Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Why do poeple always look down on the G35 sedan?!

gti1689
11-04-2004, 05:43 PM
I usually go to a couple of G35 forums, incuding this one, and every time I see some kind of thread in which someone has had a bad experince in a G35, the first question is always, "was it a sedan or a coupe". The usual response is: "try the coupe its much better than the sedan" etc. I own an automatic G35 sedan (gasp, omg, wtf!), and I really enjoy it. I have a manual, kinda sporty, other car, and I am content to have an automatic commuter car.

I feel like people look down on me, at least online, when i say i own a g35 sedan. I have been asked why i didn't buy a coupe so many times i want to drive the damn thing into a wall. Some poeple who dont even own a G35 have made fun of me for buying it over the coupe. My car has the same engine as the coupe, similar styling, and in Japan its still a skyline.

My question to all of the members is the following: Why do you think people look down on the G35 sedan when compared to the coupe? If you do not think that this happens, to some degree, please specify the reason why, and what experinces you have had to lead you to this conclusion.

Thanks guys, check out my cardomian site sometime!

godofcpu
11-12-2004, 04:45 PM
Personally, the primary reason why I bought the coupe was for the looks and I think many other coupe owners did for the same reason too. I love the way the coupe looks, but you really don't get that same look in the sedan, I wouldn't say that the styling is similar at all, maybe they have some design cues in common at best. There is little I like about the way the sedan looks and I would never even consider buying one even though performance wise its pretty much the same car. I think the sedan looks nothing like the coupe except for maybe the head lights. They don't share a single body panel in common and even though just about everything else is similar, I think the two cars don't appeal the same way to everyone because its most obvious trait, its looks, are so different.

I too look down on sedan drivers, thats just my opinion and not based on anything objective. I don't think the sedan looks nearly as sporty, then again, many of my friends criticize me for not getting a 4 door car and they do have a ligitimate point, the sedan is much more pratical, but my point is if I really wanted practical, I certainly wouldn't of bought a G35. In the end its just an opinion, if you get a lot of people telling you that overall the sedan isn't as good as the coupe on anything but a subjective level, your just not asking the right people.

G35XAndTrailBlazer
11-30-2004, 11:15 PM
I agree. This is ridculous.

Godofcpu. Why in the world would you buy a car just for the dumb looks?

I went with me dad, and we looked at performance stitistics, lease deals, and practicality.

I sham upon YOU for buying a car cause it looks nice.

I live in minnesota, and a Coupe would suck in the winter. The G35X works great in the snow, and the four place AWD tractioncontrol, eliminates it from spinning.

People that buy a sports car, and just drive it for looks, is dumb, and i cringe every time i look at them.

godofcpu
12-02-2004, 04:31 PM
I agree. This is ridculous.

Godofcpu. Why in the world would you buy a car just for the dumb looks?

I went with me dad, and we looked at performance stitistics, lease deals, and practicality.

I sham upon YOU for buying a car cause it looks nice.

It's one thing if your just buying an economy car just to get you from point A to B, but you can do that pretty damn well for significantly less then what the G35 costs. For the premium that I spent on this car, I want something that can go above and beyond that and give me something I actually like to drive. Cars with lots of horsepower and AWD are a dime a dozen, but theres only 1 car that looks like the G35 coupe.

I can't belive anyone would spend 35k on a car that they don't think looks nice. That surely seems like a sure fire way to get buyers remorse. No, I wouldn't of bought the G35 if it didn't also have very good performance and luxury for the price, but half the cars in the G35's class met the level of functionality I needed. If image isn't important to you, then the coupe doesn't have much to offer compared to the sedan.

G35XAndTrailBlazer
12-02-2004, 05:18 PM
You also have to look at how many people your going to carry and if it will be saficient for them. I have 4 people in my family. the coupe seats four. The Sedan Seats five very comfortably. So of course, we took the sedan.

gti1689
12-12-2004, 07:56 PM
i got mine for that exact reason. the coupe was not practical for my needs, and the sedan happened to work.

the car looks quite nice, and i think it serves its purpose very well.

G35XAndTrailBlazer
12-12-2004, 08:02 PM
Ya. And it handles the corners nicely, everyone who rides in it likes it.

The coupe kinda looks like a Nissan Z

G35cTurbo
05-10-2005, 11:43 PM
owning any infiniti or nissan is a blast =)

ariesxtreme
08-11-2005, 04:41 PM
When I bought my sedan a few weeks ago..everyone and I mean EVERYONE asked..."why not the coupe...I so don't see you in a sedan". Yeah the coupe looks nice...no doubt about that..but I traded in a BMW 330 coupe, and just turned 25..and practicality had to kick in some time. To each their own. Either way..you're getting a sporty car, yes..the coupe probably handles more like a true sports car, but let's not knock the sedan...it rides awesome as well.

philosophy
06-14-2009, 11:04 AM
I think it's more of a car culture thing. Owning a coupe implies independence, adventure, and high speed passes down the local "strip." A sedan carries associations of conformity and practicality (i.e. family), both of which are commonly viewed as weaknesses to a self image. It's then easy for someone with a threatened ego to knock your purchase of a sedan, and then claim an internal victory for their own self esteem. In short I think attacks like this are immature unless there is truly a difference in performance (which is not often the case between today's coupe and sedan models).

G35host
07-25-2009, 03:47 AM
How many of these so called enthusiasts have ever even got behind the wheel of a 6mt sport tuned g35 with some expensive tires to boot? My first post here and must say if you're looking to take someone home from a bar than by all means buy the g35 coupe. The G35 6mt sedan is safely reserved for a family man. This coming from a 23yr old, previous maxima owner, current owner of a 2005 g35 6mt. So, pick your poison, just don't drink and drive.

luluxiu
07-29-2011, 09:54 PM
Premium, I took this car, I wanted to go beyond the above, you can give me something, I like to drive. A lot of horsepower and AWD car is a dime a dozen, but theres only one car, looks like a G35 coupe...

hotridedude0720
08-11-2011, 12:36 AM
Premium, I took this car, I wanted to go beyond the above, you can give me something, I like to drive. A lot of horsepower and AWD car is a dime a dozen, but theres only one car, looks like a G35 coupe...

True!

69*Goat
09-23-2011, 10:15 AM
I liked the look, and the performance so much, that I bought one this week. :iceslolan

It is a 2008 G35 S with 18,000 miles on it.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/mrwells/G35%20S/DSC_0750.jpg

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/mrwells/G35%20S/DSC_0754.jpg

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/mrwells/G35%20S/DSC_0753.jpg
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/mrwells/G35%20S/DSC_0752.jpg

eracings
09-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Nice!
Good luck and have fun playing with your new toy. I am jealous!

I liked the look, and the performance so much, that I bought one this week. :iceslolan

It is a 2008 G35 S with 18,000 miles on it.

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/mrwells/G35%20S/DSC_0750.jpg

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/mrwells/G35%20S/DSC_0754.jpg

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/mrwells/G35%20S/DSC_0753.jpg
http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/yy12/mrwells/G35%20S/DSC_0752.jpg

Add your comment to this topic!