Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tail lights and dashboard lights out!!

Nildey
08-11-2004, 10:57 AM
Hey all!

I have a 2001 Civic and the dashboard lights and tail lights both went out simultaneously. I checked the fuses they are fine. Anybody know the source of this problem?

I appreciate your help! Thanks!

megaman277
08-11-2004, 11:02 AM
its a fuse...i had the same problem...what u wanna check is that one of your headlights or corners doesnt have a wire that is grounding out...but i think its a 10 (red) fuse thats blown...your probably gonna have to pull the fuses again and check

Shaguar47
08-11-2004, 01:46 PM
Yeah, check every last one carefully. Some times the fuse won't break at the center where they're suppose too but at the ends and in the parts of the plastic you can't see.

Also, maybe a wire touched the cars frame and fried the lights. It' happened to me when installing my new cd player.

emerge
08-11-2004, 02:17 PM
my money's on the fuse.

one time i blew the fuse to my turn signals. i took it to the shop so they could test the fuse and they said it was fine. so they ordered me a whole new turn signal unit, which costed me 180$. they put it in, and failed to test it. when i get in my car, my turn signals still don't work. they go out to my car to check the fuses AGAIN. guess what. the whole time it was a blown fuse. needless to say, i was pissed.

so check your fuses again.

Nildey
08-11-2004, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, I'll check the fuses again tonight and let you know if it worked...

Nildey
08-12-2004, 10:38 AM
OK so it was the fuse. For future reference, the manual calls the fuse for tail lights and dashboard lights "small light". Its a 15A BLUE fuse. Thanks for all your comments. Hope this helps other people in the future.

Jas_M
08-12-2004, 11:09 AM
my money's on the fuse.

one time i blew the fuse to my turn signals. i took it to the shop so they could test the fuse and they said it was fine. so they ordered me a whole new turn signal unit, which costed me 180$. they put it in, and failed to test it. when i get in my car, my turn signals still don't work. they go out to my car to check the fuses AGAIN. guess what. the whole time it was a blown fuse. needless to say, i was pissed.

so check your fuses again.

I hope you got your $180 back since the shop messed up to begin with.

Nildey
08-16-2004, 10:56 AM
Sorry to dig this up again, but the fuse keeps popping. I know this means that there is something wrong in the electrical system, but I'm hoping maybe somebody knows the exact location of the problem, since it's only that one fuse breaking every time. I appreciate your help, thanks!

Shaguar47
08-16-2004, 11:05 AM
I still say something is not grounded right. Have you done anything to the car at all. Stereo, lights, switches for accessorys? If not, then you might have to take it to the honda dealer nearby.

Nildey
08-16-2004, 11:11 AM
I haven't done anything to the car electric wise. I guess I'll check the wiring the the tail lights. Maybe I can find the grounded wire.

monee
08-16-2004, 02:05 PM
damm... I thought I'd have first on this.. I saw the subject and was like... Ohh, Ohh, I know what it is. It is the fuse... because I just recently had the same problem... and it is the "small lights"... Weird thing was... althought they had died, the tail lights would still work only when your ignition is not on (off). Thought I'd be the first to have a say in it... aHaHha, sucks!!

paintchips52
01-02-2005, 10:21 PM
I'm having the same problem right now with a 92' Honda Civic HB DX. I hit a puddle of water and my instrument panel fuse blew! I do now have wheel wells to protect my engine from splashing water. I pulled out all of my lights, but still couldn't find the source of the problem! All I found was a little moisture. It's a 10 A red fuse. I've gone through 8 10 A fuses already. I wasted two 15 A fuses cause they blew. Three 20 A fuses because they blew.... what should I do?

civicblumagik021
01-03-2005, 12:52 AM
im not trying to be an asshole but try getting wheel wells...

polacek
01-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Are you sure you are using the correct light for the socket? Some taillights require a bulb that combines brake and night lights (two filaments in one bulb). If you get a bulb that only has one filament, it will most likely blow the fuse.

paintchips52
01-05-2005, 05:24 AM
Turns out that my cd player had a grounded wire that caused the fuse to blow. The cd player was, of course, the last place I checked because I thought that the problem was under the hood. I bought a sensor at checkers auto parts that helped melocate this problem. I plugged it into the fuse and waved the other part of it around the car and located the problem. I spent $80 on it. If not, make friends with a mechanic who might have it.... a 12 pk. of Budweiser should motivate him!

miket87
08-02-2015, 12:00 AM
Hello Everyone, I'm Mike I need some help my 02 honda civic LX "small lights" 15a fuse keeps popping inside the fuse box under my hood it just started doing it a few days ago i've already replaced the fuse like 4 times every time I go to turn them on the damn fuse blows anyone know why I haven't messed with my wiring except when I let the audio guy rewire my stereo about 2 months ago, could that be an issue. Please if any one can help let me know? Thanks

04Echo
08-19-2015, 06:38 AM
megaman277 already gave u the correct info. It's a red 10A fuse... Not 15, or 20.

Add your comment to this topic!