Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Procedure to unlock the radio

Pages : [1] 2

Jimmiz71
11-01-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi Guys, On Friday I replaced my battery, I forgot about the theftlock on my stereo. It is now in lock mode and I checked my manual and there are no directions as to how it unlocks, it simply says "To unlock, Enter secret Code" there are no numbers written down anywhere in the manual or the quick help guide (came with manual). If anyone can help in any way it is greatly appreciated. I called the dealer and they told me they cannot give me the code or any advice on how to enter it, only to make a service appointment and drop my truck off. :cya:
Thanks in advance!!
-Jimmy

nineball481
11-01-2004, 03:13 PM
If you try this, please let me know if it checks out. This could save people a lot of time and money.

Date Published: 2002-05-26

Submitter's Name: Ioannis Hadjiioannou
Email Address: hex29a@hotmail.com
Corvetteforum.com Member Alias: Hex29a

The following procedure will give you a new code that you can use instead of your personal code. Using this new code, you can “unlock” your radio and then “re-lock” it with a new code if you wish. Prerequisites: The radio must be in LOC mode NOT in INOP mode. Let me explain. If you have activated the Theft-Deterrent feature of your radio and loose power, the radio goes into LOC (theftlock) mode. With the ignition on, you must use the MN and HR buttons to enter you personal code in order to unlock it (The instructions are on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual). If you fail to enter the correct code eight (8) times, the radio goes into INOP mode. You have to wait an hour with the ignition on before the radio returns to LOC mode (go for a long drive somewhere).

Procedure:

01. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

02. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds

03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.

04. Press the AM/FM button

05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.

06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05

07. Call 1 800 537 5140

08. Press 1 then # (pound). You’ll hear “Invalid Code, try again”

09. Press 139010 then # (pound). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by * (start)

10. Enter the number from STEP 6 then * (star)

11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice

12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 11

14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC Your radio is now “un-locked” and usable. The Theft-Deterrent feature is STILL active! If you want to disable it, use the instruction on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual. Use the code from STEP 11 instead of your personal code.

Note: This tip originated from LOTZAHP, Austin TX (credit must be given where credit is due). I verified it on an Y2K C5 with a locked radio - mine.

I hope this helps, I found it on a corvette forum, should work fine with your radio. Again let me know how this turns out. Please.

Jake
-nineball :thumbsup:

kdolson
11-01-2004, 10:56 PM
If you need the code to unlock send me a private message with the 6 numbers and i will send you the code to unlock

kdolson

Jimmiz71
11-02-2004, 07:41 AM
Hi Guys, it worked like a charm..(After a couple trys) I received those same directions yesterday from a friend but I was missing the # to enter after you get the invalid entry prompt. Thank you for taking the time to look that up for me. :thumbsup: Im now adding a copy of this to my manual.
-Jimmy

nineball481
11-02-2004, 03:34 PM
That's good to know. Sure beats paying the dealer 30-40 bucks

Jimmiz71
11-03-2004, 07:51 AM
The dealer in Lowell and Woburn (MA) said to find the code may take up to an hour or two, they charge $50/hr. Id just replace it myself before paying them $100 to push four buttons. Thanks again, You guys saved me some coin.
-Jimmy

jbeaulieu51
11-04-2004, 05:01 PM
what if it says cal err is there a chance at all to get this fixed

jcamp
11-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Hey guys I tried this on mine and it didn't work. My says Inop for a few sec and then says lock. Help jcamp@centurytel.net

nineball481
11-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Hey guys I tried this on mine and it didn't work. My says Inop for a few sec and then says lock. Help jcamp@centurytel.net

The radio must be in LOC mode NOT in INOP mode. Let me explain. If you have activated the Theft-Deterrent feature of your radio and loose power, the radio goes into LOC (theftlock) mode. With the ignition on, you must use the MN and HR buttons to enter you personal code in order to unlock it (The instructions are on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual). If you fail to enter the correct code eight (8) times, the radio goes into INOP mode. You have to wait an hour with the ignition on before the radio returns to LOC mode (go for a long drive somewhere).

