Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Transaxle not covered...

RedSant
10-07-2004, 09:53 AM
...under Warranty.
Just dropped off my 2001 Santa Fe for a major front Transaxle leak. A known issue:
TSB 03-04-012 Dated 6/2003 that includes "All Models"
Not covered and Transaxle has to be replaced.
$3600.00
Apparently 100,000 Powertrain Warranty only covers engine and tranny.

illusion123a
10-07-2004, 11:53 AM
That sucks, i am assuming that you are over the bumper to bumper coverage? When i bought my accent I purchased the extra 10 year bumper to bumper

twospirits
10-07-2004, 01:28 PM
hmmm its actually TSB 03-40-012 (http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/iindex.asp?id=394889758#_394889758)
I'm looking over the actual Warranty Coverage document and it states the following...

Transaxle Case & All Internal Parts
1995-2004 05 years/060,000 miles
1999-2004 10 years/100,000 miles (Original Owner)

What is covered
Defects in factory workmanship or materials

What is not covered
Owner abuse
Lack of Maintenance
Improper Lubrication
Overheating
Damage to transaxle as a result of quick, repeated forward/reverse shifting-vehicle stuck in mud, snow, sand, etc

If your problem is exactly whats outlined in the TSB then it should be covered unless its over the 100,000 miles or if you did one of the above "what is not covered" items.

What are the reasons they are not covering it? Please list them.

TS out

RedSant
10-09-2004, 07:50 AM
Apparently the “Transaxle” is covered, the “Transfer Case” is not. The “Transfer Case” Is where it is leaking. The Transaxle is the Transmission I guess.

RedSant
10-10-2004, 11:52 AM
Hopefully pick up my car tomorrow. Been down for a week. The service writer at the dealer says they have replaced quite a few of these. What a bummer. My second but probably last Hyundai. Customer support at Hyundai was a little obnoxious. The lady was citing ancdotes about her Ford Explorer problems. Just what I wanted to hear.

smurthey
01-13-2006, 02:20 PM
The transfer case on my 2001 Santa Fe just went. Although still I’m still under the 10 year /100K miles powertrain warranty (68K miles), Hyundia does not consider the transfer case part of the powertrain. This is curious because the transfer case is what splits and delivers the power to the wheels. Even the service manager at my dealer thinks it should be covered under warranty.

Hyundia's Customer Affairs Department was no help, and they would not pass me on to anybody else.

I have contacted the Better Business Bureau and filed a complaint. I have also filed a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General. If anybody else is having this issue, I’ll post here once there’s a determination in the case.

This is unfortunate for Hyundia as I am in sales and I WAS constantly telling people how much I loved my Santa Fe. In fact, I WAS considering getting a 2007. That is no longer going to happen. My next automotive purchase will NOT be a Hyundia.

RedSant
01-15-2006, 08:18 AM
Oh...the story goes on. BTW, I need to change my name to SilverGrayPilot.
The new Tranfer Case/Transaxle or whatever the heck the part of the Drive Train that is not covered under the "Drive Train" warranty and costs $3000.00 to replace, sprung a leak in the exact same place! Fortunately the dealer covered this replacement under their 1 year warranty. Then the next day my AC compressor blew. $2500.00???? I think not! I headed straight to the Honda dealer and traded for a new Pilot. That was back in July '05. I too am in sales and see about 15 people a day who all ask what happened to my Santa Fe. That was my second but last Hyundai. Ask me about my Honda. Nice....

Add your comment to this topic!