Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1995-2003 S10 & Blazer Front End Clunk Pop Fix!!! Read!!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

xokayxo
11-28-2004, 08:17 PM
You called it a "cone washer" and the part number I have is 12383460. This is correct?

BlazerLT
11-28-2004, 08:21 PM
12383460 WASHER

The parts center at the local dealership had them here under that number in Canada.

xokayxo
11-30-2004, 12:19 AM
Part number would be the same anywhere though, right? I'm in Alaska. Didn't have time to go to the dealer today so I'll go by tomorrow. Also, I downloaded divX and watched that video, took off the black trim/cover where the hinge is on my Jimmy, wedged in a shop towel, and test drove it. No sound whatsoever. So I drove home and took out the towel, replaced the trim/cover, and I've been driving it unfixed since. AND I'M NOT HEARING IT ANYMORE!! I did the washboard thing again and there was nothing. I thought maybe since it's so cold the metal might have contracted so it's tighter now. Is it still a good idea to replace the washer so it doesn't come back or get worse later, or should I save my time?

BlazerLT
11-30-2004, 12:26 AM
Number will be the same in North America.

I would install the washers. The noise will come back.

wolfox
11-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Admittedly, I ghettoed mine together. I could not tell you off the top of my head what the ACE part number is. Good old shop and mechanical experience pretty much helped me to determine the right size to get to fix mine up.
Go with BlazerLT's advice, hit the dealership with that number he gave you. You'll be sure to get the right thing from them and it will make your life easier. ;)

xokayxo
12-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Thanks guys... Now if only I could finish installing my remote starter!

**EDIT**
Got the washer from the dealer and I can't believe that I paid $3 for this tiny ring of metal!!!!!

BlazerLT
01-11-2005, 11:11 PM
To the top.

Some others are having this clunk problem and I wanted to bring it up for everyone to see.

a77wing
01-12-2005, 02:02 PM
Thanks for this fix and all the other info you have passed on.

BlazerLT
01-12-2005, 02:31 PM
No problem! :D

EmTea
01-13-2005, 05:16 PM
For as long as we had this blazer that clunk was getting on my nerves. It always sounded like something was gonna fall out. Thx for the fix LT. I'll try it this weekend.

vballfun
01-13-2005, 05:31 PM
I've had same sound on my blazer... only from the driver's side.. after reading this post and watching the movie I went out propped the hood and shook boths sides and sure enough the passenger side is nice and snug and the driver's side has a good 1/8" - 1/"4 'play'... when I get it back from the tranny place tomorrow gonna try the towel trick. but I'm betting that's what the noise is.. and I was sure it was wheel/support related.
thanks BlazerLT :worshippy

BlazerLT
01-13-2005, 10:06 PM
Yip, I replaced my whole front end because of it.

Wished I knew earlier.

vballfun
01-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Yip, I replaced my whole front end because of it.

Wished I knew earlier.

That was going to be this summer's car project.. get rid of that rattle /clunk.. always freaked my gf out cause it sounds like it coming from the front axle/supports.. (only happens on 'bumps) So always made her anxious to get in the blazer... in her words : "sounds like the front tires' gonna fall off"

I crammed a bunch of paper towels in the side of the trunk (mines on driver side.. not passenger side tho..) and drove through our pothole laden entrance to our appt complex.. and.. viola.. no rattle!!!!.. Amazing.

now I've just gotta get that washer...

Thanks BlazerLT

EmTea
01-19-2005, 03:33 PM
On further investigation I don't think that rattle comes from the washer. It uselly makes the clunk noise when you slowly turn the car hard left or right. Never the less I'll replace that washer just in case.

blazee
01-19-2005, 03:59 PM
On further investigation I don't think that rattle comes from the washer. It uselly makes the clunk noise when you slowly turn the car hard left or right. Never the less I'll replace that washer just in case.

Check the washer first if that isn't it check your ball joints they wear out quickly if not well maintained.

BlazerLT
01-19-2005, 04:24 PM
That was going to be this summer's car project.. get rid of that rattle /clunk.. always freaked my gf out cause it sounds like it coming from the front axle/supports.. (only happens on 'bumps) So always made her anxious to get in the blazer... in her words : "sounds like the front tires' gonna fall off"

I crammed a bunch of paper towels in the side of the trunk (mines on driver side.. not passenger side tho..) and drove through our pothole laden entrance to our appt complex.. and.. viola.. no rattle!!!!.. Amazing.

now I've just gotta get that washer...

