Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

my 2004 GLI 1.8t

BoostedSpyder
06-21-2004, 06:04 PM
alrighty, i just got a new GLI 1.8t and i must say this is one bad ass car. from the Recaro seats to the 18" BBS stock rims i am fully impressed. now i want to toy with it! i am in no way new to turbo's, just new to this setup. also, where can i find specs as to exactly what kind of turbo turbo it is?

the guy at the dealership said i can get a chip, intake and turbo back exhaust system and keep her under waranty, so before i go diving into a shitload of searches, i would like some guidence from you 1.8t guy's in here. yes, i know how to use a search button, but the only thing that does is give me a bunch of products, no real insight from the guy's that are tuning them :)

oh and a quick update on some VW terminology, this is a Mk IV, right?

i'm just a lowly Eclipse guy, so take it easy on me!

Turbo Monster
06-23-2004, 11:59 AM
umm, the only thing I could suggest is to go to the forums at
www.vwvortex.com

You'll find A LOT of help there.

Good luck!

Turbo Monster
06-23-2004, 12:00 PM
oh yeah, pm me if you want any more help!

BoostedSpyder
06-23-2004, 06:34 PM
thanks! i also found '1.8t Club'

thanks for the info!

edspecR
12-16-2004, 01:35 AM
the turbo = k03sport
boosted to 10-12 psi

chip WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY NO MATTER WHAT
anything you do to the car will basically void it

i have a gti 18t and you have a very nice car. better than the eclipse ;)

hm.. more specs bout the turbo... k03 sport means its a k03 exhaust side mated to a k04 intake side. its a very tiny turbo that really cant get you above 350 hp or so. because its so small the power starts to fade around 5700-6000 rpm, so shift gears before then (esp cuz you have 6 speeds... grr) the good thing about it having a smaller exhaust side is less turbo lag.

another helpful piece of info = your motor with the 6 speed = ecu code LQ i think? or was it LP. anyway, so if your gonna buy a chip used, you'll have to know that. your motor = awp (another handy piece of info when buying a chip). if your buying the chip new, then prepare to spend some $$. and like i said before, your warranty WILL be void. no doubt about it. you gotta pay to play.

04GTmustang
12-14-2005, 06:33 PM
legally ur warranty can actually not be voided no matter what. there is a law against teh company voiding ur warranty the only time warranty can be voided is if that part is proven to of caused a problem. and the chip should not cause a problem and the turbo back and intake in no way will cause a problem it with actually help the engine out and make it run much better. i have a gt mustang and its the same thing my engine runs way more efficient with my exhaust and intake than it use to and ill have my computer tuned up here on xmas and that will not harm the car unless i somehow tune it wrong and bump the time up really really high and get spark knock like crazy. so dont worry about the warranty the vw dealer cannot void it so have fun modding. i dont know a whole lot bout the glis but my friend has one and i tell him the same stuff bout the warranty and he is just a bit afraid to do it. good luck with teh car man lata

edspecR
12-16-2005, 12:02 PM
legally ur warranty can actually not be voided no matter what. there is a law against teh company voiding ur warranty the only time warranty can be voided is if that part is proven to of caused a problem. and the chip should not cause a problem and the turbo back and intake in no way will cause a problem it with actually help the engine out and make it run much better. i have a gt mustang and its the same thing my engine runs way more efficient with my exhaust and intake than it use to and ill have my computer tuned up here on xmas and that will not harm the car unless i somehow tune it wrong and bump the time up really really high and get spark knock like crazy. so dont worry about the warranty the vw dealer cannot void it so have fun modding. i dont know a whole lot bout the glis but my friend has one and i tell him the same stuff bout the warranty and he is just a bit afraid to do it. good luck with teh car man lata

wow... maybe its like that for you mustang people, but have you tried vw dealerships? a chip WILL void warranty, it can be connected to any problem relating to the engine, can be related to any problem involving wear and tear, can be related to any fuel related issues, heck, they'll probably stick "creaking chassis" on the chip cuz you're running "out of design specifications"

other smaller things, such as exhaust, wont void the warranty completely, since exhausts only deal with... exhaust. a chip on the other hand? thats a whole 'nother can of worms. chips on american cars (pardon my bias) are pretty useless. im not talking standalone or things like that, im talking updated ecu's. for american cars... you probably wouldn't even bother having one. on european cars... one chip takes over ALOT of aspects on the car.

Add your comment to this topic!