Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Coolant Leakage

docrogers
08-09-2004, 04:56 PM
I'm new to front wheel drive. So here's the prob. Irecently had to replace the rad fan in wifes 91 3.0 V6 acclaim. Everything was fine for 1 day. On her way home from work It overheated. When I cheked it out I found it low on coolant. Started it up and added coolant and replaced cap and on a whim looked under the car.Yep, leak. This is where I need help. I know the water pump is inside the timing cover but it is leaking from between the firewall and the engine on psngr side. I can't see anything from the top cuz it's so cramped. Anyone have any ideas? :banghead:

yogi_123rd
08-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Check the hoses going to your heater.

coalminer
01-05-2005, 03:27 PM
The water pump is driven by the timing belt and is directly under the intake manifold, and it is a pain to get to and replace. If you do replace it, replace the timing belt also as that is an interference engine.

From where you are saying you see the water, sounds like the pump may be the cause, also there is the pipe that comes from the back of the water pump that might be rusted out and leaking, it is only held in place by 2 of the engine/transmission bolts, and then just pulls out of the back of the the pump, there is only an O ring on the end that goes into the pump.

Add your comment to this topic!