Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Yank Tanks?, No Thanks!!

Ion Pulse
09-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Only two-years ago(I think)cash strapped Daewoo.Motors was bought by motoring giant GM, now the Daewoo name is set to be lost forever. The Daewoo name was only used for cars in Asia and Europe, the rest of the Daewoo line-up was sold as a Suzuki or a Chevrolet everywhere else. Now GM are getting rid of the Daewoo name for ever in way of the Chevrolet name, in Europe and Asia, to gain a foothold and make Chevrolet more of a budge orientated brand. This puzzels me, just as Daewoo were making an image for them selves in Europe with stylish cars like the Kalos,Nubira SW and the Lacetti it is going to throw that away for a American brand which has the connotations of cheaply made gas guzzling, yank tanks. This certainly wont bode well in the UK especially with Chevrolets last efforts there being the shamefull Blazer and poor (but fun) Camero. GM has to seriously sort its self out, I cannot see the logic in there recent moves, probably to do with costs. Everything is going to pot for them at the moment.

VAD0R
12-09-2004, 10:56 AM
Don't worry about GM selling any "Yank Tanks" in Asia or Europe, marketing wise it is not prudent.

What they are probably going to do is what they did with Opel, Vauxhall and Olesmobile. Take the platforms plus engines and whore them out to the rest of their brand line up. Strange thing is I heard they are going to keep Daewoo and even re-release them in the US.

Euro19
12-09-2004, 02:08 PM
Yeah it might be cost cut stuff cause Daewoos in Europe are somehow sucessfull specially with new models as the Lacetti and Kalos, but with Chevrolet names over here, they predict even more sales and pull up Chevrolet gas guzzler image!! :P

Ion Pulse
02-03-2005, 01:51 AM
Don't worry about GM selling any "Yank Tanks" in Asia or Europe, marketing wise it is not prudent.

What they are probably going to do is what they did with Opel, Vauxhall and Olesmobile. Take the platforms plus engines and whore them out to the rest of their brand line up. Strange thing is I heard they are going to keep Daewoo and even re-release them in the US.

Don't be so sure, they are already planning to bring the Hummer H3 here, just what the world needs. The H3 is to be sold at Chevrolet dealers across-Europe and will undercut the Range Rover. Scary thought all these people taking their children to school in one of these.

I know what your saying though, Chevy's current European range is just re-hashed Daewoo's. There even developing a new SUV and City Car specifically for Europe and Asia called the S3X and M3X(Matiz Replacement), the S3X will be powered with a range of GM Multijet diesels and the M3X will get engines from the Fiat Panda including the fab new 1.3litre diesel. I am also impressed of the sight of the Lacetti Sport, which went on sale in the UK last week powered with the top-1.8litre engine and features sporty suspension and styling looks really good compared with the bland Daewoo products. There is also a hot Kalos(Aveo) planned to be powered with 150hp 2.0litre....need I say more, I take back what I said earlier GM are really trying to meet the needs of the European customer and I can see it all falling into place.

Add your comment to this topic!