Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Shock Mounts Problem.

KrAzE
10-15-2004, 07:33 PM
Ok, Ive had a lincoln mark VII for a long time now. Its been my first car and I still love it. I recently got ahold of a prime condition Lincoln Mark VIII. 1994. Blue and wood grain int. Canvas top.. its nice. Upon testdriving I only found one problem with it. A noise in the back sounding like something was moving around.

Upon further investigation I found that on both sides of the car. The shock mounts are out of the holes. If you need pictures just ask, but basically. Its a Hole with a rubber gasket and some type of sealent. The hole holds the top of the shock in with this piece that is shaped like a two washers on a pipe, the one lower being slightly smaller so it will "pop" into the hole.
Now the thing came out of the hole and I want to put it back. Without it resting in the hole the shock has no pressure.. its just sitting on the airbags.

Is this a major problem? Can I still drive the car until I can get it fixed?

Any way I can fix it myself?

ONEBADMK8
10-15-2004, 08:28 PM
$42.00 a shock mount.
1 hour job in driveway with hand tools.
Will not hurt anything but your ears if you drive it like that.
VERY typical of the Mark VIII.

KrAzE
10-15-2004, 11:05 PM
Whew. Good to hear.

Ill get on that one asap.

Any other "common" problems I should look for?

In my mark VII the tranny went out (mostly my fault...) and I replaced the entire air ride system.. I currently dont have the car under any insurance.. but I still love it. :)

lincolnlad
09-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Anyone know who carries those mounts mentioned above? I've got a '97 Mark VIII with blown rear-upper mounts. No luck finding replacements.

Add your comment to this topic!