Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Breaks i cant get the dums on!!

JimR
09-23-2004, 09:56 AM
ok i got a prob with getting the drums back on. the new breaks are in the way. but i cant get the breaks in far enoff the get the drum back. they are 8in drums. i know i get the right parts. there not damaged in anyway. im thinking of throwing back on the tires and taking it to a break shop but i dont want to do that.

ssei2
09-24-2004, 08:58 AM
ok i got a prob with getting the drums back on. the new breaks are in the way. but i cant get the breaks in far enoff the get the drum back. they are 8in drums. i know i get the right parts. there not damaged in anyway. im thinking of throwing back on the tires and taking it to a break shop but i dont want to do that.
hello,
Belive it or not contours do have two drum sizes thay should have ask you at the auto parts store witch one you had, lets asume you knew that there were two sizes. First off i would make shure that the old drums will also not fit. if thay will not eather you may want to see that you have the ebreak hooked up properly to the shoe and the the cable is not hung up on something under the car, and of course not on in the car. lol. and if you do deside to bring it in to be done make shure you don't try to use the breaks with out the drums and shoes in place. if you do it will blow your pistons right out of you wheel cylenders. hope i was of some help, best of luck.

ssei2
09-24-2004, 09:03 AM
I did forget to ask if you had you auto ajusters all the way down, please make shure that thay are. hope you get her working

JimR
09-24-2004, 12:53 PM
i got both sizes for the breaks once i found i had a parob. i got a deal to return the ones that are wrong.
yes i got a an autoajust on top only.
the ebreak is not on both in car or in the drum area.

ssei2
09-25-2004, 12:15 AM
Hi Jim, sorry my thoughts did not solve your problem . If you have not tried you may want to take the new brakes back off and then put them back on maybe something was just a little off. most drums do fot a little tight with new shoes instailed. the weird thing with the contour is thay ask about the drum size but the brakes have the same part number for both sises i belive. but i am shure the two drums are differnt. if it still wil not fit you must eather have the wrong parts or the ebreak or wheel cylender is keeping them open a littel bit. did you cheack to make shure that you had some slake in the ebrake cable under the car, i think ther might be a spring on it to keep down the slack but not shure if so you might what to unhook it while try the drum fit. it may sound as if i am rambaling on but one thing is for shure, it is just some weird little thing that is stopping you form being done. my bet is on ebreak. possably wrong parts. take it off and try again. best of luck

JimR
09-28-2004, 04:01 PM
haha i got it on the springs that came in with the breaks where not strongenoff they would not hold the breaks like they should have. i know this because i bought a new set and i got the breas on easy, well compared to what it was. im so releved to get them on now. thx for ur help.

Add your comment to this topic!