Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Deciding to Buy a Santa Fe

Gman9
07-05-2004, 09:16 AM
Hi everyone. I am hoping you may be able to give me some insight, as I am considering buying a Santa Fe. I am looking at the LX model with the 3.5 liter V-6 and almost all options. I wasn't even looking at the Santa Fe or an SUV, until a friend recommended the Santa Fe. I test drove it and was really sold on it! My problem now is my final decision as I am deciding between two totally different types of cars. On one hand there is the Santa Fe, which impressed me with the way it drives and handles and it is comfortable to me. However, I have never driven an SUV. On the other hand I am also looking at a Volkswagon Passat GLS with a 1.8 liter turbo. Now you may ask why am I looking at such different cars? I have mostly always driven sporty cars and love a car that really gets up and goes, which the Passat does. I was all set to buy the Passat and really love it and then I drove the Santa Fe and now am leaning toward the Santa Fe.

Is there anything that I sould think about that you can enlighten me regarding the Santa Fe? My biggest concerns about buying the Santa Fe is that I'll miss having a sporty car and the gas mileage in the Santa Fe. I would appreciate any input you may be able to give. Thanks.

twospirits
07-05-2004, 02:59 PM
Welcome to that AF family and the Santa Fe Section

I am not all that familiar with the Passat, but feel free to look in the Volkswagon section (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=503)on insights on the vehicle. the best advice I can give is to test drive them, which you have. The gas mileage to me is not that bad, of course the Passat would have better mileage I think and might feel more of a sportier feel to it. But in my experience with the vehicles I've driven before the Santa Fe, I really like the way it drives. Living in NYC there really isn't any offroads (unless you consider the potholes) and you really can't go higher than the speed limit, so I did not go for any other expensive faster suv. But with the warranty, feel, safety, value you can't beat the Santa Fe.

Note that I have the 2.7L V6 LX and I think its the best of both worlds, a better engine than the 2.4 and is better on gas than the 3.5, but the 3.5 does have a better engine and feels a bit more sportier than the 2.7. Plus the newer 3.5 have a few more newer options than the 2.7 and 2.4s.
I do not know if Volkswagaon has an online techincal site for its consumers but Hyundai does and it is an asset for us owners.

Choose but choose wisely. Keep us updated on your selection.
TS out

Bxrdog
07-06-2004, 10:49 AM
You really are looking at 2 different vehicles!!! I own a 2003 Santa Fe AWD LX with the 2.7 liter engine. I love my Santa Fe, it's been a great SUV. As opposed to other SUV's, it rides more like a car. As for the Volkswagon, they are refined cars, they ride great. My brother had 2 of them. The only problem with the Volkswagon's that I have seen is maintenance. The parts are expensive, as are many German cars. He found that they are very hard to work on and not as reliable as most cars. German cars are very refined and have twice as many moving parts as most cars, therefore are more prone to breakdown. Go look at the reliability ratings for Volkswagon vs Hyundai, you will find that Hyundai has become a much more reliable car than Volkswagon. I'm not trying to downgrade Volkswagon, it's just that they tend to be expensive and if I pay that much for a car I don't want to have to worry about expensive repairs or reliablity. One more thing. I don't know where you live, but if it snows 10 inches, you will wish you had a Santa Fe!!!!

twospirits
07-09-2004, 09:12 AM
Speaking of the snow factor, this past winter i was surprised at the Santa Fes handling in the snow. (Trust me it was a bad winter here in NY). I have the Santa Fe for two (winter) years now and I did not noticed until last winter how well it handles in the snow. I saw other vehicles which I thought would do better in the snow, slipping and sliding and getting stuck while the Santa Fe performed great. I did not expect that even though other Santa Fe owners have mentioned it before.

Would I buy the Santa Fe again, heck yeah. Alot of folks are starting to realize what countless others have known for some time now, that for the price, value, warranty and safety, nothing beats a Hyundai.

Add your comment to this topic!