Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Warranty Acura

madzero
10-25-2004, 09:42 PM
Ok, so I just bought an Acura 04 RSX, and I was thinking about modifying a few things. I bought the car with only 9,000 miles and I really am not interested in voiding the warranty. Anyways I heard that almost anything that is cosmetic related should not void your warranty. I heard from various dealers that cold air intakes, engine headers, fuel injectors etc void your warranty and I can understand why, since putting these items in makes the engine run past the specifications that they promise it will run at. However, what is the deal if you get aftermarket WHEELS/RIMS. Many people have told me different things. Some people say that you have to get wheels that are small enough so they don't have to be reconfigured to display the correct milage (18" an under?). The dealers said that putting any rims on the car that are not stock will instantly void the warranty. Who is right? Can I put rims on my car without voiding my warranty? Please help,
Thanks in advance,
Freddy

SwiftAddictions
10-25-2004, 10:26 PM
You can do anyting so long as you do not do anything to the engine, tranny, or suspension. Usually. They call it a "limited warranty" because it promises that the workmanship of the product does not suck, at least untill the end of teh warranty, the all hell is breaking loose. Unless you do something to alter the actual performance of teh vehicle, the warranty is good.

crazy_canuck
10-26-2004, 06:20 PM
Technically nothing voids your warranty. As far as I know you can only have your claim denied. And I do know that it has to be proven that the part caused the problem for them to be able to do anything. And by small they don't really mean rims size (17 inch, 18, etc.) but the actual tire height as in from the ground to the top of the TIRE. 16-19's can fit the RSX just as long as you don't make really stupid tire choices.

madzero
10-26-2004, 10:26 PM
Thanks for the info guys... Anyways I probably am going to get some clean 17" wheels for my car and I already have an exhaust by the way. Anyways my car is black exterior black leather interior 04 with a stock spoiler. So far I have order the following in my car
- Sick ass sound system with Pioneer Avic-N1 headunit and 2 ten" subs.
- Euro Tail lights
- Racing Pedals
- HID Lights
- big ass exhaust system/muffler...

Do you guys have any suggestions for the rims, as well as a spoiler... or any other additions that are cosmetic related. I have decided that since the car is new and it is an automatic anyways that i'm not going to mess with trying to get more horsepower out of it, at least not until the 40,000 mile warranty is up. Any aesthetic suggetions are welcome... It seems like you guys know what you are talking about. I am probably going to be going with 17" rims, MAYBE 18"s.
Thanks
Fred

crazy_canuck
10-27-2004, 02:54 PM
www.thersxsite.com for some of the RSX body kits and modded RSXs (site isn't 100% complete though). Rims are mainly looks, so it depends on the colours, styles, and cost that fits you best.

RSX-S777
10-28-2004, 10:38 AM
*cough, cough* Canuck loves euros *cough* :p :biggrin:

crazy_canuck
10-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Nahhh I love Aussies. They're like Euros but instead of a chrome housing they have dingos painted all over them.

madzero
10-29-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks guys, I installed them due to your help about telling me about those screws. They were nearly impossible to reach however... Anyways my euros look nice and I guess you can say I did my first car "mod." On another subject how come nobody on these internet forms like them. I mean even some car companies are begining to use lights that have a eurolite style to them for their stock cars... have you guys seen the Lexus RX-330, their stock lights look like euros.

SwiftAddictions
10-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Personally, I do not like euros because EVERYONE has them. They used to be nice, but got cliche kinda quick. I would rather have a nice set projectors with a matte black finish on them.

crazy_canuck
10-29-2004, 08:37 PM
Some aftermarket tails look good, and I do like it on the RX, IS, and other cars, but IMO it just doesn't work on the RSX.

madzero
10-29-2004, 09:30 PM
I understand where you guys are coming from now but I did manage to get these Alteeza's for $80 total and installing them myself ... I thought it was worth it.
This is gonna really get you guys laughing ... ehem
Anyways when I was installing my eurolites, it appears that I broke one of the bulbs somehow, it is the only one that isn't facing backwards but on the side of the car. Where the hell do I get new bulbs ...
Thanks
Fred

RSX-S777
10-30-2004, 09:21 AM
Dealer, mechanic, parts store or internet for new bulbs.

