Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'84 Caprice project

RaVeN_RyE19
10-20-2004, 11:15 AM
I have a few questions about what I can do to my '84 Caprice Classic Landau. First off, I plan on changing the rear brakes from drum to disc. What kind of car will have a direct swap, I was thinking maybe a 84 to 87 monte carlo. also, do I have to change the entire rear axle to swap to disc or will the hub assembly just come apart? I'm swapping in a 350 from an 87 camro Iroc Z28, so I want to make sure the rear end can handle and put down the power without damage. The 350 is pretty built and I should be running 375hp after I bolt on the intake and 650 cfm carb. Should I upgrade the driveshaft? Does anybody have any doors of of one of these two door models? I'm looking for the driver's side. Can I put in a digital dash from a newer Caprice? What would be a good suspension setup for this to be a streetable car, without the old man feel and road wandering.

TommySS
10-22-2004, 06:49 PM
That's a lot of questions.

I have no idea on the brakes (drum to disc), but keep in mind that the drums on the wagon/police cars are bigger than on the sedans. I have the factory manual on the B/G body cars and will let you know what I find out from there.

The rear ends are good enough the way they are and should hold up unless you intend to flat-out abuse the car. Drive shaft should be fine.

No, the digital dash won't fit.

Get some good springs/shocks and upgrade the sway bar/suspension bushings to polyurethane and that should tighten things up a bit.

You have a very aggressive mod list. Do one mod at a time.

RaVeN_RyE19
11-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Hey, Tommy. Thanks for the info. That is just the info I needed. too bad I didn't know about the wagon having bigger drums, I work for a dealership and we just had an '87 Caprice Wgn. donated to us but got rid of it already. But I'm gonna try to get them off of it because we got rid of it to an employee.

I've already upgraded the shocks to a full air ride suspension, but I haven't found a spring setup that I could use yet. Do you have any suggestions of a website I might be able to use? I like the suggestion about polyurethane bushings. I had a 1993 Suzuki Swift GT with alot of roll that I installed those on and it really seemed to help handling.

Did you have any luck on the B/G body manual?

Thanks for the suggestion of one mod at a time, but I guess one thing I should've mentioned is that I live in upstate NY so it will be put away for the winter. That's when I plan on doing most of the upgrades, so that in Spring I will have a tarmac eater to bring to the local car shows and pick up the ladies. Thanks again for the info.

TommySS
11-24-2004, 08:04 PM
B/G manual located and ready to serve.

Add your comment to this topic!