Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Download the preview of next seasons top gear NOW!!!!

mini magic
10-30-2004, 05:36 PM
Go to racingflix and download it! F40 vs McLaren F1!!

Btw, its rowans car (well, unless there is another burgundy car :) )

mini magic
10-30-2004, 05:37 PM
oh, btw its not the actual comparo. Its a 5 sec preview :)

MalkaJB
10-30-2004, 06:01 PM
Yeah, I just download that video yesterday. All I can say is WOW!!! I really hope they do a power lap in the F1. It would be nice to see how ten year old ingenuity compares to modern day technology. Also, its about damn time Top Gear got the stig in an Enzo. What the hell were they waiting for? I mean 5th Gear did it at the peak of the Enzo's hype. Oh well, this season looks like it will be freakin' awsome.

Stig + McLaren F1 = Happy MalkaJB!!!

Peloton25
10-30-2004, 06:57 PM
Damn - beaten to the punch again... :lol2: :screwy:

I was going to put these up earlier. They are some screengrabs from the video that I made for everyone. :thumbsup:

You really only see the car for a few short seconds in each instance. It is Rowan's car as the plate matches. Maybe we'll finally get to see just how bad his interior choice really is? :lol:

http://a9.cpimg.com/image/09/4A/41396489-c4f5-028001A1-.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Peloton25/McLaren%20F1/TopGear_screenshots.jpg)

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/05/4A/41396485-8f4a-028001DE-.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/Peloton25/McLaren%20F1/TopGear_screenshots2.jpg)

Each of those is clickable for a larger version.

Definitely something to look forward to in the coming weeks on Top Gear!

>8^)
ER

Mr. Bernoulli
10-30-2004, 07:10 PM
It's also Nick Mason's F40 in case anyone is interested.

I believe there is a picture of this car in Driving Ambition too!

_RicH_24
10-31-2004, 09:33 AM
anyone know if its todays show?

i thought on the preview they had an enzo with it, and on todays show they will be having an enzo and:

today's supercars go head to head with the best from the eighties

f40 = 80's, mclaren = 90's, enzo = now?

alpha golf
10-31-2004, 10:44 AM
Which week of Top Gear is this going to be on ???

Peloton25
10-31-2004, 11:55 AM
They didn't say which week. They showed this :70 second or so preview at the beginning of the first show of the season. It has little snippets of what we have to look forward to over the next 9 weeks. It appears there will be a comparison between the Enzo, Zonda & Carrera GT - and then I would assume if they are comparing that trio to yesterday's supercars, that would be where the F1 and F40 make their appearance.

Safe to say you won't want to miss any of the coming episodes. I just wish we could get it on our TVs here in the US instead of having to pull each episode off the web.

>8^)
ER

maartenvanthek
10-31-2004, 03:04 PM
it was on tonight, no direct confrontation, but more the supercars from this decade (cgt, enzo en c12s) versus those from more than a decade ago (xj220. f1 and f40).
sadly only the enzo got the stig treat:(

_RicH_24
10-31-2004, 03:06 PM
didnt say much about the mclaren at all.. other then the gearchange is clunky, backs twitchy, and steering is hard.

wonder what it would of done around the track....

MalkaJB
11-01-2004, 02:02 AM
Just a heads up, the full download is now available at sleepy fish. Their downloads are never as high quality as RacingFlix, but sleepy fish always makes the videos available a few days earlier.

13mac
11-01-2004, 06:09 AM
Hi folks
I was really disappointed with the TopGear feature. I don't know how they could get all that machinery together and end up with such a poor programme. The F40 is pretty irrelevant in that company, yet it dominated the discussion. The new F430 is said to be quicker than the F40 and even a 360CS would have made for a better old v. new comparison with the F40. The oppertunity was there to decide whether the Enzo and Carrera are any advance on the Mac, but all that happened was JC confirming he was no fan of the F1. This we knew from previous tests where he has always been very negative about the Mac. I suspect this stems from his frustrations with McLaren at the launch of the F1, when Autocar and CAR magazine were given preferential treatment. All the advantages JC found with the F40 over the Enzo are also to be found with the F1. Plus it has no turbo lag and comes with carpets and doorhandles amongst other comforts. I think for this week only the Stig should have been allowed to speak....
For me, Enzo/Carrera v. F1 is technology v. ingenuity. I know which I prefer....
Also,
I can't be bothered to check, but JC claims the F40 has the fastest 0-60 time. He quoted 3.2 seconds, but I think he was looking in the F1 column when he found that figure....
JC wondered if the Enzo lap-time would ever be challenged and suggested the Veyron could threaten it! Seems unlikely....
The Carrera lap-time was more impressive, considering how much less extreme it is compared to the Enzo. I assume the F1 has less grip than the Enzo, but its lightness would make up for that. If the Porsche can get within 1 sec of the Enzo I think the Mac would be at least as fast, academic as it is. I mean, if you really wanted to put them to the test you could enter them in a 24 hour race or something like that....
Comparisons by Martin Brundle or Tiff Needell are much more meaningfull than those by JC. They tend to test the cars limits where he merely tests his own driving limits. He has his moments as a presenter though, so lets not be too hard on him....
Cheers,
Don.

