Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

shaking wheel when above 60 mph

illusion123a
08-19-2004, 12:15 AM
SO today i noticed that my steeerling wheel shakes when i go above 60 mph,
any ideas what coulb be causing this? I just got an allignment about 2
months ago. It shakes pretty bad, and is very visable when I take my hands
off the wheel.

nippjas
08-19-2004, 08:34 AM
What kind of car...There are a few threads going on this in the Elantra forum.

Jason

twospirits
08-19-2004, 09:38 AM
According to his profile it states Accent.

Some Santa Fe members also have calimed to experienced this and that I know of, nothing has been resolved except for doing a wheel alighment.
Hopefully a TSB will come out that will fix the customers concerns.
TS out

nippjas
08-19-2004, 10:22 AM
Hopefully a TSB will come out that will fix the customers concerns.

Well...technically...TSB # 01-50-008 "Tire and Wheel Vibration and Radial Force Variation" is listed for the Elantra and Accent...

Jason:smokin:

illusion123a
08-19-2004, 10:53 AM
ok whats a TSB?
i just took my car to get the tires balanced. I did just have an alignment about 2 months ago when my car was in an accident, and the car seemed to do fine when i dorve to the beach right after i got it back from the shop, so this shaking thing is a new issue

illusion123a
08-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Well i just got the call back, my wheels are balanced but he said that my rims are bent (both front), what would cause this? I am a pretty good/ non-carzy driver. So how much can i expect to shell out for this one, i am guiessing that its not under warrenty? i have an accent with 37k

nippjas
08-19-2004, 11:12 AM
ok whats a TSB?
i just took my car to get the tires balanced. I did just have an alignment about 2 months ago when my car was in an accident, and the car seemed to do fine when i dorve to the beach right after i got it back from the shop, so this shaking thing is a new issueTSB= Technical Service Bulletin.

OK since you have been in a crash....Here's my 2 cents...You say you already went the balancing approach...did you check to see that they didn't just stick a 25 ounce weight on the wheel to compensate for an out of round rim condition?

Having spent alot of time at Blackhawk Farms, Road America, and Grattan creating issues like this…and having to replace almost all of these items at one time or another…I would inspect the following points…Not necessarily in this order…

*Wheels
*Alignment (four wheel a good shop will put 200lbs worth of sand bags in the driver seat to verify and correct for camber)
*Camber/Caster offsets (You can buy a gauge for about $25)
*Extreme Toe In/Out (Same gauge as above)
*Tie-rods (Are they damaged, loose, or bent)
*Control arms (Are they damaged, loose, or bent)
*Control arm bushings
*Steering rack (Damaged, loose, or bent)
*Trailing arms (Are they damaged, loose, or bent)
*Trailing arm bushings (Jack rear of car, grab hold of the trailing arm and see if you have Y axis movement)
*Subframe mounts/bushings
*CV joints and axels (Are they damaged, loose, or bent)
*Wheel bearings (Are they damaged or have too much slop) Check this by jacking up your car…grab the wheel at top and bottom and see if you have to and fro movement…
*Rotors (Are they warped or otherwise damaged)

I know what ending up on top of a 2’ concrete barrier can do to a car, as such I am only offering places to look…I wouldn’t run out and replace all these items…most of these items should be very easy for you to check yourself…just ask if you have any other questions.

Jason

nippjas
08-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Well i just got the call back, my wheels are balanced but he said that my rims are bent (both front), what would cause this? I am a pretty good/ non-carzy driver. So how much can i expect to shell out for this one, i am guiessing that its not under warrenty? i have an accent with 37k
You could be the best driver ever...but if the wheels were garbage to start...and you frequently see pot holes as most of us do...It happens and there's little you can do to really prevent it.

In the Elantra forum a couple of our neighbors to the North had some extreme vibration issues...Hyundai Canada put a recall on the very cheap thin gauge steel wheels on the VE model Elantra...They chose to replace the cheap wheels with yet another set of cheapies that Hyundai gave them and had the problem occur again...I don't have any issues...If you can save between $500 on cheap side and about $1,200 on the median side...you can replace you wheels with a superior quality wheel and tire. You could enhance the looks of your car while improving ride, handling, and traction quality. If your car is out of warranty...in no recommendation of mine would you be urged to replace a factory wheel and tire with another factory wheel and tire...remember the factory has cost containment targets and is not going to use premium anything without passing the cost onto the consumer.

Jason

illusion123a
08-19-2004, 12:25 PM
my car is in warreny, so should i expect this to be covered?

nippjas
08-19-2004, 12:40 PM
my car is in warreny, so should i expect this to be covered?
Can you get this replaced under warranty?...If you know the right people to talk to, (A typical CSR can't help with this), and you have a strong backbone and are up to a challenge....maybe....if they connect the dots and relate it to a car accident...no chance. If the damage is connected to a car accident you could pursue your insurance company for replacement...however a lot of people setup their policy with $500 deductibles and some carriers will even increase your premiums after a claim. It could very well be cheaper to go to Discount Tire Direct or Tire Rack and buy your own wheels and tires...

800-633-5151 (5:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m. PST) Find a CSR supervisor...

Good Luck,
Jason

illusion123a
08-19-2004, 01:34 PM
are accent rims steel or aluminum

twospirits
08-19-2004, 02:17 PM
Thanks nippjas for posting that TSB for illusion. I could not get into Webtech from work today for some reason.

BTW for those that do not know, the TSBs for any of the Hyundai vehicles are available at the online Hyundai Technical website called Hyundai Webtech (http://www.hmaservice.com/webtech/default.asp). Just select from the drop down boxes your model, its year and the engine you have and you will get a slew of TSBs for it.

TS out

nippjas
08-19-2004, 02:38 PM
are accent rims steel or aluminum

If you have hub caps...usually steel...If you have an Accent GT with the fancy alloys...they are a hybrid aluminum.

Jason

Add your comment to this topic!