Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Camaro front end for disc brake conversion

Tempest1968
08-12-2004, 11:58 PM
I have a question. Can a third gen camaro front end fit under a 1968 Tempest. I just want the disc brakes. Any info would be of help.

hotrod_chevyz
02-12-2005, 10:03 PM
no you need to go with a secong gen cause its an actual complete subframe that bolts to the unibody where the third gen subframes are electric welded to the body.

MrPbody
02-14-2005, 12:25 PM
The second gen stuff won't fit, either, without significant modification. The brakes from a '69-'72 A-body or GP, Rivvy and Monte Carlo will fit without modification.

hotrod_chevyz
02-16-2005, 04:20 PM
i think he wants the sub frame pbody,ya know quick ratio steering like most people do.i have several for sale,78-79 sub frames complete.The most popular sub frames for upgrading cars with drum brakes is the mustang II and the second gen camero/firebirds.

Those 68 tempest steer like a barge,drum brakes suck,and if he goes ahead and subs it now,maybe he can get parts for it later when it needs a center link or lower A-frames.

hotrod_chevyz
02-16-2005, 04:36 PM
but for simplicity your right they did sell cars around the same year with disks but finding the parts and maintaining them for years becomes a costly pain in the hind quarters.

MrPbody
02-17-2005, 08:50 AM
I agree, grafting in a subframe from a '70-'77 T/A would be a good thing. Not trivial. Be sure to have a qualified frame shop line it up before welding it in. We did that to a '66 GTO a few years ago. Worked well. The WS-6 steering and brakes made that GTO act like a 2nd gen T/A.
Master Power makes a conversion "kit" for the A-body, to use the Delco-Morraine system. It's complete, and very good. About $900. Probably a bit less money in the long run. Ames Performance offers the WS-6 steering box in an A-body flavor, too. So I suppose, 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other...

hotrod_chevyz
02-17-2005, 10:11 AM
unless hes planning on doing a resto thats the way i would go but if you can get a whole new disk setup or system for less than 1,000 and keep the original frame,i might go for that.But it would have to come with the quick ratio steering tho.Im a sucker for how the camaros steer.That and the 79 monte carlos.I had a 79 monte carlo that steered better than my firebird.and it was on some mismatched junkie 14 inch steel wheels and maypop tires.

theodora3DUsher
11-02-2018, 11:23 AM
Did anything ever happen with this? Did you find the parts you were looking for?

Let me know if I can help, we 3D print classic car parts, from both plastic, composites, & (most) metals.

Add your comment to this topic!