Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tailgate keeps popping open

de049
10-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi,

any ideas how i can sort this out?

Basically, i close the top rear tailgate on my 1983 Range Rover Classic, and the left side hatch pops open. I even push it in after locking the handle, and you can hear it pop out again. Its only on the left side. I have altered the placement of the steel rod onto which the tailgate clips on either aide, but its still the same. Any ideas?

p38arover
10-13-2004, 03:06 PM
First check that the LHS latch is staying locked under pressure. Open the tailgate and manually set the latch on the LHS to closed position. Then insert a screwdriver (ir similar into the part of the latch that locks to the fitting on the rear pillar and check that it stays locked under pressure. If it does, then you need to adjust the rods inside the bottom of the tailgate window frame to set the locking. If it doesn't, then you'll need to service the lock - maybe try cleaning and lubing it. It won't come off by unscrewing those big screws - it's connected to the rods inside the frame.

Ron

de049
10-14-2004, 01:16 AM
thanks for that. But, you say the lock wont come off by unscreewing the two large screws. Then how should i go about cleaning/lubbing it? Can I manage this without taking the lock off?

I doubt its the lock not holding coz on occassions i have applied pressure to the affected side after having locked the mechanism, and it clips into place. However, not long after, it will pop out again, as if something were pushing it out. When i push it into place, i feel a slight force pushing it out, nevertheless i have ensured nothing is out of place and causing this pressure, not even the lower tailgate.

At worst, could i just replace the latch on the affected side? Or would i have to replace the entire mechanism?

Many thanks for your time

p38arover
10-14-2004, 07:35 AM
To remove the lock will require disconnecting the rod inside the frame. Open the window and you'll notice there is a cover plate held on by screws. Remove this cover plate to gain access to the rods.

You can clean and lube the lock by spraying, say, WD40 in to loosen all the crud. Then spray the lock with aerosol spray grease. I assume you can buy it at your local parts store. It is readily available where I live (in Australia).

Yes, at worst you can replace just one side but I doubt you'll need to.

I've done this a few times on various other people's Rangies and never replaced a lock.

Ron

de049
10-14-2004, 08:24 AM
great mate,

will try it ASAP. Will let you know how it goes.

de049
10-18-2004, 04:36 AM
I have looked at the lock closely, and in fact, when i close it and try to release it with a screw driver it opens. So i guess thats the prob. I need a new latch for that side correct? The other one will not come open after prizing it with a s/driver. It stays locked until you press the button to release it.

Ebooters
11-01-2004, 05:36 PM
hi dont change latch yet open tailgate lock over both latches push lock button do both latches unlock at the same time if not remove lower covers you will find the rods that pull the latches these rods are adjustable let off lock nut on the latch that unlocks last adust rod till it comes off the same time as the other then see it that works

Add your comment to this topic!