gt90/picture4.jpg

http://supercars.ifn.cx/gt90/picture3.jpg

http://supercars.ifn.cx/gt90/picture5.jpg

http://supercars.ifn.cx/gt90/picture9.jpg

http://supercars.ifn.cx/gt90/picture6.jpg

http://supercars.ifn.cx/gt90/picture7.jpg

crayzayjay
03-02-2002, 10:03 AM
Here goes....

I've never heard of any differences in scales, but difference between 987 and 1001bhp is nothing. zip, zero, nada.
straight line acceleration is not all important in a road race
sure, but 350 extra bhp will have a lot to say when exiting corners, not just on the straights. Extra grunt will catapult the car out of corners.
sure it helps, but braking and handling are just as, if not more, important. the bugatti is massive. there is no way it will (weigh?) the approx. 2500 lbs. the F1 weighs
For same power to weight ratio,
F1: 627bhp, 1137kg
Bug: 987bhp, 1789kg.

The Bugatti can afford to weigh in at 1789kg, or almost 4000lbs, to maintain the same power to weight ratio as a McLaren. Fairly safe to assume that this 200k car will not weigh 4000lbs. And if it weighs a little more, we have no clue what the chassis will be like to contain and handle its extra weight. As for braking, braking technology has and continues to move on considerably, im sure the Bugatti will stop tremendously. The only thing to worry about is the extra braking it has to do as it approaches the corners at (theoretically) a higher speed than the F1. For example, the XJ220 sheds off its bulk and can perform admirably despite it, being to this day one of the fastest cars ever around the Nurburgring.

But these are all possibilities. We don't know what the Bugatti will be like. Thats why its ridiculous to compare these two cars before one of them has been tested. You can know McLaren F1's all you like but you still CAN'T know what the showdown between these cars would yield. Its not an insult to your intelligence, as i think you took it, but simply rational reasoning. You can't know, i can't know. We can only assume. And that's not good enough

And yes, Im sure you'll find i do know what i'm talking about :)

cheers,
jay

mastachi
03-02-2002, 09:46 PM
the Saleen S7..i think that its cool that it can drive upside down at 160 mph..theoretically..

Morpheus XIII
03-03-2002, 12:19 AM
Nearly all le mans racecars can drive upside down at triple digit speeds. That doesn't make the S7 unique. F1 cars can drive upside down at speeds as low as 100 mph.

MBTN
03-03-2002, 09:32 AM
I've heard the F50 can drive upside down at 90mph, but I don't think that number is reasonable.

mastachi
03-03-2002, 10:29 AM
MORPHEUS...but are you gonna ever drive an f1 or a le mans race car down the street..i seriously doubt it..an Saleen S7..quite possibly (if you are ever blessed enough to afford one), it is street legal, and that should make it unique..

crayzayjay
03-03-2002, 10:32 AM
I've heard the F50 can drive upside down at 90mph, but I don't think that number is reasonable
I think it's about twice that, maybe even a little more

mastachi
03-03-2002, 10:38 AM
the saleen S7

Morpheus XIII
03-03-2002, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by mastachi
MORPHEUS...but are you gonna ever drive an f1 or a le mans race car down the street..i seriously doubt it..an Saleen S7..quite possibly (if you are ever blessed enough to afford one), it is street legal, and that should make it unique..

Hmm. Interesting statement. The basis of the Le Mans series is founded on street vehicles racing against each other. That is why the Saleen S7 is part of the series. All vehicles of the GT and GT-S classes MUST have a homologation special, meaning they must have street legal forms being sold in some part of the world. This includes the 911 GT3s, Corvette C5Rs, Viper GTS-Rs, McLaren F1s etc. Even some cars in the LMP classes have had street versions, although quite fewer these days than before back in '98. If you're lucky enough, you might actually see a $1 million Nismo R390GT1 driving on the streets of UK to a racetrack. Or if you're really lucky, might be able to lay your eyes on the ultra-rare and ultra-fine Porsche 911 GT1. And please don't think that the S7 is unique in the sense that the ones used on the track are absolutely identical to the street variants--no le mans vehicle is--but you can outfit one to be.

Da Hawxxx
03-03-2002, 03:15 PM
Coolest Exotic Car ever?
F1 GTR LM

mastachi
03-03-2002, 04:06 PM
but you can buy a saleen S7 for the streets an drive it legally...you cant buy a lemans racecar for your drive to work on a daily basis...but you can with a saleen S7, which is meant to be driven more than once in a blue moon, and not just to a race..how can you say the S7 is not unique..

Morpheus XIII
03-05-2002, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by mastachi
but you can buy a saleen S7 for the streets an drive it legally...you cant buy a lemans racecar for your drive to work on a daily basis...but you can with a saleen S7, which is meant to be driven more than once in a blue moon, and not just to a race..how can you say the S7 is not unique..

What you are talking about is purely subjective!

You can also buy a McLaren (well, used) and drive it to work every day as well. Therefore it's not really unique. There is a guy in Texas (his McLaren was featured in a major magazine a few years back) who supposedly has two of them, and one is his daily driver. True, the S7 would probably be much more comfortable as a daily-driver for the average person, but some people don't need that level of pampering for their daily duties.

How many Ferrari 550s have you seen in the past year? The 550 Maranello/550 GT relationship is basically the equivalent to the S7/S7R relationship.