Peloton25
11-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Great sentiment Don - lots of good points in there. I assume the owners must have placed some limitations on what they could do with their cars, as it really was a poor showing. You're correct on the 0-60 time on the F40 - I recall it being a 3.8secs on it's best day whereas the F1 was the car to pull of the 3.2sec time. Also, as you say, JC never has a nice thing to say about the F1 which really dillutes my opinion on most of the other things he has to say.

It also drove me mad how JC kept referring to the Enzo as the F60. It's not an F60, Ferrari has never called it an F60, there's no such thing as an F60. :banghead:

Oh well - at least their cinematography is good.

>8^)
ER

Thorst13
11-01-2004, 12:07 PM
JC is a guy who's more interested in giving sarcastic and dry ironic comments instead of actually test and push the cars to see what they're all about.
You will never hear him talk really bad about Ferrari!
He also talks negatively about all car companies who have not given him special treatment over the years.

_RicH_24
11-02-2004, 03:07 AM
someone should email this thread to top gear, someone would read it...

TcarR
11-02-2004, 09:27 AM
The thing to remember about top gear is that it is a fun and quite often funny program with lots of fast cars and crashes. However the opinions of the presenters, JC in particular, should be completely ignored cos he's biased and not a very fair reviewer. If you want to know how good a car is check the magazines, such as Autocar.

It is annoying to think though how many people take JC's opinion' seriously. The other week he took a BMW X3 off road where it would clearly get stuck just so he could slate it for doing so. It's made for the suburbs clarkson, not moutains and should be tested as such!

zx4000
11-02-2004, 11:32 PM
The thing to remember about top gear is that it is a fun and quite often funny program with lots of fast cars and crashes. However the opinions of the presenters, JC in particular, should be completely ignored cos he's biased and not a very fair reviewer. If you want to know how good a car is check the magazines, such as Autocar.

It is annoying to think though how many people take JC's opinion' seriously. The other week he took a BMW X3 off road where it would clearly get stuck just so he could slate it for doing so. It's made for the suburbs clarkson, not moutains and should be tested as such!

Very correct point!!

I think tiff is much much better than him and has sharp perspective, even though it doesn't fit itself that he is compared to JC.

amanichen
11-03-2004, 12:10 AM
Very correct point!!

I think tiff is much much better than him and has sharp perspective, even though it doesn't fit itself that he is compared to JC.Clarkson couldn't even properly launch the F1 in his review =)

But I agree -- Tiff seems to enjoy the cars he drives, while clarkson is more about either sucking up to a car, or completely thrashing it.

mini magic
11-03-2004, 07:17 PM
Clarkson is a great writer. I have many of his books and they are side splitting funny but he is not good as a car reviewer. Yes, he is funny, but he can change his mind very quickly. He said a few months ago that the CGT was the most incredible car he has ever driven etc. Now he says almost the same thing for the Enzo and almost shuns away the CGT. I'm sure they are both great cars but i couldn't work out which was better just by his commentary.

anund
11-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Clarkson is a great writer. I have many of his books and they are side splitting funny but he is not good as a car reviewer. Yes, he is funny, but he can change his mind very quickly. He said a few months ago that the CGT was the most incredible car he has ever driven etc. Now he says almost the same thing for the Enzo and almost shuns away the CGT. I'm sure they are both great cars but i couldn't work out which was better just by his commentary.
I totally agree.

The episode had way too little McLaren-time. I can't figure out why they didn't do something more when they had all the supercars there. Like lend them to the stig or something.
And by the way, I think the Koenigsegg CCR will beat the Enzo.

anund
11-04-2004, 12:53 PM
It is Rowan's car as the plate matches. Maybe we'll finally get to see just how bad his interior choice really is? :lol:

Not my first choice, but it goes quite well with the exterior IMO.
http://www.cyd.liu.se/users/~andgu842/Mac/interior.jpg

You can get a torrent to the episode here.
http://gear.viper007bond.com/getfile.php?id=53&via=torrent

Thorst13
11-05-2004, 03:54 PM
I don't understand what the fuzz is all about??
That interior matches the car and has a "classic" look to it.
Typical English.

mini magic
11-06-2004, 03:51 PM
Not sure about the steering wheel. Can anyone tell if the red is suede or not? It looks like it

Peloton25
11-06-2004, 06:14 PM
Mr B said it was purple, not red. The side seats appear to be some strange shade of dull grey or beige. I could use some better quality images before writing it off, but it doesn't look all that appealing.

You can sort of tell that the suede is not red when you compare it with the color of the seat belt release button.

>8^)
ER

zx4000
11-06-2004, 09:19 PM
So you guys don't have to download this absolutely amazing topgear preview of supercars included Mclaren F1. However, i think you already watched it. Just for lazy Mc enthusiasts. :p

Here it go.
http://auto.joins.com/upboard/pds/movie_pdst/2004110461450_TopGear_Enzo_Supercars_hi.wmv

mini magic
11-06-2004, 09:32 PM
Good point. Now that you point out that its purple it looks less appealing :(

I still think Barazi's Blue/Red looks stunning. I don't car what you guys say :p

Mr. Bernoulli
11-07-2004, 05:04 AM
The colours are not well represented in that photo. In fact it looks quite nice.

