Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

More seat stuff! Q's.

ChuckH
01-31-2002, 03:25 AM
Anyone know if the seat brackets are the same for the Frontier and Xterra? Corbeau lists Frontier brackets but not Xterra on their website.

These are the seats I'm seriously looking at right now.

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/351334targa_RS.jpg

xoc
01-31-2002, 07:04 AM
They may be different, since the Xterra has more room inside, and the seats would go back further.

Are you actually getting the 5-point seats, or a similar model ?

ChuckH
01-31-2002, 09:01 AM
I don't intend to put in a harness since that would require a partial cage of some sort behind the seat to hold them, so I've emailed Corbeau to see if the seats are compatible with standard belts. They have a standard sport seat that i actually like a little better, but it doesn't come in a "wide" option like the Targa seat does. If I were to lose about 80 lbs it wouldn't be an issue, but since I've been trying to do that for years and it's not working, I'll just go for the wide ass seat! I also asked Corbeau about the brackets and hope to hear from them today sometime.

This one would be cool in your truck!

http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/723295carrera_yellow.jpg

rhombus
01-31-2002, 11:05 AM
I would love the yellow...until I spilt my Starbucks all over it :)

Schludwiller
01-31-2002, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by rhombus
I would love the yellow...until I spilt my Starbucks all over it :)

Or crapped your pants going down Black Bear. ;)

PlatnumToof
01-31-2002, 01:09 PM
You can use a regular seatbelt with either of those seats.

I would think that the Frontier brackets would be the same as the X's. You may have to swap rails though or drill new holes. Shouldn't be much of a problem.

Goliath the X
01-31-2002, 06:11 PM
Sweet seats Chuck!!!

What material are they finished in? Whats the price tag on those babies?

rrdstarr
01-31-2002, 06:16 PM
Too much yellow! Thought I would neversay that, but I'd like just the centers and maybe some piping! As grubby as I used yo get and work....they'd be trashed in a month!

ChuckH
02-01-2002, 12:26 AM
Corbeau didn't really help much with fitment other than to say that I would have to measure my floorpan to see if the brackets would work in the Xterra. WOuld have been helpful if they had given me the dimensions of the brackets so i would know what I'm measuring for!

I'm not sure what type of fabric is used. The seats will run about $350 each plus about $100 for the mounting kits.

Today, I talked to me in-house seat guru. My boss use to race pro ralley and has had or tried just about every seat ever made. After talking to him extensively and after sitting in a very similar Recaro today, I have decided that shape won't work very well on a daily basis. Greg told me that having those big wings on the side that have very little padding would beat the crap out of me on the trail, resulting in bruises and pain. After sitting in one like that I have to say it's not all that comfortable to bein with because they push your shoulders forward and I can totally see now what he was talking about. They'd be great in a car for track events and such, but just aren't practical for daily use, IMO. And Rrdstarr wants to put racing buckets in his truck!

So, back to where I started! I sat in a Recaro today that I liked, but it was $800 without the brackets and they are another $200!!! :( It did have a pullout extension for leg support though, which I really, really like. The Recaro SE isn't bad. It's their cheapest seat. It was pretty comfortable, but didn't have the extension or anything. That would run about $450 plus the brackets and stuff. I may do a set of those if I can't find something I like better for less money.

I'm still going to see if an upholstery shop can make my factory seats more supportive. I think it can be done...it's just a matter of translating to them what I want. I will try more seats too. I do really like the looks of the Corbeau, but I don't want to be in pain when I wheel. If that's what I wanted I'd stick with what I have!

Goliath the X
02-01-2002, 05:55 AM
I sat in one of the Corbeau seats like you first pictured that was coved in black leather. At the time I thought it was very comfortable and very supportive. I like the fact that the seat was so confining. I considered getting these for my 5.0 Mustang, but couldn't afford them when in college. Of course at the time I was about 6'0" and about 145 lbs, which might have had something to do with it. I don't remember the side supports putting any uncomfortable pressure on my shoulders.