As for the LMPs: What's stopping a guy from buying an R390 and driving it to work everyday? You may or may not know this, but Nismo designed the R390 street version before the GT1 racing model, which is highly unusual for a Le Mans prototype entry. It was created to truly abide by the homologation rules; Nismo built a racecar on top of a production car, not the other way around. On the other hand, the S7 was released after the S7R--the S7R was really what was on the top of the list for Saleen's essentials.

Let's put it this way: The S7 is a finely crafted, beautiful, and extremely rare car--but it isn't all that unique. But I suppose it really depends on your perspective of what "unique" is.

mastachi
03-07-2002, 01:58 AM
The S7 is unique..i dont know how you can say it isnt..

MBTN
03-07-2002, 02:18 PM
It's unique, just like every other supercar.:)

border_project
03-07-2002, 07:08 PM
to me the mclaren isnt much of a exotic car. its more of a high performance sports car.
if its exotic i would say aston martin vanquish, ferrari f50, diablo, mercedes s class (kinda), bently and rolls royce

Morpheus XIII
03-07-2002, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by border_project
to me the mclaren isnt much of a exotic car. its more of a high performance sports car.

Very true...

MBTN
03-07-2002, 08:19 PM
If the McLaren isn't a supercar than I don't know what is... :rolleyes:

ac427cpe
03-07-2002, 08:20 PM
plain and simple - Lotus Esprit V8 twin turbo

Roadster2
03-08-2002, 06:17 AM
THE MCLAREN IS A $1,000,000 SPORTS CAR AND NOW IT IS BUGATTI'S TURN WITH THE EB 16/4 VEYRON WITH 1001 HP IN THE EUROPEAN VERSION AND THE AMERICAN VERSION WITH 987HP

:D

http://www.bugatti-cars.de/engl/index_cu.html

crayzayjay
03-08-2002, 01:07 PM
to me the mclaren isnt much of a exotic car. its more of a high performance sports car. if its exotic i would say aston martin vanquish, ferrari f50, diablo, mercedes s class (kinda), bently and rolls royce

im intrigued here. what is your definition of exotic car?

cheers,
jay

Da Hawxxx
03-08-2002, 01:10 PM
mercedes s a exotic? :confused:

Morpheus XIII
03-09-2002, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Da Hawxxx
mercedes s a exotic? :confused:

Perhaps a Maybach, but a plain old S? If you can see one everyday, then it's not really exotic. But once again, I suppose it really depends on what a person's definition of "exotic" is.

Roadster2
03-12-2002, 07:38 PM
THERE IS ANOTHER MCLAREN IT IS THE F2 IT IS ON THIS WEBSITE

http://www.conceptcarz.com

IT IS IN THE ALL MANUFACTURERS SECTION

MBTN
03-13-2002, 01:34 AM
ROFL!!!:p

Roadster2
03-14-2002, 06:07 AM
OR WHAT ABOUT THE SHELBY COBRA 427 S/C

91HBSi
03-14-2002, 08:14 AM
I saw a Civic the other day...

crayzayjay
03-14-2002, 07:17 PM
WOW :eek: what colour was it?

91HBSi
03-14-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by crayzayjay
WOW :eek: what colour was it?

It was green... and it had an Si sticker on it, along with a DOHC Vtec sticker; it was a Dx.

The most exotic car I have seen around here is a BMW Z9, the one off of James Bond.

Morpheus XIII
03-14-2002, 11:42 PM
Oh now we're talking about most exotic seen?

Then I'd have to go with the Diablo GT (well, sort of cheating; it was at a dealer).

Porsche
03-15-2002, 12:00 AM
Well, I was undecided, but today, at the Ottawa Auto Show, nestled between a Yellow Lamborghhini Diablo, and a Toy car booth, was the most beautiful car I've ever seen, a 2001 Lotus Exige, fly yellow.

I was awestruck, this car in perosn looks like speed. Check it out!

Roadster2
03-15-2002, 07:41 AM
SORRY TO SAY BUT A CIVIC IS DEFINETLY NOT A EXOTIC

FORD THE BEST NEVER REST

http://www.fordfan1.homestead.com/FORDFAN1.html

Innotech
03-15-2002, 09:37 AM
oe specific car stads out ofr me, and that is the montecarlo gtb. eve though built in 1996, it had a top speed of 215 mph, ad 720 bhp! it had a exotic motori moderi v12 engine. delicious ;)

Sam19113
03-16-2002, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by Morpheus XIII
By the way, I've never heard of a European horsepower scale before... Could you elaborate? All reports give the W16 the same 1001 bhp (brake-horsepower) which I thought was the same label given to automobiles Stateside (bhp).

There ARE two ratings for horsepower: SAE horsepower and Metric horsepower. SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) horsepower has been accepted as the standard measure of horsepower. Metric horsepower is rarely used, but this would account for the difference of 987hp vs. 1001hp.

One SAE horsepower is approximately equal to 1.0138697 metric horsepower; 987 SAE hp * 1.0138697 = 1000.6893939 hp =~1001 hp.

Morpheus XIII
03-18-2002, 04:56 AM
Thanks, thats some great data. :)

Morpheus XIII
03-18-2002, 04:57 AM
(forgot to add)

I wonder why any company would bother using the metric horsepower, it's just going to confuse people.

mastachi
03-25-2002, 10:21 AM
cause many people probably dont know the difference, and thats the main aim of the car company, to confuse people into thinkin it has more hp than it really does..

Add your comment to this topic!