BTW, broken bulbs are a sign from the RSX gods. Your Altezzas have displeased them. Sacrifice them and you will be saved....throw them into the fire! :biggrin:

crazy_canuck
10-30-2004, 01:28 PM
bwahaha I was just about to say it was the car telling you that it doesn't like altezzas:D

madzero
10-31-2004, 01:16 AM
I got the light bulb changed at pep boys, they were very helpful in finding me the bulb. Anyways I dont really care what ya'll think, my alteeza's look nice, only problem is it is hard to see the lights during the day, but big deal.

madzero
10-31-2004, 01:18 AM
Err sorry, one more thing. I still can't decide between 17" wheels and 18" wheels. I heard 18s are a lot harder to install, you have a much smaller tire selection (more expensive tires), and then rims themselves cost a lot more. How do you guys feel. 17" or 18" rims???

SwiftAddictions
10-31-2004, 01:00 AM
i prefer 17". You can still put a brakes kit on it if you so desire, and tehy still look good. Whatever you do though, keep the total diameter of teh wheel and tire the same a stock, things tend to work better that way. Personal opinion 17" wheels.

madzero
10-31-2004, 08:03 AM
Yea I think I agree, 18" look slightly too flashy. I want something that looks "clean."

SwiftAddictions
10-31-2004, 08:31 AM
not to mention 18s lower performance. There are threads all over CRSX, you can check them out.

RSX-S777
10-31-2004, 08:46 AM
I've seen some killer RSXs on Cardomain with 18s. Depending on how you do it, it doesn't always look ghetto/ricey. But the performance issue makes 17s the better choice.

crazy_canuck
10-31-2004, 11:23 AM
18s looks better than 17s IMO, but it all depends on what style rim you choose. Harder to install? No, but more expensive? Yes. And yeah, they're a bit slower.

madzero
10-31-2004, 09:10 PM
Well I know little about all this but from the way I look at it (please correct me), 18" wheels are
1. More expensive
2. More work towards installation etc.
3. More expensive tires
4. Tires pop more easily
4. crappier handling
Also, regarding the post that was made earlier about that you don't have to worry as long as the "width" is 7.5 inches, what is that exactly reffering to and how do you know if the rims you want or not have the correct 7.5 inch width.

SwiftAddictions
11-01-2004, 01:10 AM
you forgot heavier. if memory serves, 3 lbs of strationary mass quickly changes to like 300 lbs when rotating.

madzero
11-01-2004, 07:56 AM
I think I am going with Yokohama's and according to you guys I guess I should get 17". Any suggestions on where I should buy the rims, and where I should get them installed?

SwiftAddictions
11-01-2004, 12:32 PM
depends onb where you live. I live in FL adn the best place down here is called SunTire. I am not sure if they are nationwide, but if you can find one locally, go there.

crazy_canuck
11-01-2004, 03:47 PM
As far as I know 18s:
-Weigh more unless you get very light rims like Volks, Work Emotion, etc.
-Rougher ride
-Rims damage easier
-More expensive
-Slower acceleration, slightly better top speed

I can't think of why they'd be harder to install, how they'd handle worse, and tires don't really blowout all taht often.

As a rule, for every pound of unsprung weight (weight unsupported by the springs), it is like 7 stationary pounds.
By that I mean that every pound you add or subtract from the brakes, tires, rims, lug nuts that is like adding 7 pounds to the rest of the car. If each of your 4 rims are 3 pounds heavier than stock, that is like adding 84 (3 X 4 X 7) pounds to your car.

Add your comment to this topic!