Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

86 honda 250

94tegRS
08-04-2004, 03:01 AM
ok, a guy I know got this bike as a basket case wiht a rebuilt engine, and he put it all together and it runs great, and I can have it for 500 bucks, is that a good deal? how was the suspension back in 86? my dad had a old 75 i think 250, and the suspension didnt have much travel but it had enoug power for me, is 86 a mono shock yet? I am really thinking of getting this cuz I have wanted a dirt bike for a long time (yes ive ridden them lots befoe so dont worry about that) and I really wanna get a new 250 2 stroke but I dont got the money for that right now.

94tegRS
08-12-2004, 01:16 AM
he got it home today and its pretty nice, runs good, my neighbor is goint ot tuime the compression release cuz it doesnt let go at the right time so it kinda kicks back at your foot, hes also gonna adjust the carb, adjust the valves, just do some regular maintanence and whatnot, then were taking it to the mountain and riding it, his kid might want it, hes got a 84 xr100 now, but I think hell keep his 100. I am thikning of selling my civivc though and keeping the truck and getting wither a 90's+ 250 2 stroke or ghet financing and go for a 450 like the CRF or YZF

hotwheelsgt
08-17-2004, 04:04 PM
buy it. it should be fun to play around on but nothing serius

94tegRS
08-17-2004, 04:53 PM
well, it was running good but the other day it wouldnt start and he checked it and pinpointd the problem to be the ignition so a new coil and CDI unit are in the mail for it and then he is gonna sell it I think. his kid rode it and wanted it, but after the problem it had right now the guy just wants to ditch it. I know him good enough to where I dont thikn hed sell it to me if he knew something major was gonna go wrong. but I am looking at a 87 KX500 that is over in less than a day and Id have to ship it from ohio but its only at 450 right now. runs but the guy cant start it, he has to give it a pull start, maybe hes just not got to power to kick it over?

hotwheelsgt
08-17-2004, 05:04 PM
if your gonna be doing trail riding a 500 is not good idea. and the kx i know someone with a 500 and he has to kick it like 20 time and its real hard they have a lot of compresson and you just have to know your bike you have to know how much gas to give it when starting it and ond al kinds of difrent things. my friend would lean his over till the gas came out of the overflow then he knew ther was gas in the carb then he tried to start it but it does take a long time and it is hard but $400 would be a bad deal tho you could pute some money in it and it would probly be a good bike

94tegRS
08-17-2004, 06:32 PM
oh yeah, im sue its a tough one to kick over, but I got the power. lol. at least I think I could do it. not sure though, my legs are pretty strong but I dont got alot of weight behind the kick, I only weigh 160.

when they are in good condiiton though they shoudl start right away wouldnt they, when its tuned up and everything like electronics and whatnot are functioning properly. I know my old bike used to not even start from a kick EVER until you get it going through a few push starts. then once its warm it would fire right up, well me and my dad took out the battery and all theat crap and modified the ignition to run off the magneto and ever since then it fired up no later than the 2nd kick. and this is when we always cleaned the air filter, kept clean oil in there, ran the gas out of the carb after every ride, and kept good care of it, my cousin now has it and doesnt do a thing to it and now its back to its old routine almost, takes like 25 kicks to start it.

panzer dragoon
10-30-2004, 10:49 PM
the 86 Honda CR250 were great reliable bikes. But is almost 20yrs old know. If its all complete $500 is a good deal for a bike in good condition. Stay away from bikes that need alot of work because the costs can be high and often you are better off buying a newer better bike in the $1000-1500 range. The highest rated 250 of that year and 1985-1987. You can always find the parts at your Honda shop also.

The 87 KX500 were great baja type high speed bikes. Kawasaki's of that age really start to fall apart, but the KX500 was made a little better than the KX125 and KX250. I wouldn't buy a rough condition Kawasaki KX.

Both are good bikes and good years.

RoostRider
11-02-2004, 12:25 AM
The KX 500 can be a handfull for a guy who tips the scales at a scant 160... I know this because thats what I weigh... I'm a pretty good rider, but I wouldn't want that thing on anything but dunes.

Add your comment to this topic!