Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

diy painting

hanman06
09-18-2004, 06:28 PM
Hey,
I'm thinking about painting a rear fender on my Accord after I repair some minor rust. I have access to an airless spray gun to paint, but no access to a real spray booth. Does anyone have any links or suggestions on painting a car in your garage/driveway, as well as info on how to get a good finish? Any help is great,
Thanks
Mike

Beastiek2
09-18-2004, 06:44 PM
Yes painted my whole body kit, spoiler, trunk and hood myself in my garage. Cleaned the area removed everything bought clear sheets of plastic (painters plastic) from home depot. Hung it from the ceiling, down making a sqaure enclosed area for me to paint. Dont have any fans blowing cause it will only blow dust on your paint. Repair your rust sand it down prime it and paint it a few times then throw a clear coat on. It wont be factory, but if you do it right it comes out dame near. My link in my sig has my old car I painted..-good luck

hanman06
09-18-2004, 09:43 PM
Thanks for your advice. I was just wondering if you used an aerosol can or a compressed air spray gun? Also, would I have to paint the whole panel or just the area where I fixed the rust? Thanks again.

Beastiek2
09-19-2004, 11:13 AM
The whole panel so the paint blends. You wanna use a gun on things like that an aerosol can will look shi**y.

Markgase2000
09-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Theres aeresol paints that work just as well as using a professional paint gun. The product line is called Dupli-Color the cans have a buetiful spray tip that puts the paint on nice and evenly and since its the same type of paint the car was factory painted it blends well when doing portional touch ups or whole panels. Unless you got alot of skill with blending paint and polishing I would definately paint the whole panel. Sherwin Williams has the patent on these paint match products. I use it when doing metal finish repairs on our lot vehicles that were previously bagged I dont paint entire portions i just touch it up with the product and put clear coat on it. Its alot cheaper than buying equiptment and requires less prepping and does not require a booth simple news paper to and masking tape is all you need. Dont do it outside cus the wind could make it messy.

Beastiek2
09-19-2004, 02:09 PM
Could end up being cheaper to have it done at a shop - If you were to buy the gun/compressor/paint.
I wouldnt trust aeresol cans on the exterior parts of the car, I have no experience with that.

Xesss
09-20-2004, 09:33 AM
water down teh floor before painting to reduce the chances of dust getting on the paint. from what i heard.

Hilikus Funkin
09-23-2004, 10:34 PM
aerosol cans arent that bad, you just have to be good with them. And i think duplicolor isnt that good. Krylon is the way to go, even though they dont have exact matches. Duplicolor is alright, but it isnt as smooth as Krylon.

Markgase2000
09-24-2004, 09:05 AM
Dupli Colors exact match is very good they use the exact same paint in the can as they did on the car in the factory , not many folks realize this but sherwin williams paint is excellent stuff and was used widely in the auto manufacturing industry. The years available are from 2002 and under for most makes and models (exact match line) but for newer they changed to another paint line up.

gearsforbrains
12-15-2004, 11:51 PM
if you use aerasol clear coat and do about 5 coats can u buff an aerasol clear coat..?

psychorallyfreak
12-18-2004, 05:42 PM
Krylon over Dupli-Color? I don't think so.
I've had experience with both, and Dupli-Color lays it down SO much better.
The ONLY positive I can think of for Krylon is that it dries in 12 minutes...

Add your comment to this topic!