nineball481
02-20-2005, 09:23 PM
bump

silveradoking
02-20-2005, 10:24 PM
What are you guys talking about....'the dealer is charging you $30-$40', the dealer is charging about 2 hours at $50'....what kind of nonsense is this.... It takes less then 5 minutes to do....And I had it done about 3 different times, at 3 different dealerships who all did it for FREE.... Until I got the common sense to write down the pin, inorder to prevent future visits to the dealership.... I would be very suspicious at the huys that told me it would take him 2 hours to find the pin....what a scam.... takes less then 5 minutes.... push the 2 and 3 buttons for 15 seconds, get a 3 digit code, then push the amfm button, get a 3 digit code...and then make a 1 minute phone call....!!!!!!!!!!

Jimmiz71
02-23-2005, 01:22 PM
^ I guess they do things differently (more honestly) in Canada, I contacted the dealer and explained my problem.. they told me to make a service appointment for the following Monday and drop my truck off. they would have to locate the code and they would not give me the procedure over the phone. The guy told me there was a Service charge and an additional hourly rate if the GM tech had a problem getting the code.. It sounded like BS to me so I Had a friend who is big into GM find the unlock procedure.. My neighbor who is a mechanic also came to my house with the procedure an hour after I unlocked my radio.. The point is Chevy did try to bullshit me and its how they make easy money.. I do all my own work on my truck so I would be dammed if I pay them up to $100 dollars to unlock my radio.. like I said before.. I would rip it out and put an aftermarket radio in first..
My point is... it did sound like nonsense and that's why I found a solution to my problem without visiting the dealer Once.
Don't come onto the forum and BS us about how easy it is to unlock when you made 3 trips to the dealer yourself.. The owners manual does not tell you how to enter the code even if you had it.. Which in my case was part of the problem.. But your lucky you got help from an honest service tech.. :2cents:
-Jimmy

nineball481
05-30-2005, 12:16 PM
bump.... Hey admins, Think we could sticky this post at the top? Thanks.

miltystu
08-30-2005, 05:53 PM
I cant get get this to work on my 05 radio. Any suggestions besides going to the dealer. Thanks
:banghead:

eliziajane
09-18-2005, 06:18 PM
I need help my Cd player on my 2000 Sliv just stop taking in the Cd's it want feed anything the cd will not go in Please help

Lobstah
09-30-2005, 12:19 PM
I cant get get this to work on my 05 radio. Any suggestions besides going to the dealer. Thanks

As I posted in another thread, I'm getting ready to swap out my AM/FM with a 2004 Silverado AM/FM/CD/Cassette player. Since that has abviously had "power removed" from it, does that mean it will be locked when I install it?

Man, did they ever make a mess out of THIS process.

And don't EVEN get me started on the location of the oil drain plug and the exhaust.

Lob

nineball481
09-30-2005, 05:48 PM
Check the owners manual.
If you are the first person to ever have that radio and you never turned on the feature, it should not be on. otherwise you can just through the procedure above...

BlenderWizard
09-30-2005, 05:55 PM
As I posted in another thread, I'm getting ready to swap out my AM/FM with a 2004 Silverado AM/FM/CD/Cassette player. Since that has abviously had "power removed" from it, does that mean it will be locked when I install it?

Man, did they ever make a mess out of THIS process.

And don't EVEN get me started on the location of the oil drain plug and the exhaust.

Lob

Oil Drain Plug? Seemed like it was in a fine location to me. The oil filter is difficult to get at with anything other than a filter wrench, tho

nineball481
09-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Oil Drain Plug? Seemed like it was in a fine location to me. The oil filter is difficult to get at with anything other than a filter wrench, tho

you know, my local autozone and competion doesn't sell a filter wrench small enough for our filters...... I have to use a cap or stick something in my wrench so that it will catch on the filter..... Oh well, nothing can be perfect...

Lobstah
09-30-2005, 10:27 PM

Well...my drain plug is horizontal, and there's about 1.5" between the plug and one of the exhaust pipes as it crosses over to the other side.
I have to put a shield on the pipe to direct the oil down or it splashes all over the place.

