Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Geo Tracker front-end groaning/rubbing noise!

Kyofu
08-28-2004, 08:54 PM
I have a bit of a mystery. My 95 Geo Tracker 4WD makes a groaning/rubbing noise in the front right side whenever I make a left turn. The noise sounded like the tire was rubbing against something but it is not. The sound only happens when making a left turn. It dose not make it on right turns and interesting not in reveres. I took it to a local garage and they replaced the wheel bearings in both front wheels. The problem stopped for about three weeks but is back again. My thought is that the manual hub on the side is not dis/engaging fully and that is causing the problem. It also seems that the front end is not pulling that hard in 4WD. As a test I tried making a full post turn in 4WD on a pretty hard surface. I fell the front pulling a bit but it should have stalled when I tried that.

Any ideas! Thank you in advance for your time.

PaulQ
08-28-2004, 09:58 PM
had almost the same problem except mine was more of a screeching sound, started out only on turns but eventually happened everytime i drove. turned out one of the hubs needed to be replaced. $120 CDN used and installed.

Kyofu
09-04-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. I did some more checking around and found that the strut on the right side is shot. There is oil leaking form the top under the boot. I'm not convinced that the hubs aren't having a problem yet, but the strut would explain the groaning sound when I make a left and put stress on the right side.

mluvstools
01-23-2005, 05:17 PM
I have a bit of a mystery. My 95 Geo Tracker 4WD makes a groaning/rubbing noise in the front right side whenever I make a left turn. The noise sounded like the tire was rubbing against something but it is not. The sound only happens when making a left turn. It dose not make it on right turns and interesting not in reveres. I took it to a local garage and they replaced the wheel bearings in both front wheels. The problem stopped for about three weeks but is back again. My thought is that the manual hub on the side is not dis/engaging fully and that is causing the problem. It also seems that the front end is not pulling that hard in 4WD. As a test I tried making a full post turn in 4WD on a pretty hard surface. I fell the front pulling a bit but it should have stalled when I tried that.

Any ideas! Thank you in advance for your time.

i had that problem on my 95 tracker-took apart the hubs and cleaned all the dirt and rust off with a wire wheel on bench grinder and greased all parts for reassembly, works great now with no noises. try it!!!

Add your comment to this topic!