Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Mazda Millenia auto tilt steering column

hartge1978
09-28-2004, 09:34 AM
I drive a 1998 Mazda Millenia. The auto tilt steering column is defective. It will tilt down with ease but it will only raise if I "help" it up. What do I remove to access the motor? The Chilton manual does not show how to expose the motor. I would imangine that the mechanism is sticking since the motor appear to work when raising the wheel. Thank you.

Mark37
10-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Tilt on my 98 millenia no longer goes down. Mazda dealer tells me motor can not be accessed. He says they need to replace the whole steering column which costs about $1200 not including labor. I began searching junk yards today for a column but have not had any luck.
Does Haynes have a manual?
Please keep me informed on what you find. If we aren't careful this could be a very expensive fix.

hartge1978
10-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Regarding your dealer informing you the tilt motor cannot be replaced without replacing the entire steering column..............I was told by the local Mazda dealer that it can be replaced and the cost is in the $400.00 area. Whereas I am not against the dealer replacing the tilt motor, I feel that since the tilt works in the "down" position and not in the "up" position, that the motor is good but that the gear mechanism is in need of either lubrication or adjustment. I am still looking for a member who can direct me on how to remove the motor assembly so that I can try fixing it.

Mark37
10-05-2004, 04:26 PM
I spoke with a person this AM who has changed the tilt motor before. He says all you need is needle nose vice grips to start each of the screws holding the motor in place. Once started, a stubby (1") or offset screw driver is needed. He suggested removing the motor and confirming what is defective, ie which gear, before buying any parts. The removed motor should not affect the driveability.
I will try removing the motor tomorrow if I have time. I'll keep you updated.

Add your comment to this topic!