Lob

Lobstah
10-03-2005, 08:54 AM

I just tried it on my "replacement" 05 and it didn't work. I held the "2+3" buttons down for a full 60seconds, and the display never changed from "Loc".

Did they change the secret handshake for 05?
I'd really like to avoid dealing with the stealership if I can.

TIA,

Lob

Update:

So the problem with the replacement unit is that it's an RDS radio. If you look at any of the popular "unlock code" websites, you'll see a note somewhere that says "We can NOT unlock RDS radios". One even has a picture of my radio with the words "...like this one."

On a brighter note, I found a post by a guy who did this to his pontiac and found that if you connect the Class 2 bus wire to ground, the radio works.

Will let you know...if I can find out which wire in the connector is the Class 2 bus wire.

Lobstah
10-08-2005, 02:53 PM
Well...the radio is in, and working. There is no seperate feed for the Class 2 data. It comes in over the orange power wires to the chassis.
If you look at the plug, there are 11 wires. 8 are speakers, one is ground, and the two orange are power and accessory (keep memory alive).

So the decision was between running seperate power wires to the fuse box and doing without the safety chimes (swapping the old radio back in once a year for inspection time) or paying the dealer to reprogram the truck's BCM. This requires a Tech II programmer.
Turns out the radio I installed (from a Tahoe) was never a "legal" option on this truck, so we had to try a couple of different things before we ended up with the right option codes to make it work.

Final bill from the dealer: $36.25
Took about a half hour. Would have been done sooner, but had to do it twice to get the right option codes.

Lob

ncso911
11-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Quickie method did not work, swapping out to a CD/Casette/AM/FM with RDS.

Shows CAL ERR then LOCKED.

Guardrail
12-04-2005, 02:03 PM
I just replaced my battery and used the steps outlined here. Thanks for posting the instructions. It's a lot easier and quicker than taking it to the dealer.

(I don't imagine a thief would be able to find this info, would they? Kinda' ruins the theft loc feature. ;) )

wafrederick
03-16-2006, 07:02 AM
There is another place to call,GHI.I do not remember the phone number.You call them and that one is free

onehate02
04-04-2006, 10:24 PM
hey guys, any ideas on how to unlock my 2004 radio? those instructions didn't do sh*t

oldmike
04-06-2006, 06:33 AM
The "GM Unlock Procedures" seen all over the internet only work up to year 2000. 2001 (mostly) and newer, GM coded the VIN into the radio so it knows what car it is in. Dealer has to reprogram if you move it to a new car. If in same car after power removed and re-applied, it should be OK.

futr_attny
06-12-2006, 03:44 PM
If you try this, please let me know if it checks out. This could save people a lot of time and money.

The following procedure will give you a new code that you can use instead of your personal code. Using this new code, you can “unlock” your radio and then “re-lock” it with a new code if you wish. Prerequisites: The radio must be in LOC mode NOT in INOP mode. Let me explain. If you have activated the Theft-Deterrent feature of your radio and loose power, the radio goes into LOC (theftlock) mode. With the ignition on, you must use the MN and HR buttons to enter you personal code in order to unlock it (The instructions are on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual). If you fail to enter the correct code eight (8) times, the radio goes into INOP mode. You have to wait an hour with the ignition on before the radio returns to LOC mode (go for a long drive somewhere).

Procedure:

03. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. Don’t take forever, fifteen seconds max before the next step.

05. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.

06. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05

07. Call 1 800 537 5140

09. Press 139010 then # (pound). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by * (start)

11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice

14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to SEC Your radio is now “un-locked” and usable. The Theft-Deterrent feature is STILL active! If you want to disable it, use the instruction on page 3-27 in your Y2K Owner’s manual. Use the code from STEP 11 instead of your personal code.

Note: This tip originated from LOTZAHP, Austin TX (credit must be given where credit is due). I verified it on an Y2K C5 with a locked radio - mine.

I hope this helps, I found it on a corvette forum, should work fine with your radio. Again let me know how this turns out. Please.

Jake

hey this worked for me !!! You are awsome and saved me 35 dollars.

