Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

flammable 'fourteens'

08-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Although they don't rival the late Ford Pinto as incendiary devices, 914s do seem to have slightly higher propensity for fires than other cars. Part of the problem is that they are around 25 years old and things like rubber and plastic fuel lines tend to decay and leak over the years. Having a battery perched on a tray hovering over the engine and a high pressure (about 28.5 psi) fuel systtem adds more volatility to the situation. Some cars were also delivered with faulty fuel lines when new. Porsche issued a safty recal on these cars but who knows how many of these cars were ever brought in to be repaired. It may not be a bad idea to check your car's VIN with the list that your local dealer should be able to access to see if your car qualifies for this fix.
When replacing the fuel lines in your car, it's important to use the high quality materials. Redoing the plastic lines that run through the car with stainless steel lines is an upgrade that can be carried over to the engine compartment. Make sure that whatever hose you buy can handle the high pressure of the fuel injection. It's a good idea to disconnect the battery for safety's sake when working with fuel lines.

10-18-2004, 06:59 PM
No rebuttal here. When we were restoring my fathers 74 914, we had to do a LOT of interior rewelding, not knowing that there were plastic fuel lines running through the tunnel hump. When we first tested the engine with fuel injection, we got gallons of fuel pouring out of the interior. (we moved the fuel pump/filter to under the tank as was done in 75-76). After a lot of four letter words, we ran 2 3/8" copper lines under the car inside the rocker panel cover. That was 10 years ago and to this day, they are still holding up fine.

10-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Oh, and the battery was moved to the rear trunk, it got it out of the hotter engine bay and out of the rain.

01-05-2005, 11:48 AM
I owned a 1971 914 and goes what...shortly after I sold it to a good friend... It caught fire and burned... totally... :o(

01-31-2005, 02:11 PM
83, the copper lines will last quite a while if well amintained. Good work.

08-03-2005, 03:57 PM
The main reason these babies burn is the battery acid dripping down on the injector lines. When the lines are compromised the fuel sprays onto a hot motor and Kaboom! If fuel dripped, it would be more likely to runoff the motor. But when it sprays, it turns to a gas and is extremely prone to violent combustion. Fuel leaking under the car and not on the motor is dangerous but much less dangerous than leaking on the exhaust. We would create a battery box out of fiberglass to prevent this drainage of acid into the engine compartment. I believe you can buy battery boxes from the hot rod parts distributors today.
Consider it,

Add your comment to this topic!