ChuckH
02-01-2002, 09:16 AM
Well, the shoulder wing wasn't really uncomfortable; atleast not at first. I stayed in the seat for quite awhile and it eventually became a little bothersome, but not really uncomfortable. If I had a sports car I would be less worried about getting something like that since most of the transitions are smooth (or should be!), I could see how it might become bothersome on the trail. I'm going to try and find a local dealer that carries that particular seat so I can try it out. I'm kind of a big guy though, so most of the aftermarket seats are going to pinch me somewhere. I just have to keep searching! One thing's for sure...you never want to buy a seat without trying it first!

Maybe I should go into the seat business and build comfortable seats for guys like me?

PlatnumToof
02-01-2002, 01:16 PM
Do Pathfinder seats or Infiniti seats offer more padding? That may be a better way to go. Although they may be an inch lower or so.

You can get them cheap at a junkyard.

Schludwiller
02-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by ChuckH
If I had a sports car I would be less worried about getting something like that since most of the transitions are smooth (or should be!), I could see how it might become bothersome on the trail.

I think that's a valid concern. I remember how sore my shoulder/neck was from the seatbelt strap in Moab. Those bumps don't seem like much, but if you consider how many times you get knocked around in your seat in a day of offroading, it could be a painfull and expensive lesson.

rrdstarr
02-08-2002, 05:19 PM
I just got a front and rear set of Wet Okole seat covers today! They were Snarl's and are in Excellent condition! I think they have about 1/2 - 3/4 " paading in the bottoms and backs? So I don't think I will need seats for a long time! I'll put up a pic tomorrow of them! :) :) :)

rrdstarr
02-08-2002, 06:37 PM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/675512WetOkole.jpg

rrdstarr
02-08-2002, 06:39 PM
http://files.automotiveforums.com/uploads/483217WetOkoleb.jpg

ToeJam
02-08-2002, 10:51 PM
Those look great! My Nissan ones are getting pretty nasty, and washing them doesn't clean them up like it used to.

<sigh> another "needed" purchase.........

scott.com
02-08-2002, 11:09 PM
Nice seat covers Rick. Dam I would love to get a set of those but they would just kill my bank account with the dam exchange.

rrdstarr
02-09-2002, 11:56 AM
Scott, just ask Jens for my address! They are about $500 US for a complete new set! I got them at a great price "used"!

ChuckH
02-10-2002, 09:26 PM
Rick's covers are really nice and have about 1/4" of extra padding.

SnoDog
02-14-2002, 04:23 PM
FYI - http://www.xterraownersclub.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=25&t=000628

Don't know if SC seats are any better, but I bet they fit...

Xlax
02-17-2002, 03:04 AM
Originally posted by ChuckH
Rick's covers are really nice and have about 1/4" of extra padding.

No Chuck, That Padding belongs to Rick permanently !

About those Ricer bucket seats , You could kiss sleeping in you rig goodbye if you installed them....

C

scott.com
02-17-2002, 01:42 PM
Why would aftermarket seats stop you from sleeping in your X? When I sleep in mine all I have to do is remove the rear seat cushions and put the seats down. Do you think that the cushions won't fit behind the aftermarket seats?

I think the Corbeau's look sweet but will save my cash as I have not had any problems with the normal ones.

ChuckH
02-17-2002, 07:41 PM
I think Xlax was referring more to the true bucket seats that have a fixed back. You could still slide the whole seat forward, but you wouldn't be able to tilt it. In order to make the sleeping area long enough for us taller folks, the seat also needs to tilt forward. Most Of the aftermarket seats that are not specifically "racing Buckets" should flip forward just like we have now though. We could install just one for the driver and still have sleeping room on the passenger side, but that would look pretty stupid in a truck that isn't used primarily for competition of some sort; in which case you'd just remove the otehr seats all together.

scott.com
02-18-2002, 02:13 PM
That's what I thought. Being 5'9" myself I can leave the seats in place and still have enough room to streach out.

When you say flip forward do the front seats do this?

Xlax
02-18-2002, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by scott.com
That's what I thought. Being 5'9" myself I can leave the seats in place and still have enough room to streach out.

When you say flip forward do the front seats do this?

If you are 5.9 I must be 6.7 !!!

I can not streach out without tilting the seats...

C

Add your comment to this topic!