Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

VCT Solenoid problems

laybackman
11-08-2004, 09:57 AM
I own a '98 Mystique with a Ford vetec twin cam 4 cylinder motor. It keeps showing two codes 1380 and 1381. Both relate to the VCT solenoid on the exhaust side cam that controls variable cam timing. What hapened (I think) is that during an oil change at your local stealership they put in too much oil (1 quart too much) and blew the solenoid. The car runs fine but the check engine light goes on as soon as you go into closed loop mode when driving.

My question is can just the solenoid be changed? And how is the solenoid installed? Does it screw in to the clutch assembly on the cam shaft or is it one single unit that has to be replaced?

Here is a picture of the solenoid:http://laybackman.home.comcast.net/vct_pics.htm

flyboyutah
11-12-2004, 10:09 AM
I'm working on my daughters 98 Mystique, 2.0 engine, but my code is 1383. The engine was running with low power, and surged...now it quit completely. I've read this engine has problems with the VCT, but the Haynes manual I bought doesn't mention the CTV at all. What makes you think overfilling the oil would blow the valuve (my daughter had just added a quart of oil, and it was overfilled)

laybackman
11-12-2004, 10:55 AM
I'm working on my daughters 98 Mystique, 2.0 engine, but my code is 1383. The engine was running with low power, and surged...now it quit completely. I've read this engine has problems with the VCT, but the Haynes manual I bought doesn't mention the CTV at all. What makes you think overfilling the oil would blow the valuve (my daughter had just added a quart of oil, and it was overfilled)

I have learned several new things about the VCT solenoid that is interesting. First off I'm not sure iftoo much oil in the base will affect oil pressure. I would think it would raise it but then again it may only incresae your reserve in the base pan. Oil pressure higher than normal could ruin the vct solenoid which is oil pressure regulated as I understand how it operates.

But it is most sensitive to dirty oil and you MUST use 5W-30 SAE oil. 10W-30 SAE and heavier oil can ruin the VCT Solenoid.
Again here is pics of my solenoid:
http://laybackman.home.comcast.net/vct_pics.htm
I still need to know if it can be replaced the solenoid without removing the clutch mechanism associated with the solenoid. Hope this helps

laybackman
11-12-2004, 11:02 AM

For what its worth I get trouble code 1381 "Camshaft Positon Timing Over Advanced Bank 1"

Sometimes this second code also sets itself afterwards:

1383 "Camshaft Position Timing Over Retarded Bank 1"
I replaced both the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor but that did not fix my problem. Maybe you could get those two sensors tested before you yank them out like I did.

laybackman
11-12-2004, 11:07 AM
For what its worth I get trouble code 1381 "Camshaft Positon Timing Over Advanced Bank 1"

Sometimes this second code also sets itself afterwards:

1383 "Camshaft Position Timing Over Retarded Bank 1"
I replaced both the camshaft position sensor and the crankshaft position sensor but that did not fix my problem. Maybe you could get those two sensors tested before you yank them out like I did.

Just found this in the Ford cestion of this website:http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/july2002/techtips.cfm

flyboyutah
11-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll be taking it apart this weekend, and I have a few friends that I might be able to learn about the activator clutch mech. I'll let you know what I find out.

flyboyutah
11-13-2004, 10:18 AM
FYI...I've found a lot more info when I search using Contour,,,anyhow, e found a discription of removing the vcr.
For me, I've decided after reading several post, that before I commit to tearing things aprt further, it's worth going back and flushing out and replacing the oil with 5w 30W and replacing the plugs.
It seems that this car is really sensitive to even 10w 30 oil, dirt and such. Plus this problem started right after some oil (who knows what) was put in.

Heare is the site (it has a pic of the selenoid removed) also talk about getting a replacement for < $40 at ford dealar)

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=zetecmaint&Number=418930&Forum=zetecmaint&Words=vct&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=415970&Search=true#Post418930

zx2srdotnet
12-23-2004, 03:12 AM
teh 5w vs 10w honestly doesnt matter, zx2's have teh same zetec and have no problems at all, and you can probably get a used silinoid from a zx2 in a juny yard for like $10. if the VCT doesnt work it honestly wont matter untill you go foe emissions. I havnet had mine pluged in for like 2yrs, i just plug it back on when i go for inspection

flyboyutah
12-23-2004, 07:58 AM
You are right. It turned out that the problem was a destroyed timing belt idler, near the crankshaft hub. It had messed up the timming belt tension, and the timming belt had jumped a notch or two off. Thanks for the input. It's hard to know how much it effects the engine performance.

zx2srdotnet
12-23-2004, 12:03 PM
when ou get teh car back, just unplug it, the tone may change a little but it wont really have any power change at all, the biggest thing is that you wont pass emissins with it unplugged.

Add your comment to this topic!