Thanks BlazerLT

Glad to have helped.

JoshBarber
02-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Guys,

I thought I found that the sway bar bushings were causing my front end passenger clunk and popping but guess what, they weren't.

Before I drop the bomb and show what I learned through scouring the internet, I have replaced the following:

Lower Ball Joints
Passenger Upper Ball Joint
Sway Bar End Links (Had to be replaced Anyways)
Sway Bar Bushings
Front and Rear Shocks

Total bill: ~US$600

After all of that, it wasn't even the problem. There is a service bulletin that talk about this in this upcoming video.

Want to know what the clunk is? Here you go!

http://www.tweaknews.net/decarbon/one.JPG

Remove this 7mm screw holding the small outer cowl inserts over the hinges. Close the hood.

Remove the covers carefully and don't break the clips.

The hingles will be attached and they are a 13mm nut and bolt.

http://www.tweaknews.net/decarbon/clunkfix.AVI <----Right Click, Save As

That's right, a $2 dollar part fixes this problem that has pissed so many Blazer owners off.

This is the service bulletin that came out in 2001 I believe. Covers all S10 and Blazers.

http://www.zr2.com/frequently_asked_questions/problems/clunking.html

Scroll Down to Rattle.

There you have it, I temporarily laid a couple bunched up shop towels under the flat part in the video and went for a drive on the roughest washboard road within 50 miles and never heard a thing.

Hope you don't go through what I went through.

Ok, I'm about ready to jump off our local bridge. Even though I checked the noise from the hood, and I could make it make the same noise, NOW THAT I'VE ADDED THE WASHER, THE SOUND IS STILL THERE. I've done a bunch of things to make sure it's NOT coming from the hood. And now I think Ive isolated it to the passenger door. I can make the noise stop by holding the door slightly open when I hit the brakes etc. And it doesnt make the noise. Anyone else have this same issue? I can't MAKE the door make the noise, but I can make it stop by opening it while driving. Do I have to replace the pins and bushings? Is this expensive? Is it easy to do myself?
thanks in advance

BlazerLT
02-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Did you put the washer on the sholder portion of the bolt with the narrower end of the washer pointing towards the thread portion?

chcknugget
02-08-2005, 05:54 PM
hahaha this thread will never go away!

Pin and bushings are easy. The parts were actually cheaper from the dealer for me (upper and lower -13 bucks). You'l need a spring compressor tool, hammer, and a bolt and washer mechanism to seat the bushings in properly. Should take about a half hour for the beginner.

JoshBarber
02-08-2005, 06:04 PM
hahaha this thread will never go away!

Pin and bushings are easy. The parts were actually cheaper from the dealer for me (upper and lower -13 bucks). You'l need a spring compressor tool, hammer, and a bolt and washer mechanism to seat the bushings in properly. Should take about a half hour for the beginner.

I think I need to do this. Can you explain the parts a little more? And the tools: Spring compressor tool? bolt and washer mechanism?
Does anyone have photos or images of this?
I can't get the door to make the noise...just stops by opening it while driving. I've noticed I have slight play in the door up and down, while the drivers side has none.

cubanlorenzo
02-08-2005, 09:44 PM
i never used the spring compressor tool. i just took the bottom pin out and lifted the door and the spring fell out. better than buying a tool you will only probably every use once, i also strongly reccomend having 2 people for this job or use jack stands covered with towels so you dont scratch paint. that door gets pretty heavy after holding it up a while.

davidm5377
02-14-2005, 09:33 PM
I bought the spring washers in Okla and they cost $5.20 from the dealer, installed in minutes and the old ones from the hood hinge were shredded up, so far no noise.
Thanks

chcknugget
02-14-2005, 09:45 PM
i never used the spring compressor tool. i just took the bottom pin out and lifted the door and the spring fell out. better than buying a tool you will only probably every use once, i also strongly reccomend having 2 people for this job or use jack stands covered with towels so you dont scratch paint. that door gets pretty heavy after holding it up a while.

How did you get the spring back in? Obviously it's not hard to get it out, but putting the spring back in is another issue. Also the tool only costs 20 bucks. Chances are that if one of your doors needs new pins and bushings, the rest will too.

Joshbarber: The new bushings need to be pressed into their holes. What you do (just like seating bike bearings) is you take a long bolt with a matching nut and at least 2 washers, you put it through the bushings with one washer outside of each bushing, and you tighten it with the nut. It will seat the bushings evenly in the holes. Then you take the bolt out and put your pins in, use the spring compressor tool to bring the spring back in, and you're done.