Thanks.:naughty: :) :rofl:
-futr-attny

futr_attny
06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
thanks thanks thanks

kelncrw
06-23-2006, 05:48 PM
Hello there! i was given this thread when i logged on to ask a question of my 99 tahoe radio. i printed it out but i have a problem in that there is no LOC display. i do have power and the time works when you push the repete button or the H/M buttons (but it makes a noice with the H/M buttons) any thoughts?

stashu
09-07-2006, 08:33 AM

I called a radio/repair place and he said the unlock methods described will not work for vehicles 03 to 07. He says it's a Class II data buss and must be done at the dealer. I hope he wrong :-)

Any Input??

The radio I need is GM Part # 93801884---------

Thanks Stashu

Chevy Power 06
09-17-2006, 11:18 AM
I bought a delco mp3 stereo from ebay a few days ago, since the harness connection was different from my 06 silverado I did some research and found out that that stereo fits malibus 04, cobalts 05, g6 06, equinox 05, and up. I almost dismanteled my mom's g6 to take the original stereo off, and I found out that it was the same plug than the mp3 I had just bought. I connected it, and nothing happens. If i press the clock button, the hour comes up. I tried pressing it for several seconds and nothing happens. However, when I press the am/fm button for a few seconds, the doors chime for 5 times. I think its prompting me for a code or something, but I dont know it or how to input it. I also tried the procedure that you guys have used and nothing... Here is a link to a picture of the stereo on ebay, I bought it from this same person, and if you know how to fix this problem it is really worth it because it retails at the dealerships for $1,124. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you very much in advance.

Chevy Power 06
09-17-2006, 11:19 AM
sorry, I forgot the link. Here it is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-GM-Chevy-Chevrolet-CD-Player-Mp3-Envoy-Silverado_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43947QQihZ003 QQitemZ130026675340QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

RoadDoctor
09-26-2006, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the info. However, I can't get the 3 digit codes to come up by pressing the 2&3 buttons or the 1&4 buttons. Even held them in for 30 seconds, no luck... still "LOC." It's a factory radio, GM, fits the 2000 Cavalier. My old radio was just an AM/FM Cassette, got one on ebay that is AM/FM/CD player. Any help? Thanks!

tekinser7
10-19-2006, 06:41 PM
glad for your success on the radio. I might add this to help in the future. hook up a battery pack in the cig. lighter or power access[similar in appearance] before unhooking battery and this will prevent any memory loss or problems, such as this. GOOD LUCK!

thegreatbabu
02-08-2007, 04:37 PM
worked like a charm for me... no problems at all on a 2000 grand am se

nvargo
09-27-2007, 11:33 PM
It worked on my 97 GMC Jimmy THANK YOU SO MUCH!

davedavid
11-22-2007, 12:38 AM
If you need the code to unlock send me a private message with the 6 numbers and i will send you the code to unlock

kdolson what six numbers i just bought the truck and the stereo is locked

99Montana
12-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Just did it on my 99 Silvy - followed the excellent instuctions in reply #2

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU !!!

2 :bigthumb:s up !!!

drwilcome
01-22-2008, 03:58 PM
I have a 2005 buick and the radio is a 2003 gm with 6disk changer how do I get this unlocked its the rds version dealers say it can't work in my vehicle

lstreet97
02-06-2008, 08:54 PM
I have a 02 Silverado and this is the second time this has happen. The first time was when I replaced the battery but the radio started working a week later but this time the battery was disconnected by accident. At first I thought it was the TheftLock but it is not acting like your typically lock. The radio has power if you check it with a meter but the display is blank, no LOC, INOP, or anything just like the first time :banghead:. Talking with a mechanic, he said that it is a another feature of the theftlocking system and would need to go to a dealer to reactivate it. If this happens when ever the battery is replaced, is there a problem with the radio? I'm going to give it a week to see if work on its own again before taking it to a dealer. Any help would be great.

wafrederick
02-09-2008, 03:28 PM
It is true for 2001 and up,has to be programed with the Tech 2 or it will not work and that is the only way to unlock the radio.

jason31in
03-14-2008, 06:07 PM

kdolson hi i have a 98 chev. cavalier my 6#s are 022 029

ty

nl1006jf
05-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Hello, I ask of the help(assistance). I have disconnect my battery and my radio of automobile does not work any more. The code is 472 481. I you thank you has the advance.
P.s. excuse I am quebecois ( french canadian ) and I use a translator of language. Thank you
Jean-Francois

iarrestu4kix
06-02-2008, 03:20 AM
It worked greatly... After about six months of no radio on the way to work, becasuse I didn't want to pay, I can now listen on the way to work! Thanks for the advise!

