Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Oil Leaks on a 89'

ccarver
07-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Hey guys, I am new, but I signed on for a ?.

I am having a bad oil leak in the valley of the motor. I did not read anywhere that anyone on here has one this old. I can only hope that some one on here is a mech. I will tare down the top of the motor in a couple of weeks, I am just looking for some insite to the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance.
ccarver

RedRhinoProducts
09-21-2004, 08:48 AM
Solution,

- Buy 1 large cargo mat, the rubber kind with grooves.
- Place on driveway.
- Park Range Rover on top off rubber mat.
- Empty rubber mat daily. If too much oil leaks replace rubber mat with large bucket.

:) Serisouly though, the seals on these have a tendancy to break down. What do you mean the vally of the motor? Is it coming from the oil pan, rear seal, etc? 9 out of 10 times ATF leaks from the box and blows back and can be misstaken for oil and also check the pressure switch located on the oil filter housing these go bad and oil passes by.

Just my .02

Check out www.get-rhino.com (http://www.get-rhino.com) we need the exposure.

glenncof
09-24-2004, 05:00 PM
I second, Are sure sure it's motor oil ?

I have 1991 RR with 169K miles on it, no oil leaks.

Power Steering box is notorious for leaking.
(Joke, if it isn't leaking ...probably empty.)

I'm starting to get a few drips off the oil and transmission cooler hoses.
(of course these are REALLY expensive to replace).

Check source carefully ..may be something dumb like loose filter or a replacable gasket on the pan or oil pump.

ccarver
09-27-2004, 04:56 AM
I second, Are sure sure it's motor oil ?

I have 1991 RR with 169K miles on it, no oil leaks.

Power Steering box is notorious for leaking.
(Joke, if it isn't leaking ...probably empty.)

I'm starting to get a few drips off the oil and transmission cooler hoses.
(of course these are REALLY expensive to replace).

Check source carefully ..may be something dumb like loose filter or a replacable gasket on the pan or oil pump.

Yes, Oil it is. It turns out that RR used a GM motor around the years of the 89'. This particular GM motor has a Metal gasket that covers the entire lifter valley. This metal gasket had rusted through, I have replaced it and the oil leak is fixed. I have also updated all of the Powersteering componets, to newer, not leak prone versions. I hope this helps someone in the future.

ccarver

glenncof
09-27-2004, 10:40 AM
Yea, it might help me...in two years my vehicle will be the age of yours.

What type of climate has your '89 been in and how many miles ?

ccarver
09-27-2004, 04:58 PM
Yea, it might help me...in two years my vehicle will be the age of yours.

What type of climate has your '89 been in and how many miles ?
All of its poor life has been in a South Louisiana climate. Aside from having no power, it has been a good truck. I think it is around 85K on it now. Still gets only 10-11 mpg. I wish I could fix that, but after tune up, plugs, wires, O2 sensors, fixing all the leaks and keeping it good and clean. Still no improvements on mpg, so I quit. I will just drive it.

Good luck on yours.

ccarver

glenncof
09-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Just put the transfer case in HIGH !!! (just kidding)

2001-2002 mileage was 13.8 mpg, 2003 - 14.4 mpg

Add your comment to this topic!