Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 300M Starter Needs To Come Out!

rojo
10-19-2004, 07:39 AM
How do you remove the old starter? I got the 3 bolts out, disconnected 2 wires (bolted down), cannot unclip the 3rd wire. Need Help!!!! I spent 2.5 hours last night doing this.

pooty
10-20-2004, 01:18 PM
The starter replacement was a great experience for me *sigh*. I ended up breaking and replacing the clip on the small wire going to the starter. You need a good light and try to find the best angle to view the clip. You need to press down ( towards the ground) on the harness release tap and pull directly out. I wish I had a picture to reference. Just remember to locate the upper most portion of the harness and push down and pull out. There's not much slack in the wire either. It may help to lower the starter, taking up as much slack in the wire as possible, for a better view. I plugged the wire in after setting the starter in its place before installing any bolts. I hope this helps! Goodluck!

Chris

lrk1000
12-15-2004, 07:42 AM
I feel for you as well. I spent 2 hours trying also and gave up on that last connector. I ended up putting it back together and taking it to the dealer to have them put it in. Turns out that service guy suspected a bad ignition switch. It was, and I was able to return my starter. Apparently these vehicles (mine was an LHS) are prone to the key switch wearing out.

People knock the dealers alot but there is something to be said for working on the same vehicles day in and day out. You get to know all the little quirks.

The switch and labor cost more than the starter and DIY labor, but my back appretiated it, plus I got a few recalls taken care of.

Len

Add your comment to this topic!