Banditxkr
01-05-2009, 07:11 PM

Procedure:

07. Call 1 800 537 5140

Jake

I hear this worked for a lot of people, but when i enter the number in step 9 in says invalid.

Any ideas guys?

Banditxkr
01-05-2009, 07:27 PM
nevermind i got it.

Thanks for being here :)

wafrederick
01-05-2009, 08:16 PM
You cannot use this procedure wth 2001 and up GMs.Has to be done with the Tech 2 and is faster than the old procedure

madyareh
02-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Is there any other way to enable the RDS radio besides taking it to a dealer? I have access to a code reader and programmer for the regular error codes. Any way thorough that method?

madyareh
02-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Actually, my rds radio is from a 2002 or 2003 Pontiac Sunfire and I am trying to put it in a 2000 Chevy Cavalier. Is this even doable? Can the tech 2 even mesh these dfferent systems? I don't want to pay a dealer to tell me he can't do it.

ValvolineManOfPa
03-21-2009, 11:33 PM
I'm glad I found this.....I have a 95 Lumina and I got a radio out of a 97. It was locked. Now, after looking at this thread, went thru the procedure.....it works now.
Thanks for the help!

rueben25
04-01-2009, 11:40 AM
Can someone PLEASE tell me how to unlock the radio on a 2003 chevy cavalier??? I tried the pressing the minute button and holding 2&3 thing and nothing even came up?? PLEASE HELP!!

Streetwise
04-30-2009, 10:29 AM
I used the code # 106010 for my 2002 Silverado.

pivetti
05-27-2009, 10:30 PM
512 and 515 for a 2001 gmc jimmy. i need the code! thanks

zzyzzx2
05-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Anyone worried when they might cut off this phone number? I mean, with the GM bankruptcy and all.

urtdog31
06-22-2009, 11:08 AM
ok can someone please help me out, I have a 99 tahoe and the power was disconnect and now my radio is locked, I don't have the manual for my truck at all and I looked on here and found some instructions, everything worked so far except this part

07. Call 1 800 537 5140

I tried entering 8 and 9 but 3x it's says it's wrong and then hangs up... can someone please help me out so I can have music in my truck again!!!!!!

slyshooter
07-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Hi,

I imported a 2006 Chevrolet Blazer from Canada to Saudi Arabia, and got a locked radio in.

the 2&3 button thing doesnt work tried it many times and tried it with ignition on , car running all sort of ways.

Is there anyother way out? Wanted to go to dealer but we have only 2 located in our city and they have one hell of a rush. Probably would waste my whole day there if i dont get a solution.

zzyzzx2
07-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Post the codes from the radio and maybe someone here will call the 800 number code for you. I'm assuming you are getting the Theftlock code.

superromantic
07-26-2009, 08:47 AM
Hello everybody,

Thank you very much for this valuable information.

I have an inquiry please.

Kindly tell how to disable the Theft code.

6CD Bose player in my Envoy XL SLT 2003
I live in Saudi Arabia, Middle East and the car came from the United State and the Radio frequencies here in Saudi is different.
I went to dealer shop he checked and said it's locked I can't reconfigure it to Middle East (I think he doesn't know how :-( )

So I need to disable the Theft Code and go back again to him ;-)

Or I will be very greatful if you have a way to do so by myself and save my money.

Thanking your kind co-operations,

AJ

lkbcpa2b
09-24-2009, 11:44 AM
I am having trouble unlocking my radio on my 00 tahoe. The 1-800-537-5140 139010 does not work. Someone please help. My six digit code is 672676.

Add your comment to this topic!