I'm gald people have been getting the clunk fixed. I've told all my s-series friends and they love it.

deadman2312
02-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Just got mine...I'll let everyone know when they are installed....
This is applicable to both driver and passenger sides? I as well have a loud pop, sounds like something going in and out of place. I believed it to be the suspension, almost like it was coming from the passenger floorboards?

BlazerLT
02-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Yip, that isthe noise I had too.

The washers will fix it right up.

Allbert
02-28-2005, 07:26 AM
I'm so glad this thread popped up again last week... the washer fixed my clunk noise from passenger side and now the ride even FEELS smoother without that noise.

JoshBarber
02-28-2005, 07:30 AM
did anyone get a part number for these washers?

Allbert
02-28-2005, 09:05 AM
I didn't feel like driving to the dealership, so I cut a washer out of the plastic of an old oil container. As easy as it was to get to the bolt in question, I won't mind doing this job again correctly (with GM parts) if I ever have to, and if I don't have to, I saved a trip and a couple of dollars.

JoshBarber
02-28-2005, 11:24 AM
SHIT!
well, I replaced the drivers side washer again, as it DID need to be replaced. I flattened it out on install, which is why it started to rattle. I didnt really understand what good it would do flat when I installed it, which makes sense. ONLY TIGHTEN THEM SO THAT THE CONE IS PRESSED TIGHTLY INTO THE HINGE HOLE.

The SHIT! is for the fact that I still feel the rattle in the floorboard.

chcknugget
02-28-2005, 11:53 AM
I would also like to remind everyone that the rubber hood adjustment bumpers need to be at the right height. One of mine was too low (screwed in too much) and the hood would vibrate at high speeds.

This will cause rattling and flattening of your new washers.

BlazerLT
02-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Very true, good point.

91s10blazer
03-27-2005, 11:01 PM
Will this clunk fix work on the 1st gen. Blazers as well? I have a '91 and the sound of it is almost identical to what you guys are saying but it sounds like all your Blazers are 2nd generation.

BlazerLT
03-27-2005, 11:16 PM
It will be that, or the torsion bar mounts for the first gen.

Big_ Easy
05-31-2005, 01:43 PM
I just got back from the dealer and they do not have the part listed. Do you have the number which you could pass on, much appreciated.

blazee
05-31-2005, 02:01 PM
12383460 Washer - Hood Hinge

Big_ Easy
05-31-2005, 02:59 PM
12383460 Washer - Hood Hinge
Thanks for the quick response much appreciated.

DjEarth
06-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Always wondered what that was. New project for tomorrow I see.

Ordered the washers this morning. $3.00 at my dealership and he wanted to know exactly why I wanted them. Then said..oh that may fix it..but most likely not.

Raijek
06-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Part number would be the same anywhere though, right? I'm in Alaska. Didn't have time to go to the dealer today so I'll go by tomorrow. Also, I downloaded divX and watched that video, took off the black trim/cover where the hinge is on my Jimmy, wedged in a shop towel, and test drove it. No sound whatsoever. So I drove home and took out the towel, replaced the trim/cover, and I've been driving it unfixed since. AND I'M NOT HEARING IT ANYMORE!! I did the washboard thing again and there was nothing. I thought maybe since it's so cold the metal might have contracted so it's tighter now. Is it still a good idea to replace the washer so it doesn't come back or get worse later, or should I save my time?

No dude! Metal doesn't expand and contract that much :eek7: But who knows why it stopped. Good tho'

freddie cosme
06-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Are these special washers that need to be purchased at the dealer are they nylon or steel

BlazerLT
06-17-2005, 08:30 PM
Yes, they are metal.

Lt_Dusty
06-20-2005, 09:34 AM
Hello to all. I'm new to this site, and have been searching for a cure for the clunk I've felt in the passenger floorboard (on take off, and generally right hand turns), on our 96 Blazer 4x4, for nearly a year. Ball joints, sway bar bushings, idler arm, messing around with the torsion bar mounts, and even the 7 dollar spring washers, with no fix. Although they were in need of replacing anyways. I read a suggestion (i thought was from this thread, but I cant find the post), about re-torqueing the upper A arm bolts. I had been told by numerous suspension experts, the A-arm bushings were fine. Well it seems over time the rubber from the bushings tends to shrink, allowing the a-arm to move back and forth just enough to make a clunk. I loosened the a-arm bolts allowing a little seperation, and hosed it down with white lithium grease, then re-torqued to specs. It not only cured that clunk, but another that I would sometimes get hitting pot holes, or going over rough pavement. Anyways, i thought I would post this for the people that haven't found their cause. Maybe it will save someone a couple hundred bucks.