In actual fact the leather itself is purple and the alcantara is more brown and less pink than it appears there.

Thorst13
11-07-2004, 07:17 AM
As said before I think R.A's car look great!
It has a choice of colors I would never select myself but it has a special and immedeatly recognicable look to it.
I think it's one of the most "personal" McLaren's out there without pimping it up to levels that overall ruins the classic look of the most beautiful car in the whole world. :grinyes:

Cockrocket
11-17-2004, 02:37 PM
JC is very biased. I do enjoy watching him as i find most (not all) of his comments funny. I was also dissapointed in that edition because i thought it would hjave made sense for the mclaren f1 to do a lap time so we can compare the "blaire" cars to the "thatcher" cars. I was suprIsed about the zonda getting blitzed by the xj220?...it has less power and weighs more!!..how did it happen?...i doubt the veyron will beat the enzo as it weighs 2 tons...and in my opinion is pile a bollox!...i thought bugattis last supercar was awful. they needed 4 turbo chargers to get the same power as a naturaly aspirated v12 that the mclaren used. I mean a formula 1 engine which is v10 can easily create 1000bhp. Imagine the turbo lag on the veyron! Poor engineering, and now with VW at the helm, bugatti has gone full speed ahead to the most ridiculouse route to taking the mclarens claim of fastest production car!....ITS A SPICED UP BEETLE..NOTHING MORE!

zx4000
11-17-2004, 06:26 PM
I was suprIsed about the zonda getting blitzed by the xj220?...it has less power and weighs more!!..how did it happen?...

Actually, the Jagure XJ220 which was dragged with Jonda is updated version up to date so a little higher than stock in output.

Mr. Bernoulli
11-18-2004, 08:37 AM
i thought bugattis last supercar was awful. they needed 4 turbo chargers to get the same power as a naturaly aspirated v12 that the mclaren used. I mean a formula 1 engine which is v10 can easily create 1000bhp. Imagine the turbo lag on the veyron! Poor engineering, and now with VW at the helm, bugatti has gone full speed ahead to the most ridiculouse route to taking the mclarens claim of fastest production car!....ITS A SPICED UP BEETLE..NOTHING MORE!
A current n/a F1 engine designed to complete only 1000 miles that probably costs a few millions pounds can obviously develop a higher peak power output than a road car engine, even that of a supercar. So what?

Turbo anti-lag systems are rather more sophisticated than they were when the EB110 was developed, although it still would be an issue. I still know which engine would be better suited to the task though.

Don't be fooled by all the hype you read in the media.

Thorst13
11-18-2004, 10:37 AM
The EB110 was a great car when it was released.
The Veyron will not be a great car when it's released!
Don't belive the hype about the Veyron I would say!

Mr. Bernoulli
11-18-2004, 01:01 PM
What hype? All I seem to hear are comments like the above.

We know it was never going to compete with the F1 in anything other than headline figures (kerbweight not being one of them!).

They styled a pretty car (IMO), gave the engine a theoretical output but forgot that such an engine may produce quite a bit of heat. Unfortunately the marketing men got hold of the idea and decided to sell it (presumably to get early deposits) before they started engineering the car properly.

It's not boding well for Bugatti, that much is true. However, I prefer not to pass judgement before the actual product is delivered...

Thorst13
11-18-2004, 01:09 PM
I will eat my own words if it prove to be a great supercar!
But I think this will be the European "Vector".

Joey Stockholm
01-10-2005, 09:20 AM
I have read that the Carrera GT is faster than the F1 around a track, the track-test was in the magazine "Evo". But i guess that if you go to a track which has some longer straights the F1 would beat it.

Joey Stockholm
01-10-2005, 09:29 AM
A current n/a F1 engine designed to complete only 1000 miles that probably costs a few millions pounds can obviously develop a higher peak power output than a road car engine, even that of a supercar. So what?

Turbo anti-lag systems are rather more sophisticated than they were when the EB110 was developed, although it still would be an issue. I still know which engine would be better suited to the task though.

Don't be fooled by all the hype you read in the media.

The EB110 didnt have "any" turbolag. Atleast not compared with other supercars of that time. The 4 chargers were very small and had a superb response.
I have driven one ( An SS ) and felt absolutely no lag, but I´m absolutely no expert and havnt tried any other car of that caliber to compare it with.

Mclaren240!
01-10-2005, 06:48 PM
Hmm i thought that evo had come to the conclusion that the f1 was faster around the track? Are you talking about the Rowen Attkinson article am i going mad? I would live to know more about the jag that smoked the zonda being a big 220 fan was it "s" spec always thought the the jag might well be faster than the enzo i have herd that 542 is concervative and 580+ is a possability on a cold day anybody know anything about it sorry im not trying to go to far of topic. Joey Stockholm you are a lucky lucky guy care to tell us more?

I also rember reading in evo i think that the Zonda became unstable at serious speeds?

Add your comment to this topic!