Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

TR 6 Tires

pepjohn
06-30-2004, 08:56 PM
I need to replace the tires on my TR6. The car has redlines on it, but I don't want to replace the tires with redlines. The cost!! It's very difficult to find 185/15 tires to replace them. Any suggestions on what other sizes will work well, and what tire brand would be recommended?

grover432
07-13-2004, 09:37 AM
I went through this in 1993 when I did a total restoration of my TR6. I put Michelin tires on the car. I don't recall the model (which probably isn't current anymore). I would suggest you fnd out what the overall diameter of the redline tire is, then contact the Tire Rack (or just check with a local tire supplier) to search for a radial tire with the same OD. That's what I did and it worked out perfectly.

Bigboat66
07-16-2004, 06:02 PM
I have heard several people put on Dunlop SP40. However, I agree that TireRack should be a great source. If the overall diameter drops a bit then you'll be quicker off the line, have too shift earlier, run at higher rpm's on the freeway and lose some gas mileage. Good luck.

frets14
12-02-2004, 07:05 PM
I need to replace the tires on my TR6. The car has redlines on it, but I don't want to replace the tires with redlines. The cost!! It's very difficult to find 185/15 tires to replace them. Any suggestions on what other sizes will work well, and what tire brand would be recommended?

I replaced the Redlines on my TR6 for the same reason (cost!) My neighbor has had 40 years in the tire business and operates the local tire store. It's now called Expert Tire, but they had previously been a Firestone outlet. One of the brands they carry is called TRIUMPH II. I thought the Triumph tire would be cool on my car. He matched up the width and profile of my old Redline with a P205/70R15. The cost for the set was much less than the cost of the Michelins. Hope that helps.

Add your comment to this topic!