Dusty

metallica21156
06-21-2005, 06:19 PM
i still have a clunck in my 95 that nobodys been able to fix. lower and upper ball joints ,anti-sway link kit and bushings have been replaced,shocks replaced, entire front ends has been gone over and its still there. hood fixed as well and its still there. took it to a friend of mine and him and his mechanic could find anything rubbing or anything that looked like it was hitting. i looked at it my self and couldn't find anything. i've also played with the torision bar cross member and its not from there either. any ideas?

ace3
07-27-2005, 07:59 PM
Im so glad I found this thread, Ive been chasing this clunk for weeks now .Ive spent 800 on front end parts. I hope this solves my problem....

BlazerLT
07-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Im so glad I found this thread, Ive been chasing this clunk for weeks now .Ive spent 800 on front end parts. I hope this solves my problem....

Yea, this is what happened to me too.

Cailen
07-28-2005, 11:44 AM
I vote this gets stickied

BlazerLT
07-28-2005, 12:19 PM
You want me to sticky this?

blazee
07-28-2005, 12:41 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me.

blazee
07-28-2005, 04:09 PM
The TSB that is linked in the first post is outdated, here is the current one:

http://www.image-hosting.ws/direct/1659.jpg

http://www.image-hosting.ws/direct/1660.jpg

ace3
07-28-2005, 05:12 PM
I vote this gets stickied
Im so happy! This was my problem all along. $3.00 for two washers and problem solved . THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! This site ROCKS.....

Gary

mike01166
08-06-2005, 09:39 PM
is it possible that this same problem would happen in a 93' Jimmy. mines making the same noise describied by many here, and we check the ball joints and everything, and couldnt figure out what the hell it was.

BlazerLT
08-06-2005, 10:34 PM
Yip....

It could happen too.

Or it could be your torsion bar mounts.

mike01166
08-06-2005, 10:47 PM
Yip....

It could happen too.

Or it could be your torsion bar mounts.

ok thanks man your a huge help, ill take a look at it in the morning

mike01166
08-09-2005, 03:39 PM
it was neither torsion bar mounts or the hood.

one of the body mount rusted through, and the transfer case was hitting the body

metallica21156
08-09-2005, 03:45 PM
would it make a clunk when u started it and hit bumps but not when u powerbraked it?

mike01166
08-09-2005, 06:26 PM
**Update

We put the Jimmy up on the lift, and checked the mounts and while it was hanging on the lift, everything appeared fine.

We then saw the rusted hole in the body mount, so we wedged a peice of wood up in there to see if the noise stopped. Took it for a test drive, and sure enough the noise was still there.

My neighbor opened up the door and stuck his head down by the road, looking under the truck to see if he could pinpoint the problem. When we got back to the garage, he got down on his back, shoot torsion bar, and bam, it was torsion bar mounts, not the body mounts. It was driving us crazy, and finally we figured out the problem.

metallica21156
08-09-2005, 07:30 PM
how were you able to see that the mounts were what was causeing it. the only thing i could see on the one side it looked like it had hit the frame at one time but hasn't for a long time. like you could see the rust but it had been there for a long time. if you understand what i'm saying. i did however put rubber on both sides including where it had hit and it didn't do anything for it.

mike01166
08-09-2005, 07:36 PM
the rubber is warn out and you can see where the torsion bar was slamming into the metal frame above

BlazerLT
08-09-2005, 08:58 PM
the rubber is warn out and you can see where the torsion bar was slamming into the metal frame above

See, was I right or was I right......

:lol: ;)

mike01166
08-10-2005, 12:11 AM
ya man you were right.

my neighbor, whos been a mechanic his entire life says you have his respect, because he couldnt figure out what the hell it was, and if you didnt tell me it was the torsion bar mount, we would have not known what it was, and the car would probabley go to the junk yard.

BlazerLT
08-10-2005, 02:36 AM
ya man you were right.

my neighbor, whos been a mechanic his entire life says you have his respect, because he couldnt figure out what the hell it was, and if you didnt tell me it was the torsion bar mount, we would have not known what it was, and the car would probabley go to the junk yard.

Glad to have helped you.

Now go and enjoy your clunk-free truck.

Add your comment to this topic!